Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just got my hair colored and put some red in which alone fades pretty fast. Im using a color protector shampoo and conditioner that I got from my salon. Prior getting my hair colored I was using a shampoo for dandruff and dry scalp control to help combat the dry scalp caused by the use of accutane. I can’t use that now, I don’t want my color to fade too quickly ( I know it will eventually but I’d like to get the most time out of it.) andhave a feeling that it will strip the color out of my hair. Anyone know of something I can put on my scalp that is not a shampoo or conditioner, that will help w/the dry scalp because its very itchy and starting to hurt and flake!!! sad.gif

I bought some yesterday Emma - it smells a little different to what I expected or what coconut fragranced things usually smell like. I put it on my face last night and this morning. I will keep on doing it for a week or so - I'll send you and update if I spontaneously break out in boils. eek.gif

you're putting OIL on your face? Scarey, aren't you afraid it will break out? Im really into natural and holistic healing/beauty and learning to make my own moisturizers eventually, but I would fear putting something with oil right on my face.. especially only being on tane for 9 days. Definitely let me know how it works...

well I have only done two applications. But your face appears greasy for about 10 minutes the greasiness completely disappears (unlike Bio Oil - blech). As for any outbreaks I will let you know.

^ and often times an overgrowth of fungus. Which is why stuff like tea tree oil, acv, coconut oil can clear it.

LOL.

Well I would also like to unscientifically speculate that yeasts play some under researched role in the formation of acne. But another time maybe. wink.gif

As for dandruff...often implicated is Pityrosporum ovale a normal resident skin yeast which can get out of hand given the right conditions. Hence the inclusion of ketaconzale an antifungal in shampoos like Nizoral etc.

Tea Tree is a general antifungal - so it will kill candida (thrush) tinea infections (athletes foot) and Dandruff as well and I imagine any fungus pretty much. As for Vinegar it also a traditional treatment for Candida - I don't know if it has any anti fungal qualities but it is certainly acid to make an environment uninhabitable for yeasts. And I imagine for the same reasons it works against dandruff. Coconut oil I am only just learning about now but it appears to have a range of anti bac anti vioral qualities. I haven't heard any mention of specific antifungal attributes...but apparently it is the caprylic acid in it which may kill fungus.

as for exact processes/directions just google yourself some recipes.

so how's the coconut oil going for those who tried it? is it effective? i have dandruff (i guess my type of condition should be classified as seborrheic dermatitis) on my eyebrows... the worst area to have it on... just tried rubbing some on them.

edit: for my case, it's troublesome to use shampoo on the area above my eyes, and it's causing me to lose a lot of eyebrows. my oily face contributes to the excessive growth of the pityrosporum ovale fungus i guess... =(

MsDominatus,

What would lead you to believe that dandruff shampoo would cause your color to fade? Perhaps if you use it every time you shampoo it would, but I also have color treated hair (blonde with red streaks) and use Nizoral shampoo. I know what you mean about the red fading quickly, but I use the Nizoral shampoo about once every week or two and haven't had any problems with extra fading. I don't know...maybe it's because I don't use it very frequently and use the really high quality color protecting products the rest of the time? Honestly, I never gave it much thought until you mentioned this idea. Hmmm...intersting. eusa_think.gif

MsDominatus,

What would lead you to believe that dandruff shampoo would cause your color to fade?  Perhaps if you use it every time you shampoo it would, but I also have color treated hair (blonde with red streaks) and use Nizoral shampoo.  I know what you mean about the red fading quickly, but I use the Nizoral shampoo about once every week or two and haven't had any problems with extra fading.  I don't know...maybe it's because I don't use it very frequently and use the really high quality color protecting products the rest of the time?  Honestly, I never gave it much thought until you mentioned this idea.  Hmmm...intersting.  eusa_think.gif

The Nizoral is a prescription shampoo, which I get from my Dermatologist.

The hair products I use is a line called Pureology. They are, by far, the best I have ever used. Very pricey, but very concentrated and VERY worth it. Been using them for about 2 years and never looked back...not once. You can check out their website at:

Pureology

And you may be right about dandruff shampoos containing glycerin and thus, stripping your color. I just never gave it any thought until now. And again, the Nizoral is so strong that I only have to use it about once every week or two weeks. That's IT...

Good luck. smile.gif