Notifications
Clear all

Bpo+Bha+Retinol

MemberMember
(@juliaserrano12)

Posted : 06/04/2015 2:06 pm

hello. this is my new skin care routine I've been doing for the last week. let me know what you think, if it's too much or too little or what. so far I've definitely seen improvements in my skin

MORNING

wash-(simple cleanser)

tone with 1:3 ratio vinegar and water with a drop of tea tree oil

dry 10 min

bha (salicylic acid) 2% lotion (clearasil)

dry 10 min

benzoyl peroxide 2% (from acne.org)

dry 10 min

retinol a (neutrogena)

dry 10 min

spf moisturizer

NIGHT

cleanse

tone (same w vinegar& tea tree )

10% glycolic acid (peter thomas roth)

dry 10 min

2.5 benzoyl peroxide

dry 10 min

retinol a (neutrogena)

Main difference is in AM I use salicylic acid, night I use glycolic

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/04/2015 3:04 pm

Hi - BP and retinol don't mix (for the most part - unless it's a formulation specifically created to, it sounds like yours is over the counter). BP actually interacts with retinol to the extent that it substantially reduces retinol's positive effects while increasing the negative side-effects. I could be wrong on the nature of the interaction, but I am positive that retinol and BP should generally not be used together.

Additionally, retinol shouldn't be used during the the day, retinol is light reactive, meaning exposure to light reduces effectiveness (SPF doesn't really change the matter in this case). You may want to use retinol only at night, right before you go to bed. Also, pay attention to that SPF you are using. All of those active ingredients magnify harmful effects of sun exposure, so make sure the SPF you are using is a good one. You don't want to replace pimples with wrinkles and sun spots!

To be completely honest, that regimen seems very harsh - I really think you are going to see a whole bunch of peeling, redness and a dramatic increase in inflammation. I would start off slow. Maybe use only SA or glycolic acid once a day (i.e. one or the other) for a few weeks. Retinol only at night, every other night, and BP in the AM. Then slowly add in ingredients, than slowly amp up timing. You risk making things a whole lot worse if you start this all off at once, depending on how bad your inflammation already is.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 06/04/2015 6:37 pm

Hi

I tend to agree with megtree, you seem to be using too many strong products at once.

My daughter was prescribed a retinol by her dermatologist and a bp product (Benzaclin) and was told to use the bp in the morning and the retinol at night only, and never use them together (as megtree mentioned) because the bp can render the retinol ineffective.

However if you are finding success with your regimen then I am not trying to dissuade you from continuing.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@sour-grapes)

Posted : 06/07/2015 4:51 am

What's the point of using 4 different exfoliants every morning and night? I don't know how tough your skin is, but you are just asking for a chemical burn.