Notifications
Clear all

Derm Wont Increase Dosage Very Low

MemberMember
(@zabfabdab123)

Posted : 06/14/2015 8:49 am

Hi ive had acne for a long time and have just started accutane around two and a half months ago ,since starting ive seen some noticible effect with very little side effects , but my skin still has breakouts and ive asked to increase the dosage.

i started accutane 27th march 2015 and have been taking a daily dose of 20mg up untill today ( june 15 2015)

total 80! days on a low dose of 20mg .

i weigh 80kg and the minimum dose for my bodyweight is 0.5mg per kg? = 40mg

my first blood test was only roughly two weeks ago due to missing a blood test due 4 weeks in. The derm is always hard to get hold of and even through phonecalls she maintained i should stay on 20mg till my blood test , she concluded through the last blood test that i should stay on 20mg , which is fair that my liver values are high but i really dont want to be on this drug long term.

i would have expected to see completley clear skin 2and a half months in but i know the drug takes time to work.

my question is how long will the duration of the course be if i continue to take a tiny doseage of accutane.

and is there a higher risk of remission with a lower dose?

im getting little feedback from the dermatoligist and i dont think she understands how frustrating it is to want to get it over with (the accutane ) and hasnt really acknowledged ive been taking such a low dosage for so long.

anyone guess what the derms thinking? for example 20 mg first two months 40 the next two ... etc?>

when does treatment stop? when it reaches some number?

sorry for the wall of text and if you did read it hope you respond ,

thankyou .

MemberMember
(@jennjennjenn)

Posted : 06/14/2015 2:49 pm

Without us seeing your blood test results, which is clearly informing your derm's decision making, there's no way for us to know why she doesn't think your body can handle it.

Yes, there is an increased chance of remission if you take a longer term lower dose. However, that's better than having horrible health effects because you took too much and your body couldn't deal with it.