Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swell

Tanning with Retin-A-Micro.

Has anyone actually tried? I realize it's a big no-no, but I'm stubborn, very stubborn. I'm going to be at arizona state university anyways, and certainly I'm not going to sit in the shade during pool parties biggrin.gif

I have a friend that has done it on differin and minocycline, with nooo problem, and getting reallly dark, and he has similar skin to mine. I really never burn, and know my limits. But, I have to admit, I don't know my limit while on R.A.M. Of course I'd be careful, and take it easy, but wondering if anyone has done it and could help figure out just how easy I need to go.

You can get hyperpigmentation problems with sun and any retinoids. It is not just burning you should worry about.Sun exposure makes acne worse, so it truly isn't worth it.Throw on some decent sunscreen...it's easy, then you have no worries. cool.gif

You can get hyperpigmentation problems with sun and any retinoids. It is not just burning you should worry about.Sun exposure makes acne worse, so it truly isn't worth it.Throw on some decent sunscreen...it's easy, then you have no worries. cool.gif

The facts are that 90% of sufferers get worse with sun exposure, and this person is on Retin A, which can cause serious problems with sun.Hyperpigmentation is darn tough to get rid of and the most effective treatments are quite expensive.I am glad you get relief from sun.But sun does other damage to the skin, and that damage is permanent.My grandmother had to have plastic surgery from skin cancer on her face, and she was mixed race thinking she was immune to sun dangers.Slapping a little sunscreen on is small inconvenience when you weigh out the risks, especially if you are are meds that increase those risks.

The sun is a very bad idea, and reveals only temporary improvements, when someone is tanned it is a sign of damaged skin, it cannot fight bacteria as well, and is more prone to scarring. Use a screen or stay in the shade, its not worth it I know.

The facts are that 90% of sufferers get worse with sun exposure, and this person is on Retin A, which can cause serious problems with sun.Hyperpigmentation is darn tough to get rid of and the most effective treatments are quite expensive.I am glad you get relief from sun.But sun does other damage to the skin, and that damage is permanent.My grandmother had to have plastic surgery from skin cancer on her face, and she was mixed race thinking she was immune to sun dangers.Slapping a little sunscreen on is small inconvenience when you weigh out the risks, especially if you are are meds that increase those risks.

What does my nation of origin have to do with wearing sunscreen? I live in the northern US, true.You live in Denmark.Did you read that our friend who asked this question lives in Arizona.Goes to ASU...in the southwestern US?The sunlight there is much more intense.They get sunny days over 300 days a year.No one has to live in the shade, but check the PDR.It's going to tell you that Retin A makes you photosensitive.My being American didn't suddenly invent that fact.While there are a few conditions that can improve with UV exposure, skin cancer risk dramatically increases with sun exposure esp if you are light skinned.My being American didn't invent that either.My grandmother lived on a farm and worked outdoors most of her life before sunscreens were readily available, and because she was half native American and darker skinnned she didn't worry about sun even after she moved to Florida.... until she needed a huge piece of her face right below her eye cut out and it kept coming back requiring more surgery.Any derm worth the money will tell you skin cancer is on the rise and to be careful.UVA beds pose the worst risk because the longer wavelengths of UV radiation don't burn but do penetrate deeper causing damage at the most vulnerable layers of the skin.Again my nation origin didn't cause that either.Treating acne with sunlamps went out with Disco,bellbottoms and leaded gas in the 1970's. lol.gif

The only thing I've have ever found in probably hundreds of dollars spent on acne treatments, the ONLY thing that clears me up is the sun.

I dont break out more, I clear up 100%. Any chance I get, I go into the sun. It works sorta as a peel I guess? But I know that I TOTALLY clear up after some time in the sun.

I have absolutely no idea about this Retin A & sun thing, so I can't comment on that..

I just wanted to add that I'm one of the people who's skin definitely improves with sun. It helps with my acne and with my eczema.

I live in the UK though, so we don't get huge amounts of it!

I do burn quite easily, so am always very careful not to get burned.

I do think some people go to extremes about the damage the sun does (obviously, I'm no expert and I'm not saying anyone here is going to extremes).. but the sun is natural.. it's been around for ever.. and without it, we wouldn't be living.. so surely it must have some benefits..

Now.. in no way am I saying don't use sunscreen, but there have been studies lately (I don't remember the source, I'm afraid) showing that there's a possibility of sunscreens causing free radicals and increasing the risk of skin cancer. there are always 'natural' sunscreens available though

I think the best idea is to be sensible in the sun smile.gif