Notifications
Clear all

5 Years Post Accutane...swollen Lymph Nodes

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 06/02/2015 11:54 am

Hey people

I woke up about 13 days ago with a bad sore throat, fever, and swollen lymph nodes on my neck. All symptoms went away after 4 days except for (to this day)the swollen lymph nodes. I visited the doc and he prescribed by penicillin for 10 days. It's been 5 days on that medication and still no difference in the lymph node. The doc said if it hasn't gone away in another week, that I should come in and get a biopsy done.

I am worried :(

I know my body (and mind) has not been the same since accutane. I took it about 5 years ago. Now I'm 30. For the past 5 years, I've been experiencing continual hair loss, joint pain and stiffness, fatigue, mental confusion, anxiety, and depression. I'm sure these are caused by accutane because there is nothing else that can be causing all of these things.

I know accutane affects the liver and I know the lymphatic system is the body's sewage system. Maybe my body's lymphatic system is clogged or something, which has caused my lymph nodes to swell.

side note: I've been lifting in the gym for the past 4 months, and taking whey protein suppliments. Do you think the high protein diet I've be consuming (about 200g/day) has anything to do with this?

Thanks in advance. Any feedback is appreciated.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/02/2015 12:32 pm

Hi - I am not a doctor, but your symptoms sound like classic mononucleosis which is a viral disease that causes all of the problems you are describing. Unless they have already tested for mono and it's come back negative- you may want to bring the thought up with your doctor. It's very easy to catch (usually transferred through saliva or sweat, it wouldn't surprise me if you may have caught it at the gym) and it is notoriously overlooked by doctors in making diagnoses.

Here is a link explaining mono: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mononucleosis/basics/symptoms/con-20021164

The thing about Mono is it takes quite a bit of time to recover completely - and it's viral, so there really isn't a whole lot you can do but get rest. I am not saying it explains your symptoms over the past 5 years, but it wouldn't surprise me if mono is the reason why your lymph nodes are still swollen.

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 06/03/2015 9:11 pm

Hi - I am not a doctor, but your symptoms sound like classic mononucleosis which is a viral disease that causes all of the problems you are describing. Unless they have already tested for mono and it's come back negative- you may want to bring the thought up with your doctor. It's very easy to catch (usually transferred through saliva or sweat, it wouldn't surprise me if you may have caught it at the gym) and it is notoriously overlooked by doctors in making diagnoses.

Here is a link explaining mono: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mononucleosis/basics/symptoms/con-20021164

The thing about Mono is it takes quite a bit of time to recover completely - and it's viral, so there really isn't a whole lot you can do but get rest. I am not saying it explains your symptoms over the past 5 years, but it wouldn't surprise me if mono is the reason why your lymph nodes are still swollen.

Thankyou very much for your feedback and for the link. I will bring it up with my doc tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@lll3)

Posted : 06/04/2015 10:49 am

Last night in my sleep, I woke up with a cold sweat the feeling feverish and dizzy. I feel something in my upper left abdomen, where my spleen should be. Is this normal for mono, considering all symptom dissappeared for over a week and then this happens?? thanks in advance

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/04/2015 1:59 pm

Last night in my sleep, I woke up with a cold sweat the feeling feverish and dizzy. I feel something in my upper left abdomen, where my spleen should be. Is this normal for mono, considering all symptom dissappeared for over a week and then this happens?? thanks in advance

Swollen spleen is a known side effect of mono, yes - but I think that is in severe case. You should really call your doctor's office to get an appointment if you are concerned and you aren't improving, especially if you had a fever overnight.