Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Funk

Ortho Tri-cyclen

For those of you who have tried to take Ortho Tri-cyclen for acne purposes...

What were your experiences and did it work?

Is it worth getting on?

I’ve heard its just amazing how it can clear up your skin rumor or fact?

Hey Funk,

was on it for years. Didn't do a thing really. What skin type do you have? If you have oily skin, I would suggest Dianette (Diante-35, Yasmin). They have anti-androgens which help with oily skin and acne.

Good luck

I hadn't really suffered from severe acne until July of this year. Prior to that point, I would get the occasional hormonal pimple or two. When I was on Ortho Tri-cyclen, this rarely happened. I stayed on Ortho Tri-cyclen for three years + and it kept my skin clear.

I am on Ortho Tri-cyclen again after years of being off of it first of all because I am on Accutane and secondly, to help with the acne situation. I can't really tell if it is helping since my acne at this point in my life is (or was) severe cystic acne.

I am making the switch to Yasim in one week. I will let you guys know if I get better results from this new birth control than I did with Ortho. It contains 25 mg of Spiro so I am hoping for better results than I got with Ortho.

As far as an initial breakout goes, I didn't have anything like that at all with Ortho. It probably took about three months before the once a month hormonal pimple would go away.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

I'm on Ortho Tri-cyclen right now.

I have only been on it for a month however.

My skin hasn't really been getting better, but not really worse either.

I'm gonna give it a few months, and see what happens.

I was on Alesse prior to Ortho, and it totally messed up my skin.

I think its just hit and miss - some work well for people, while may worsen acne for others.

If this doesn't work (which I hope it will - *knock on wood*), I'm not sure what to do next.

I hear bad things about Diane-25 (high risk of blood clots).... I would really love to try Yasmin, but I live in Canada (not offered here).

Good luck with whatever pill you decide to go on!

Each pill affects different individuals differently, and they take about 3 months to start to see the actual effects (or so I've heard).

I was so amazed how much it improved on my face. Once I couldn't afford it all the acne came back. I suggest if you start using it. Use it all the time. You don't want to end up with severe breakouts.

I really hope Ortho doesn't cause severe cystic breakouts for me Guardedly...

That would really suck! I'm starting the placebos today (very scared!!).

My sis went on it a year ago - she's pretty much 100% clear. But her and I have different skin types. I have bigger pores and oily skin (I know - lucky me eusa_doh.gif).

Crossing my fingers right now.

You're on Accutane right now Guardedly? How's that coming along. I went on it about 2 years. It kept my skin fairly clear for almost 2 years. Acne is coming back now. Boooooooooo!

Anyways, good luck everybody!!!

ive been on orthotricyclen for about a year..i dont think its done too much, good or bad, for me. im on accutane atm, due to some moderate breakouts during august/sept. i dont believe the ortho was the cause (as i had been ont it for a year+ at that point as well), however, it also didnt prevent this from occuring. however, i second the statement that its different for everyone and is a matter of trial and error. good luck with whatever you choose! -lisa

It works differently for every girl it seems...

I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 5 years, and NOT for skin purposes even, for the b.c., and that brand in particular because it's the best for me when it comes to other side effects. Honestly I have never noticed a single difference in my skin because of the Pill. Not better, not worse. But I have good friends who cleared up entirely on the exact same brand, so... life isn't fair wink.gif

Mae

hey guys, i'm new to this forum and hoping to help and support others and find some tips myself.

i've always had acne and oily skin but the past few months, it's gotten real bad and i'm getting a lot more cysts than i usually have before.

i used to take diane-35 because topical prescriptions weren't working, and it had worked great. it took about a year for the results to really show. i cleared up, my face wasn't as oily anymore, and my skin tone seemed to even out and lighten.

but i didn't want to have to rely on medication for who knows how long, so i decided to try stopping it. that, plus i had heard about the blood clot risk and the cases in Europe. lo and behold, it crept back since stopping it for over a year now and i've been struggling since.

i just saw my dermatologist to find some kind of salvation for my recent flare-up and she put put me on tri-cyclen and benzaclin cream. i'm worried about starting the tri-cyclen because there seems to be mixed reactions. but she did tell me that all BCP have risks for blood clotting, and for diane-35, a new product like this always receives a lot of media attention and the studies they published on it usually don't mention what parameters they used in their research. basically, it's fair game and like any medication, depends on how the individual reacts.

has anyone else gone on diane-35? i'm reluctant to start tri-cyclen at my next cycle but i feel so hopeless...

Ortho Tri-Cyclen made me break out like crazy in high school. My derm switched me to Diane-35 and it was amazing....I was off it for a few months and started breaking out again, so I freaked and went back on it. Diane 35 plus the Accutane should clear me up soon. Good luck!

hey guys, i'm new to this forum and hoping to help and support others and find some tips myself.

i've always had acne and oily skin but the past few months, it's gotten real bad and i'm getting a lot more cysts than i usually have before.

i used to take diane-35 because topical prescriptions weren't working, and it had worked great. it took about a year for the results to really show. i cleared up, my face wasn't as oily anymore, and my skin tone seemed to even out and lighten.

but i didn't want to have to rely on medication for who knows how long, so i decided to try stopping it. that, plus i had heard about the blood clot risk and the cases in Europe. lo and behold, it crept back since stopping it for over a year now and i've been struggling since.

i just saw my dermatologist to find some kind of salvation for my recent flare-up and she put put me on tri-cyclen and benzaclin cream. i'm worried about starting the tri-cyclen because there seems to be mixed reactions. but she did tell me that all BCP have risks for blood clotting, and for diane-35, a new product like this always receives a lot of media attention and the studies they published on it usually don't mention what parameters they used in their research. basically, it's fair game and like any medication, depends on how the individual reacts.

has anyone else gone on diane-35? i'm reluctant to start tri-cyclen at my next cycle but i feel so hopeless...

I've heard alot of good things about the smooth beam laser for acne treatment. It supposedly changes the sebaceous glands with thermal heat. It supposedly has long lasting affects, but like everything else acne can come back and treatments will be necessary again. It's expensive. I made an appointment to go in on Friday for a consultation. I'm so sick of dealing with excessively oily skin and cyst acne. It would be so nice to put on makeup in the morning like normal girls and have it last all day. I swear my face produces more oil in 2 hours than 10 people with normal skin produce oil in a week. It's very de-feminizing. (if that's even a word).

Has anyone had smooth beam laser for acne? Does it get rid of the oil permanently or do the sebaceous glands come back to torment you later?

Orthotricylen made my daughter break out badly. She used it for 4 months with no improvement at all. I don't know if 6 months on it would have made a difference, but she didn't want to chance it.

Orthotricylen made my daughter break out badly. She used it for 4 months with no improvement at all. I don't know if 6 months on it would have made a difference, but she didn't want to chance it.

I think I read somewhere there's a difference between Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Tri-Cyclen. I was prescribed Tri-Cyclen, but everyone seems to keep referring to "Ortho Tri-Cyclen" here. I know Tri-Cyclen is manufactured by Janssen-Ortho according to the packaging, and I assume "Ortho Tri-Cyclen" is too, given the name. Kinda confused...

When did everyone else start seeing an effect on their skin with "Tri-Cyclen"?

i have been using ortho tri-cylen LO, for about a year now......and i think its really really helped a ton with my acne! i had moderate acne before, it was actually almost on the severe side on my chest and back.....but when i went on birth control.....it all seemed to just calm down, and then it started to slowly go away. i tried goin off of it 3 times because it did make me gain weight, and every time my breakouts returned, and they returned bad! and then as soon as i went back on it, every time, my acne cleared right back up within about a month, after my body was used to it again. i am goin on accutane, so i do have to be on it......but i think it helped out soooo much with my breakouts!

i was on ortho tri-cyclen LO though, so i dont know if thats what made the difference, but i would give it a shot.....see how things go, and i mean u can always go off of it if things dont work out. but i think u have to give it atleast 2-3 months, cuz thats how long it took in the begining for me to really see a big change.....but its up to u though.

good luck!!!

for those of you who noticed results from an oral contraceptive, how long did it take to see your skin start to clear? 3 months? more? less?

thanks!!

emu, when i took diane a few years back, i think it took me close to six months to start noticing a significant difference.

Please do a search on Orthotricycline as many of us have already posted on this. For me, it was the worst skin decision I ever made.