Very Concise Accutane (Absorica) Log - 25/ Male/ Asian - W/ Pictures

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 05/28/2015 8:05 pm

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/28/2015 9:06 pm

Good luck!

Just wondering, though, why are you taking fish oil? Have you considered it's contributing to your acne/oil? It makes things worse for me and several others.

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 05/28/2015 9:14 pm

Good luck!

Just wondering, though, why are you taking fish oil? Have you considered it's contributing to your acne/oil? It makes things worse for me and several others.

Hey, Thanks! First reply!

I actually don't take fish oil on a normal basis. I only started from what I've read on the forums to help alleviate some of the side effects from Accutane. I definitely don't want to take it if it will worsen my acne. I'll do some more research.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/28/2015 9:29 pm

Good luck!

I actually don't take fish oil on a normal basis. I only started from what I've read on the forums to help alleviate some of the side effects from Accutane. I definitely don't want to take it if it will worsen my acne. I'll do some more research.

It may not make your acne worse, but if you're not yet experiencing side effects I don't see a reason to take it and risk it. I'm taking amnesteem right now and the only side effect I have is elevated triglycerides. I have no dry eyes, dry lips, poor skin healing, etc.

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 05/28/2015 9:32 pm

Good luck!

It may not make your acne worse, but if you're not yet experiencing side effects I don't see a reason to take it and risk it. I'm taking amnesteem right now and the only side effect I have is elevated triglycerides. I have no dry eyes, dry lips, poor skin healing, etc.

I was actually worried about elevated triglycerides / cholesterol. Any tips on ensuring that they stay low?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/28/2015 9:39 pm

Good luck!

I was actually worried about elevated triglycerides / cholesterol. Any tips on ensuring that they stay low?

I actually have no idea. On my first course my triglycerides were fine. This course they got really elevated from the beginning. My derm had to but me on Lopid to lower them. I eat very healthy and exercise so I don't know what else to do. Sorry I'm not much more help with that.

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 05/29/2015 9:07 pm

I figured I'd start updating as posts.

DAY 3

Activity: This morning, I saw that about 5 active cysts came to a head. Throughout the day, I could feel and see them slowly coming out to a full head. When I showered this evening (gently), 2 of the heads came off and I am left with 2 craters.

Side effects: No side effects as far as I can tell. I did feel more tired throughout the day but it's probably just that it's the end of the week. I noticed that my skin is a lot less oily. Still not dry, but less oily than before.

Misc: Although I'm taking Absorica, which claims that a high fatty meal is not necessary when taking the pills... I am sill including a full meal with at least 15~20g of fat, "just incase" it helps absorption even s

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 05/31/2015 8:34 pm

DAY 4-5

Activity: I currently have around 8~10 pustules/ smallish nodules on each side of my face. This isn't a bad thing though! I can definitely see that the pimples are coming to a head much more quickly. I feel that my skin is really pushing things out.

Side effects: I have some slight joint discomfort but it's really not bad at all. Lips are starting to get dry, but I have not been putting on anything on my lips as of yet.

Misc: I noticed that my skin is not oily anymore. It definitely isn't "normal" but it's not an oil producing factory anymore. I can notice my complexion looks a lot better because the oil seems to make everything more red/ uneven. Yay!

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/02/2015 8:06 pm

DAY 6-7

Activity: Things are looking better. About 4 pustules on each side disappeared overnight and scabbed. The remaining pustules are not too noticeable (not extremely red, inflamed, and angry). I have 2 cysts on my neck that popped out of nowhere and I'm assuming this is the beginning of an initial breakout. Skin is a lot less red overall- I am happy so far!

Side effects: Skin is looking and feeling more dry-ish but still not "normal". Lips are feeling slightly dry but is completely manageable with lip balm. Now for my biggest side effect... I feel extremely fatigued when I exercise. I live a strict fitness lifestyle (powerlifting and running) and I noticed a big decrease in strength and muscular/ cardiovascular endurance. I am definitely going to stop lifting and stick to jogging and climbing until the end of my treatment. My joints feel a little tight but it hasn't been affecting me.

Misc: One week finished! It still feels so great that I do not need to apply any prescription gels/ creams on my face. No more burning/ itching!

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 06/03/2015 11:49 am

Good luck!

And I agree that one of the best things about Accutane is not having to worry about prescriptions gels or creams x.x They can get messy and if you have a lotof acne, like I did/do, then it can just take SO long to apply it. It's pretty depressing as well applying it to every spot...which in my case, was my whole body ;-; blech!

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/03/2015 6:00 pm

Good luck!

And I agree that one of the best things about Accutane is not having to worry about prescriptions gels or creams x.x They can get messy and if you have a lotof acne, like I did/do, then it can just take SO long to apply it. It's pretty depressing as well applying it to every spot...which in my case, was my whole body ;-; blech!

Thanks! And yesss. Also... applying more on problem areas only to notice more irritation the next morning (in my case).

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/05/2015 6:57 pm

DAY 8-10

Activity: I had 2 new pustules show up on each side of my neck/ jaw. However, the breakouts I am having don't feel like breakouts. They don't hurt, and they go away SUPER fast. After 2 days, I woke up with a scab on those two areas. No new activity besides these two.

Side effects: Lips are getting more dry but nothing major at all. I apply Carmex in the morning and don't need to apply it again until before bed. Skin is not dry. I'm still surprised that my skin is slightly oily even though I am on an 80mg dosage. I am getting headaches but it's nothing that I can't deal with. Dry eyes is somewhat of a problem- I sometimes can't tell if I am just exhausted or experiencing dry eyes.

Misc: So far, not much of a big change since I started Accutane but I am feeling good!

MemberMember
(@tduddits)

Posted : 06/05/2015 11:38 pm

Hi David 1017. Thanks for the reply on my log! I know lots of people on many different doses but usually it's not once a day but twice a day. I will move up next month so I'm not too worried.:)

It's always nice to find someone who is going through this whole process around the same time as you. I will follow you on your journey. Feel free to message me if you want to ask or comment on anything.

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/08/2015 7:34 pm

DAY 11-13

Activity: Three new pustules came up. I think my initial breakout consists of pustules rather than cysts (knock on wood). I had profractional laser treatment in the past that caused a "tanned/ red look around my face" and it seems more pronounced. Could be the weather... but could it be the Accutane "flush"?

Side effects: Dry lips (manageable), stiff joints (manageable), and headaches.

Misc: Ugh... this week. I didn't feel so hot because I noticed how dark my face is compared to my neck/ body and that was getting in my head. To make matters 100000000000x worse... my best friend... my dog (12.5 years old) died today. What an utterly (excuse my language) shitty day.

MemberMember
(@tduddits)

Posted : 06/08/2015 9:25 pm

I'm so sorry about your dog. Our pets are our kids so I really sympathize with you. Just know that you gave him/her a great life and they wouldn't want you to mourn for them but to be happy and remember the good times you had with them.

May I ask about the pro fractional laser treatment you got? Was the discoloration bad pre-accutane? Is that a normal side effect? The reason I am asking is because after my accutane treatment I do have some minor acne scaring I do want to treat. I am researching now so when the time comes next year I know what I am getting myself into. Any information and experience you had with it would be really helpful!

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/09/2015 8:07 am

I'm so sorry about your dog. Our pets are our kids so I really sympathize with you. Just know that you gave him/her a great life and they wouldn't want you to mourn for them but to be happy and remember the good times you had with them.

May I ask about the pro fractional laser treatment you got? Was the discoloration bad pre-accutane? Is that a normal side effect? The reason I am asking is because after my accutane treatment I do have some minor acne scaring I do want to treat. I am researching now so when the time comes next year I know what I am getting myself into. Any information and experience you had with it would be really helpful!

Hey thanks for your kind words- means a lot.

As for profractional, I'm looking at old photos and I've always had a slight "mask" if you will, but I feel that the treatment made it more red. I think it's due to more blood circulation? I'm considering getting vbeam after my accutane treatment if that's what the derm. feels will work best. I've seen and read good results with profractional so I guess it's a case by case situation.

MemberMember
(@techchief)

Posted : 06/11/2015 6:28 pm

Hey David,

Sorry to hear about your dog :( I have a 4 year old beagle and he's always put a smile on my face and given me happy feelings. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose your 12.5 year companion all while being stressed out because of your skin. I wish you the best David and hope you feel better soon. Keep your chin up! Because everything will be okay.

I also want to thank you for your generous contribution to the forum and posting this concise Accutane log for users who are curious about the treatment and the process. I will certainly be keeping up to date with your log and am so glad that you are providing a log like this. I'm a 19 year old Asian male who is considering Accutane since the nurse at my dermatologist recommended it and I find that my skin is similar to yours. So using your log as reference for what to expect will incredibly benefit me.

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/12/2015 2:09 am

Hey David,

Sorry to hear about your dog :( I have a 4 year old beagle and he's always put a smile on my face and given me happy feelings. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose your 12.5 year companion all while being stressed out because of your skin. I wish you the best David and hope you feel better soon. Keep your chin up! Because everything will be okay.

I also want to thank you for your generous contribution to the forum and posting this concise Accutane log for users who are curious about the treatment and the process. I will certainly be keeping up to date with your log and am so glad that you are providing a log like this. I'm a 19 year old Asian male who is considering Accutane since the nurse at my dermatologist recommended it and I find that my skin is similar to yours. So using your log as reference for what to expect will incredibly benefit me.

Hey, Thanks a lot! Means a lot. It's getting better so I'm hopeful!

And you are very welcome (although it's NO problem at all for me to share my progress). Let me know how it goes and ask me any questions! If you're skin is similar to mine, I should be able to help in some ways.

DAY 14-17

Activity: My left side is completely clear but I have 1 cyst on my right cheek and 2 pustules on my lower jaw area. The pustules go away SO quickly that I already know that it will be gone by morning.

Side effects: Dry, dry lips, but it is not painful at all! The dry lips are completely manageable with some Carmex and lip balm. My muscles feel tense but a good stretch relieves this. I also have headaches that come and go, but it's nothing that cannot be managed. Skin is finally "normal" and not oily.

Misc: I can't believe it's already been passed 2 weeks. I can't stress enough how comfortable it is to just shower and not have to worry about putting on a topical cream. I have my 2nd appointment with my derm tomorrow and he will prescribe month 2 (he is very busy so tomorrow is the only day during the the month of June I can see him). I think I can handle this whole Accutane thing! (knock on wood).

techchief liked
MemberMember
(@techchief)

Posted : 06/12/2015 3:54 am

Hey David,

Hey, Thanks a lot! Means a lot. It's getting better so I'm hopeful!

And you are very welcome (although it's NO problem at all for me to share my progress). Let me know how it goes and ask me any questions! If you're skin is similar to mine, I should be able to help in some ways.

DAY 14-17

Activity: My left side is completely clear but I have 1 cyst on my right cheek and 2 pustules on my lower jaw area. The pustules go away SO quickly that I already know that it will be gone by morning.

Side effects: Dry, dry lips, but it is not painful at all! The dry lips are completely manageable with some Carmex and lip balm. My muscles feel tense but a good stretch relieves this. I also have headaches that come and go, but it's nothing that cannot be managed. Skin is finally "normal" and not oily.

Misc: I can't believe it's already been passed 2 weeks. I can't stress enough how comfortable it is to just shower and not have to worry about putting on a topical cream. I have my 2nd appointment with my derm tomorrow and he will prescribe month 2 (he is very busy so tomorrow is the only day during the the month of June I can see him). I think I can handle this whole Accutane thing! (knock on wood).

How's your skin holding up David? Is it dry or flaky at all? 2 weeks down man! That means progress :) haha

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/12/2015 8:24 pm

Hey, my skin is "normal" in that it feels tight coming out of the shower... but my natural oils eventually make it normal. I do have some flaky skin around my nose though!

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/16/2015 7:13 pm

DAY 18-21

Activity: one active pimple on my right cheek. I can describe it as a very shallow cyst. No pain from pressure.

Side effects: DRY lips! Carmex has been a lifesaver. I apply it every 2-3 hours and it seems to keep my dry lips at bay. Dry/ flaky skin around nose. Slightly dry skin overall. Joints are somewhat stiff but manageable. Headaches disappeared about a few days ago.

Misc: Although my skin is nowhere near perfect (hyperpigmentation, red marks, redness, overall complexion, etc...), it feels nice to be able to wash my face and not feel bumps. Side effects are completely manageable. I'm still crossing my fingers that I don't have a purging stage. I think (knock on wood) that I may not have one because I have been on Tazorac for over a year.

MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/22/2015 5:05 pm

DAY 22-27

Activity: Everything was felt the same until yesterday, I broke out a little (4 small/ medium whiteheads when I woke up) on my right cheek. One nodule is also starting to form on my left jaw area.

Side effects: Same: Dry lips, stiff joints, mild headaches, and some redness.

Misc: Almost a month! Got and picked up my 2nd month's prescription. It's funny how when you have acne, all you want is for your skin to feel smooth... but when your skin starts to feel smooth, the bad complexion, red marks, and other hyperpigmentation/ scarring brings you down. Fingers crossed that things heal up well! I don't mind an imperfect complexion... but I don't want my imperfect complexion to be so noticeable.

MemberMember
(@tduddits)

Posted : 06/24/2015 8:57 pm

Hi david1017!

Seems were are in the same boat still. I have been waking up with a few nodules that never become white heads. Since I don't pick them they seem to just sit on my face for like 2 weeks just chilling out like they have nothing better to do. :) I am hoping that when I go from 30mg to 60mg that they will heal up much faster and I won't have anymore cysts/nodules anymore and I can just focus on the drying effects.

Keep your head up with the hyperpigmentation/scarring. I am having issues with it too but we should focus on getting clear first and then deal with the aftermath later by going to a Dermatologic Surgeon for their suggestions. One step at a time. We can do this!

Laters..

david1017 liked
MemberMember
(@david1017)

Posted : 06/25/2015 9:43 am

Hi david1017!

Seems were are in the same boat still. I have been waking up with a few nodules that never become white heads. Since I don't pick them they seem to just sit on my face for like 2 weeks just chilling out like they have nothing better to do. :) I am hoping that when I go from 30mg to 60mg that they will heal up much faster and I won't have anymore cysts/nodules anymore and I can just focus on the drying effects.

Keep your head up with the hyperpigmentation/scarring. I am having issues with it too but we should focus on getting clear first and then deal with the aftermath later by going to a Dermatologic Surgeon for their suggestions. One step at a time. We can do this!

Laters..

Hey tduddits!

You literally made my morning / past few days. I have been kinda... Ok, I guess depressed because of the complexion of my skin and have been on a research craze about different types of lasers just to have a sense of comfort. We will get through it all!

As for the nodules, I feel ya. I think this is normal. For me, it lasts around ~5 ish days (but I am taking 80mg). I'm positive that new acne will turn over quickly once you increase your dosage. By the way, are you taking liver supplements? My number one concern was that accutane would have a negative effect on my liver so I've been supplementing with a liver supplement and also milk thistle.

MemberMember
(@techchief)

Posted : 07/02/2015 3:36 am

Hey David, it's been a while since you've updated. If you don't mind, could you possibly post a photo update of your skin? It would be great to see the changes and progress.I spoke with my dermatologist and he went over the entire Accutane treatment plan and such. It's all very overwhelming right now and I'm still thinking over the decision and commitment. Last question, have you drank any alcohol during your treatment?