Notifications
Clear all

First Time On Accutane (Log/journey Through It)

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 05/30/2015 10:17 pm

Hello!

I have been on this site for more than a year, but today I decided to join in, especially since I have been prescribed Accutane for the first time and I would like to keep a log to reflect on the progress I hope to make. I will update as much as I can.

Bio:

Weight: 97lbs / 44 kgs

Height: 5"2

Acne Story:

I first had acne in 2009 (after I hit puberty) and it was always focussed on my forehead, my back, and my chest. This was mainly in middle school and when I hit high school, the acne from my back was healing, but it still remained on my chest and on my forehead. I started clearing up in my senior year, and I would only get a couple spots here and then (mainly around my menstrual period) or when I was super stressed. Unfortunately, after my graduation, the acne started coming back more severely. In 2014, I started having cystic acne, especially the horrible and painful cysts on my chin. I was prescribed Doxycycline, which worked for two months, and now currently, the cysts have returned and my acne has been worse than it ever has been. Not only are the cysts back on my chin, but they are around my jawline and I get tons of acne in places I never had them before (in the cheek area and near the mouth). My forehead remains fairly clear with a couple pimples.

Prescriptions:

Benzoyl Peroxide [2.5% and 5%] (2 months, my skin reacted negatively to it)

Minocycline [100 mg] (1 year)

Doxycycline [100 mg] (5 months)

OTC:

Clearasil, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, ProActive, Simple products, etc. nearly every acne related OTC product imagineable used to no avail.

Process of getting Accutane:

I live in Canada (and when I was doing my research on trying to get on accutane, the process seemed so tedious in the U.S.) but the process of getting it was really easy. I didn't have to go to a dermatologist; I went to my doctor and asked him for it, telling him that I really wanted Accutane and he agreed to give it to me. I was prescribed 40 mg of it, but I was prescribed Epuris, which my doctor explained was the Canadian version of Accutane but still had the same chemical properties (maybe it was generic & cheaper). He gave me the prescription for it and I got the prescription a couple days (3 days) after I did the bloodwork.

Since I am a girl, my doctor was really adamant and strict on me not getting pregnant, but he didn't make me go on birth control. (Rest assured, the birth control would've been redundant as I don't have a boyfriend, am not sexually active, and am celibate).

Day 1/2

Side Effects: Nothing noticeable yet. Super worried about the initial breakout though, but I'm hoping it will pass by quickly!

MemberMember
(@mruglyskin)

Posted : 05/31/2015 3:19 am

Best of luck!

Accutane didn't clear me completely but boy has my acne never been better and more tolerable.

If My Isotretinoin gel fails, it'll be back to Accutane for me and hopefully that'd finish my mild/moderate-ish acne.

I wish you well!

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/01/2015 2:33 pm

Best of luck!

Accutane didn't clear me completely but boy has my acne never been better and more tolerable.

If My Isotretinoin gel fails, it'll be back to Accutane for me and hopefully that'd finish my mild/moderate-ish acne.

I wish you well!

Thank you! I have high hopes for Accutane, but even if it doesn't go away completely, I want my skin to be a little more manageable!

Good luck to you too! :)

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/02/2015 5:40 pm

Day 3

Side Effects: Woke up with extreme knee joint pain, but went away by the end of the day.

Day 4

Side Effects: Joint pain is all gone now. A bunch of pimples and small cysts forming around my neck and the back of my neck. Nothing noticeable yet.

Day 5

Side Effects: Woke up with a couple small whiteheads on the face, but nothing drastic enough to be called an initial breakout. Not feeling the drying effects yet as my face has been producing the same amount of oil it always has.

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/05/2015 5:27 pm

Day 6:

Side Effects: Woke up with a really big pimple above my lip and on my chin. They rose to a whitehead quickly and I find that they're really sensitive and susceptible to popping, so I've got small craters where they popped Still no noticeable side effects and no initial breakout.

Day 7:

Side Effects: Finally one week on Accutane! I woke up with really dry lips, but they're manageable. Big whiteheads are appearing around my mouth and really painful. The cysts on my neck and jawline are diminishing, but there are a lot of scarring.

Day 8:

Side Effects: I'm hoping I don't scar as much as these whiteheads just grow and pop so easily My lips are still super dry and they have been cracking more today than last night. My allergies have been rising so my nose has been runny but I had a small nosebleed today, even though it was runny. Still no initial breakout though (dreading it so much and hoping it comes quickly and passes by). I'm getting a little impatient because some people see effects really quickly and I'm still oily as ever and breaking out the same amount. I had the doctor explain to me that it's a really toxic drug but I'm just curious as to why it takes a full month for the drug to be fully in your system?? Hopefully next week will be better!

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/07/2015 10:00 pm

Day 9:

Side Effects: Not too sure if I'm experiencing the initial breakout or not but I've been getting lots of pimples around my mouth area. Lips are dry still and are cracking, but still not other side effects! I'm getting so impatient with this drug. I've noticed that my face has been getting more redder? It might just be because I'm still using my old face washes (even though I bought new ones for my journey through Accutane), but I'm not too sure. The tip of my nose is starting to flake a little, but not too crazy.

Day 10:

Side Effects: Skin was super sensitive today. I usually do strenuous runs on Sundays and during my run today, it was unbearable. I wore sunscreen, but it felt like my face was on fire and it was super itchy. After working out, my skin was sensitive to touch and throughout the day, it was unbearable for me to stay outside where it was super hot, humid, and sunny. Face is still super red, especially when I'm somewhere hot or the sun is shining. Still no noticeable effects other than the cracking lips. A cyst is appearing on my left cheek and my left cheek is usually the one place where acne never reaches so perhaps this week I'll be getting the initial breakout?

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/09/2015 1:40 pm

Day 11:

Side Effects: Still no initial breakout! I heard that apparently, if you get the initial breakout, the chances of going back on Accutane are reduced so people with the initial breakout may just have the once course and that's it. It feels like nothing is really happening to my face and the bacteria in my pores aren't surfacing. Maybe it's still too early and once I go back to my doctor after 5 weeks to get my refill, he will up my dosage. Weather was insane today, it was 31 degrees Celsius so my face was extremely sensitive and my lips were chapped like crazy. My face is still breaking out the same amount before I went on Accutane so no noticeable changes.

Day 12:

Side Effects: I woke up today with very small pimples forming on my cheeks and around my lip area. Hopefully this will be the start of my initial breakout! I'm hoping I get the breakout this month because I do have time off work this month and would rather have it done and over with than going back to work and then having a massive outbreak. Side effects are hitting a little harder now. The atmosphere here has been dry lately and that doesn't help my bloody nose. Pimples are still manageable, same as always. Skin feels a little more tighter than usual, so maybe this means that my face is starting to dry up. I'm still using the same old cleansers and moisturizers I used before Accutane because I don't feel the need to switch over to my CeraVe or Cetaphil cleansers ad moisturizers just yet, Hopefully by the end of this week I'll get my breakout!

MemberMember
(@barbiebarbi3)

Posted : 06/10/2015 11:51 am

Im starting Accutane later on this month. Im glad youre doing the daily updates as it can prepare me for things that might happen to me. Do you know if Accutane helps with dark marks (scarring)?

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/11/2015 12:13 pm

Im starting Accutane later on this month. Im glad youre doing the daily updates as it can prepare me for things that might happen to me. Do you know if Accutane helps with dark marks (scarring)?

Yay! It's an exciting, but hard journey but I'm hoping in the long run it's worth it! As for the dark marks, I definitely notice less scarring on Accutane. That being said, any whitehead that appears whilst on this drug will go away very quickly, but the lingering red marks are substantial, and there will be lots of redness on this drug unfortunately, so it accentuated on the scarring I had prior and during. I also use Aveeno Positively Radiant Targeted Tone Corrector on the dark marks and it works wonders on any scarring that you may have right now or during your course. I heard that when people are finished this drug, all they have to focus on are the scar marks and the red marks, but for me, being on Accutane minimized any scarring, but for the scarring prior to Accutane, the Aveeno Corrector is what helped me the most!

Hope I helped! And best wishes going through Accutane! :)

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/11/2015 12:34 pm

Day 13:
Side Effects:
I'm starting to feel one of the horrible side effects of Accutane! A dry and itchy scalp. I honestly thought I would not be getting a dry scalp; I was more worried about the dry face and body haha. But it's worse in the night and it takes me forever trying to sleep. Other than that, my body has been getting more dry. The back of my hands are flaking off a little, but nothing a body moisturizer can't fix! Lips are still dry, but nothing as uncomfortable as the dry scalp. Apparently the dry scalp lasts approximately 2-4 weeks, but I am praying it goes away soon. Face has become super itchy lately, but it's not due to any drying because my face is still oily (not as oily as before starting Accutane but still fairly oily). Pimples come and go more quicker than usual. For example, I started work at 5 and I didn't have any whiteheads (not even small cysts) and when I got off work at 11, there were some small whiteheads around my mouth! So hopefully this is my small purge. Face is incredibly red. I have never had this red of a face before and I had a fairly pale complexion. And my friend took a Polaroid of my friends and I and prior to being on Accutane, Polaroids are the types of cameras that makes people's face pale as a ghost. Well, this Polaroid made everyone else but me appear pale. In the picture, it was clear that I had tons of discolouration and of redness. I hope this is just a temporary side effect.

Day 14:
Side Effects:
Wow! I full two weeks on Accutane. I had super high expectations of this drug, especially on the part that I would be seeing the side effects the first week since it's such a toxic drug. The itchy and dry scalp has reached the maximum scale of discomfort to the point where I was scratching and I saw blood on my nails. I'll be getting some kind of shampoo today to help with it, but any suggestions would be nice! I heard mixed reviews about Head & Shoulders (since it's not technically dandruff), Neutrogena T-Gel (it has drying effects), etc. The only common thing I found was Jojoba oil works wonders and to minimize (or even stop) shampoo, but instead, just conditioning my hair. I think I'll look for something with the oil and also a thick hair mask because it sounds so soothing. Other than the crazy itchiness of my horrid scalp, my hands have been flaking off as well and as soon as I woke up and sat up, I had a small nosebleed. Eyes are swollen from allergies and eyes are a little more dry. I've got 2.5 more weeks left on this before I go back for a refill and to see my doctor. He said that he will either keep me on 40mg if it's working well enough for me, but if it's not, he will probably increase the dosage, which worries me because increased dosage could mean the horrible breakout I've been patiently waiting for. I'll be camping Friday through Sunday so hopefully I'll notice some more substantial changes. Happy early weekend xx

MemberMember
(@barbiebarbi3)

Posted : 06/12/2015 1:19 pm

Oh Man. Im A Little Nervous About Starting Accutane Now. I Hope My Side Effects Are Less. I Will Buy The Aveeno Tone Corrector And See How It Works On My Dark Marks. Thank You For The Advice :)

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/14/2015 9:43 pm

Day 15

Side Effects: Still no bad side effects. My scalp has not been that itchy anymore, but it has been flaking off so easily which is disgusting. Other than that, it has been pretty much the same old. I went for a run today and it seems like my joint pain has slightly returned, in the knees. Not as bad as when I started, but still painful enough for me to stop my vigorous runs :(

Day 16:

Side Effects: My face has been flaking off so easily alongside my scalp! It also gets very itchy so it's horrible. I try to apply my moisturizer and sunscreen and at first, it will go on very smoothly, but after an hour, everything will start to peel, especially around problematic areas. It's mainly around my nose, around my lips (above my lips and especially my chin), and a little bit on my forehead. It makes me want to exfoliate because of all the dead skin! If anyone knows if I should exfoliate, that would be great! Pimples are still the same amount before I started Accutane so no difference whatsoever.

Day 17:

Side Effects: Today was one of my bad days. I'm not sure if being on Accutane makes my allergies worse or something but I always wake up with my eyes itching and it will last through the whole day, even though I'm taking 30mg of Reactine. My allergies were always manageable prior to taking Accutane but now being on it, it seems like my eyes are constantly itching and dry. Not too sure if this is a common side effect or if it's seriously just horrible allergy season. Skin is still flaking off and seems like everyone who talks to me notices all the patches of dry skin on my face. I'm having a mini breakout along my jawline and both of my cheeks and some whiteheads on my chin. Not enough to call it an initial breakout though :( Hopefully this following week will be my purge.

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/17/2015 3:46 pm

Day 18:

Side Effects: Today was definitely one of the worst days my face has ever had, but not necessarily acne wise. The area around my nose and mouth have been incredibly dry to the point where applying moisturizer and sunscreen is the hardest part of my day. I will need to apply three layers of moisturizer in separate time frames in order for the flakiness to go away, and not to mention, applying sunscreen is so hard because the dry patches make the sunscreen go on so patchy and I'm using a water based sunscreen! The flakiness has been so bad, I went to work at 5, my face prepped with layers and layers of moisturizer, and by 7, the flakiness would just come back. Not to mention, there are small cysts growing on the right side of my cheek. :( I'm not upset about the acne as I am hoping my initial breakout hurries up so I can get over it, but it's the flakiness that is making me so self conscious! But on the bright side, I definitely notice my body drying up. The last time I actually washed my hair was Thursday, so it has been nearly 4 days and my hair still feels like it's not nearly on the point of second day old hair. I use to have extremely oily hair to the point where I'd have to wash my hair every day so this is a change, and a good one at that.

Day 19:

Side Effects: No changes in anything. I have noticed that my forehead has been pretty clear and to be honest, my acne has seem better before I went on Accutane. I think I'm still getting the same amount but they go away so much quicker so I'm glad. One thing I will say though is that you must stay hydrated. I went on a 10 mile run today in blistering heat with the sun shining down on me and I have never struggled so much in my life before. Usually, I would be fine with long distance runs, but today, I could barely run without feeling like I would pass out from dehydration. So whatever you do, just make sure you're constantly chugging water throughout the day, even if you feel like you don't need it. Aside from that, also make sure you're wearing sunscreen every day. I know that even though it's cloudy, the sun UV rays will pass through the clouds and your skin is so sensitive on Accutane, and it'll make it more prone to get sunburns.

Day 20:

Side Effects: Woke up today with the most grossest complexion I ever had. My skin is literally peeling off, my lips were bleeding, and the sides of my mouth hurt from getting so chapped and dry. I want to say I'm getting the initial breakout but I'm not sure!? I'm getting so many small cysts on my right cheek and especially on my jawline. It may be the initial breakout because the acne looks worse than it has in these areas, but I still don't think it is because I thought the IB meant breaking out everywhere horrendously, especially in places where you don't normally get acne? Aside from that, I notice small pimples forming on my chest, which isn't that big of a deal. Also, another plus of being on Accutane is that my eyelids are no longer oily! This has always been such a big issue for me because whenever I use to wear eyeshadow and eyeliner (whether it be liquid, or gel, or pencil), the makeup will always smear off by the end of the day and my eyeshadow will always crease and those were all due to the oil. Now being on Accutane, my makeup has never stayed better in place! Good to know that there are some pros to being on Accutane, even though a majority are cons. I've got 3.5 more weeks to go before I get a refill and maybe if my doctor increases my dosage, I will finally get the IB.

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/19/2015 7:10 pm

Day 21:

Side Effects: Ughhhhhhhhhhhh, one of my bad days on Accutane :( the right side of my face and jawline is covered with pimples and red marks, but I am still not pleased enough to say that it's the IB since I feel like I might have had worse of a breakout than this. Other than that, nothing new.

Day 22:

Side Effects: May or may not be experiencing the IB... Big pimples are forming still on my right cheek and jawline and I feel a massive cyst on my chin (might be due to my late menstrual cycle and stress due to exams and revisions). My forehead has been extremely clear and pimples aren't forming around my upper lips anymore (which was always a problematic area).

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/21/2015 11:03 am

Day 23:

Side Effects: The big breakout on my right side is slowing down, but still noticeable. Other than those breakouts and the massive cyst forming on my chin, there is nothing new. Menstrual cycle is now a week late, which could be causing these breakouts.

Day 24:

Side Effects: Red marks all over the right side of my face :( I feel cysts coming on under my nose and on my chin and I'm hoping it will be the IB. Ot so her than that, nothing new to report. My skin has been better with dryness compared to last week. I don't get flaking anymore and my face is not as itchy. Lips aren't too chapped either. My scalp is no longer itchy or dry, so that's a good thing. Things are going pretty smoothly so far I'd say. :)

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/22/2015 12:00 pm

Day 24:

Side Effects: Very bummed out by the state of my face right now! I have a massive cyst on my chin and smaller cysts on my right cheek and small painful whiteheads! And I'm still not pleased enough to say that it's the IB because I honestly feel like I have had worse breakouts before :| Isn't the IB suppose to be your worst?

Another thing I've noticed is that I'm losing more of my hair. Prior to Accutane, I was losing a lot of hair, I think just mainly to my hair being so long and I was stressed out constantly. However, now I'm losing more than that, and it's a little disheartening to see so much of my hair fall out :( Another good thing though is that I don't have to wash my hair as much. I can probably go a full week without washing my hair and it will not even look like second day hair!

Another thing to mention is that I suffer from anxiety and I think Accutane has decreased some of it? I'm not too sure though, I just feel less anxious nowadays and that could or could not be related to the drug at all. Anyways, just hoping this breakout will go away this week!

MemberMember
(@jaimieb94)

Posted : 06/22/2015 3:08 pm

Hey, congrats on almost getting through your first month!!

Just wanted to see if you found anything that works well for your dry scalp! I'll be going on Accutane as soon as I go through the whole iPledge screening process and I'm trying to prepare as much as possible! I currently have a super oily scalp but I have really bad dandruff so I use Head & Shoulders Oil Control. Just wondering if you've found a good product for a scalp that is undergoing the effects of Accutane!

Also, do you just use normal sunscreen or do you use a face moisturizer with SPF in it? That just sounds more gentle to me so I wanted to see if you found a product like that that works well!

I also just wanted to encourage you that from just reading countless blogs, reviews, and watching a bunch of videos that everyone's journey is different! I know it's only human to both dread and anticipate an IB, but you might not even get one! I've also read the myth that an IB means that you're less likely to relapse, but I can't really see how this can be proven. Accutane's ways are a pretty big mystery, so just try taking it each day at a time! I know it's sooo easy to just get out of bed and go straight to the mirror to see what happened to your face while you weren't looking, but just try to remember that the journey to clear skin is a process and no one's process looks exactly the same :)

Wishing you all the best!!

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/22/2015 10:30 pm

Hey, congrats on almost getting through your first month!!

Just wanted to see if you found anything that works well for your dry scalp! I'll be going on Accutane as soon as I go through the whole iPledge screening process and I'm trying to prepare as much as possible! I currently have a super oily scalp but I have really bad dandruff so I use Head & Shoulders Oil Control. Just wondering if you've found a good product for a scalp that is undergoing the effects of Accutane!

Also, do you just use normal sunscreen or do you use a face moisturizer with SPF in it? That just sounds more gentle to me so I wanted to see if you found a product like that that works well!

I also just wanted to encourage you that from just reading countless blogs, reviews, and watching a bunch of videos that everyone's journey is different! I know it's only human to both dread and anticipate an IB, but you might not even get one! I've also read the myth that an IB means that you're less likely to relapse, but I can't really see how this can be proven. Accutane's ways are a pretty big mystery, so just try taking it each day at a time! I know it's sooo easy to just get out of bed and go straight to the mirror to see what happened to your face while you weren't looking, but just try to remember that the journey to clear skin is a process and no one's process looks exactly the same :)

Wishing you all the best!!

Hello! Thanks! It has been quite a month!

I'm currently using RenPure Coconut Cream shampoo and the Argan Oil Conditioner. I rarely have to wash my hair, maybe 2-3x a week now and you just have to make sure that you're lathering the conditioner on your scalp (which helps soothe it for me). I read that Head & Shoulders may not be good for the course on Accutane just because the itchiness is just dryness from your scalp and not necessarily dandruff. I know for me, prior to being on Accutane, I had a really oily head too; I'd have to wash it everyday but going on Accutane makes your scalp so dry. You could probably keep with the H&S if the dandruff continues, but if it starts to irritate your scalp or you're getting itchier, try getting a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, with Argan Oil or Jojoba Oil. You can also get a moisturizing hair mask or hair oil to place in your scalp if it's really bad/itchy. :)

I don't use a duo because I feel like it never goes on properly. For me, there are so many dry patches on my skin so I'd have to moisturize 1-2 times before putting on my sunscreen because the moisturizer will create a smoother canvas for the sunscreen to go on. If I use the duo, it will go on patchy and bad. I use the Shiseido Ultra Sun Protection lotion which is water-based so it's moisturizing and the consistency is not thick. (It has a really bad white cast though so you need to apply it like 30 mins-2 hours before going out depending on how much time your skin takes to absorb it.)

That's why I'm so eager (in the most negative way) to get the IB just due to lower chances of a relapse. I might be experiencing it currently though, but I can't be too sure as I feel like it's not "bad" enough, but it's definitely a breakout. It sounds so tedious and long to even get it in the US cause of the iPledge system and all the pre-tests you have to do but I hope your Accutane course goes smoothly! Crossing fingers for the both of us! :D

MemberMember
(@jaimieb94)

Posted : 06/23/2015 7:27 am

Even the name of that shampoo sounds soothing, haha! I'll definitely have to check it out! I'm hoping that my scalp normalizes and I don't have dandruff during my treatment because I know that dandruff can be correlated to an overproduction of sebum. H&S doesn't even work that well for me but out of the pile of products that I've tried, it works the best unfortunately :(

I'll have to start looking into sunblock because I'm hoping that I take my first pill sometime in August. I commute by subway so I have to walk a lot in the sun daily so I do not want to chance a burn!!

I just can't wait to start my treatment because the sooner I start it, the sooner it'll be over! Can't wait to hear about your progress and I also can't wait to be posting updates of my own!

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/25/2015 11:58 am

Even the name of that shampoo sounds soothing, haha! I'll definitely have to check it out! I'm hoping that my scalp normalizes and I don't have dandruff during my treatment because I know that dandruff can be correlated to an overproduction of sebum. H&S doesn't even work that well for me but out of the pile of products that I've tried, it works the best unfortunately :(

I'll have to start looking into sunblock because I'm hoping that I take my first pill sometime in August. I commute by subway so I have to walk a lot in the sun daily so I do not want to chance a burn!!

I just can't wait to start my treatment because the sooner I start it, the sooner it'll be over! Can't wait to hear about your progress and I also can't wait to be posting updates of my own!

For sure! Let me know when you start your log and I will keep up with yours too! :)

Day 25:

Side Effects: The huge massive cyst on my chin is slowly coming up to a head I feel... Other than that, I am still perplexed by the state of my complexion as it looks really bad. I notice that I actually scar more easily now, so I'm trying very hard not to pick at anything!

Day 26:

Side Effects: WOOOOT the cyst came to a head! It popped midday so I put some Polysporin on it and it's a little red and swollen, but it should be fine. I'm mainly worried about the scarring it will leave, but for now, I'm just happy that things are coming up. Other than that, my skin has been fairly good to me. A lot of whiteheads are coming and going very quickly, and my blackheads on my nose are slowly rising, so yay! I don't notice as much dryness anymore compared to the first couple of weeks, but there is still definitely some peeling of the skin and dry patches. But I don't feel dry at all.

Day 27:

Side Effects: Tip of taking Accutane: Take it early in the morning or as early as you can. Yesterday I took it at 10am instead of 7pm (which I usually take it) and I notice that more whiteheads are coming up. For example, yesterday morning, on my philtrum (the little dip above your Cupid's bow and under your nose) was clear. When I took my Accutane at 10 yesterday, a small whitehead came in that area at 7pm. I know this might sound crazy and it doesn't matter when I take it because eventually everything comes up, but I'd rather have the whiteheads come up during my entire course of the day versus showing up all overnight. Might just be me sounding crazy but it works for me! Other than that note, still no changes. Still a massive breakout especially on the left side of my face, but I'm keeping my head up!

MemberMember
(@jaimieb94)

Posted : 06/25/2015 7:56 pm

You're so close to the one month mark!! Awesome that it sounds like your skin is pushing everything out, then you can enjoy those "miracle months" everyone talks about, haha!

I had an appointment with my dermatologist today! I had my first pregnancy test and I'm now in the iPledge system :] I just have to wait one month for my second pregnancy test and then I should be taking my first pill July 26th! I hope this month goes fast!!!

daredevil liked
MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/26/2015 9:29 pm

Day 28:

Side Effects: Still continuing this week with the horrible breakout and complexion. It really sucks walking around, self conscious and hurts not being able to look at anyone in the face :( It's been very hot here so the sun has been out and the humidity and heat is killing my skin! I'll be wearing sunscreen but my face flushes so quickly if I'm out in the sun for longer than 5 minutes. I was in the sun for approximately 20 minutes today and in super hot heat and I went home and my face was so sensitive to touch. It took around 3 hours for it to cool down and return to "normal". I suggest for Accutane users to stay indoors as much as possible, or at least during their periods where their faces are still breaking out. Other than that, I've notice a very strange side effect and that is excessive sweating. I've read around that some people are noticing that they sweat more during workouts or just in general, and it's applicable for me at the moment! I use to be very strange in the fact that I was naturally a cold person, even in the summer! Last summer I was wearing dark coloured cardigans and long sleeve shirts with jeans in 30 degree weather and I would barely break out in a sweat, but now, I can't even wear a t-shirt without getting drenched in sweat now :(

Does anybody notice sore muscles whilst using this drug? I have gotten sore joints during the earlier weeks, but I've never gotten sore muscles until now?

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 06/28/2015 3:04 pm

Day 29:

Side Effects: Last night, my muscle cramps and soreness were terrible. I couldn't sleep through the night and I kept waking up. Fortunately, my calves weren't sore when I woke up this morning. The breakout is slowly going away, but every time I see improvement, I'll get another cluster of pimples :( Been getting a lot of headaches lately. Might be due to the heat, but I'm currently residing in my basement so I'm not over heated or anything.

Day 30:

Side Effects: WOOOOTTTTT! A full month of being on Accutane! I have seen lots of improvements whilst being on this drug, mainly the one being dryness but in a really good way! I'm not reaching a point of dryness where I'm constantly itching or it's uncomfortable being dry, but dry as in I don't have to wash my hair as much anymore and my face is dry so makeup goes on better. Definitely notice an improvement in my acne, even if it's not substantial or that noticeable. My face is more manageable. I'll have 2 more weeks to go before I go back for a refill. Hopefully the next two weeks are a turning point because I don't know if I can handle another outbreak from increased dosage.

MemberMember
(@jaimieb94)

Posted : 06/29/2015 7:29 am

Hope your joint pain dissipates- I know a lot of people experience it for a bit but then it's gone after the initial months! Was your derm planning on upping you from 40 mg to 60 mg if you responded well to the drug?

Congrats on getting through your first month! The rest will be easier because you'll know what to expect!

MemberMember
(@daredevil)

Posted : 07/04/2015 2:02 am

Hope your joint pain dissipates- I know a lot of people experience it for a bit but then it's gone after the initial months! Was your derm planning on upping you from 40 mg to 60 mg if you responded well to the drug?

Congrats on getting through your first month! The rest will be easier because you'll know what to expect!

Yup! The joint pain comes in really strong and bad waves. Hopefully it will get easier; I've had to stop doing strenuous exercise because of it!

And I'm not too sure, but I feel like it's a common thing to do? I fear that with the dosage increase I will experience another breakout :(

Hehe thanks! I'm hoping after the 3 month mark, it will be an easy breeze :)

Day 31:

Side Effects: Complexion is way better than it ever has been (might be because I'm trying a new Salicylic Acid serum). Makeup goes on easier and there are barely any dry patches now. I feel with wearing makeup, layering is the way to go to decrease the appearance of all the harsh edges and the edges of the dry patches. I've been trying really hard to go makeup free, so I've been using BB cream with a little foundation on my dark marks.

Day 32:

Side Effects: Comp lexion still continues to be smooth so makeup glides on pretty easily. Only side effects I've noticed now are chapped lips. It's a little strange, I think I'm starting to get oily again? It might be the heat or humidity that's causing my face t produce more oil or something, but I'm slowly noticing that in certain areas, especially on my nose, it's extremely oily. But nothing a blotting sheet can't fix!

Day 33:

Side Effects: Having a little bit of a breakout now again :( Just when I thought my breakout was getting better, it continues! It might be from the makeup I've been wearing but I'm not sure. Any advice or inspiring and moving words to help me go makeup free? I interact with a lot of people at my job so I feel super self conscious if I'm not wearing something to hide all the dark marks and redness :(

Day 34:

Side Effects: Definitely having another breakout again. Not as severe as my other one from 1.5 weeks ago, but small cysts are appearing everywhere. Another thing to add, I'm 17 days late on my period. In my senior year, my period would appear rather randomly due to stress, but this year, it's been pretty consistent except this month. I'm not on any form of contraceptives but I'm not pregnant. I read the pamphlet that the chemist gave me with my Epuris, but the side effects don't include a delayed (or maybe even missed) period.

Day 35:

Side Effects: Breakout is definitely getting worse each day. I won't be working this weekend so I will try to stay in the house and keep my face makeup free and avoid any sunlight. I'm getting more itchy skin nowadays, which may be due to the heat (like heat rash), but my skin tears very easily and I'm getting rashes in strange places. Called my doctor's office to find out that he is on vacation and won't be back till the 20th :( But regardless, I'm doing a blood test Monday and probably will see another doctor either Monday or Tuesday.