Notifications
Clear all

Being The Friend With Acne 🙁

MemberMember
(@jessica1993)

Posted : 05/21/2015 1:42 am

When I was about 15 years old I developed cystic acne, and ever since then ( despite two rounds of acutanne, contraceptives, antibiotics, benzoil peroxide, and acids of all kinds) I still suffer from it. I've tried very hard to keep a happy, positive outlook on life, but my acne and rolling scars have destroyed me emotionally in such a terrible way. My self-esteem is in the gutter and (though I love my friends) being the only one with bad skin in my group has made my college years almost sad. It hurts to see how people's eyes wonder to my skin as soon as they meet me, and hearing a guy say how if I had not had such bad skin I would not have been half ugly really tore me up inside. I've invested so much into my skin. I workout like crazy to make up for everything this has not fixed, but I feel as though there's nothing I can do. I feel like the ugly friend and, though at 22 I should be well past this mentality, I'm not, and it hurts like crazy.

MemberMember
(@stroking-out)

Posted : 05/21/2015 3:23 am

I know how you feel, acne's more mental than physical. You're only 22 though, when your acne finally does clear up I'm sure you'll make up for the lost years. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@notquiteavet)

Posted : 05/21/2015 3:01 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 20 and my acne has been getting steadily worse in the last one year. I find myself so hideously ugly that I avoid mirrors and places with bright lights. I'm tired of nothing helping.

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 05/21/2015 6:58 pm

Girl, I'm right there with you. I have also done the cocktail of Accutane/Face washes/BC/pills etc etc etc....and I still have cystic acne. I am literally the only one in my friend group with acne. I have to remind myself over and over and over again that 1) We see it worse than it actually is 2) We never know when a new acne miracle drug may hit the market. Even if it doesn't, we have so much more about us that is wonderful, useful, and beautiful.

MemberMember
(@jessica1993)

Posted : 05/21/2015 9:05 pm

Thank you guys

MemberMember
(@vinhchoet)

Posted : 05/24/2015 10:27 pm

I understand how you feel. I used to have clear skin until I enter 2nd year of college. Now, I have been suffering acne for 5 years and it doesn't go away yet. I feel very insecured and depress because my cheek is full of cystic acne and dark spots everywhere in my face.I used to a good looking girl, enjoy participating in out side activities, going out with my friends. And now I become like a vampire who scare standing under sun light, stay at home, mad with everyone. I know that this habit is bad and this can make my acne worse, so i decide to change myself in positive way. I hope you can do this to. Fighting w acne is a very long way, so you must change the way you treat yourself and keep calm. Miracle is nor far, right :D

MemberMember
(@jessica1993)

Posted : 05/25/2015 1:10 am

You're right , it's a long race we kind of just have to continue running whether we want to or not LOL! I hope everything goes well with you and encourage you to stay active. I run quite a bit, and if it wasn't for this vital stress reliever I think I would die ! I worry sweat might harm my skin =( , but I can't choose my skin over my health and sanity lol! We can do this !!

MemberMember
(@blessedgirl314)

Posted : 05/25/2015 6:31 pm

Hey! I feel you more than you know. I'm going into my junior year of college and acne in this environment is a mood killer to say the least. Everywhere I look people have flawless or near flawless skin. It's impossible not to feel down about yourself. Dating is difficult in college without acne so this just adds to the stress. I don't really have many positive things to tell you because I am in the same boat but try your hardest to move forward and enjoy being young. Hopefully this doesn't last forever :) Best of luck to the both of us.

MemberMember
(@sndr)

Posted : 05/25/2015 11:03 pm

Yeah, I feel the same way in my social circle. I'm the only one with acne scars on the cheeks.

I feel the obsession with my skin is ruining my relationship with my current girlfriend. So hey, whether

you're single or not, these feelings we have of ourselves, does negatively overwhelm your outlook on life.

I feel your pain.

MemberMember
(@vinhchoet)

Posted : 05/25/2015 11:17 pm

I don't understand why there are a lot of people suffering acne online but i barely see anyone in the real life??? Anyway, i don't care about my face for a day, and it makes me happier LoL

MemberMember
(@jessica1993)

Posted : 05/27/2015 10:36 pm

Hopefully at some point we'll all be free of this guys =) Honestly, I was venting when I wrote this . I never really expected to feel better, but knowing I'm not the only one going through the acne struggle makes me feel better. I wish and hope with all my heart that you will all heal inside and out ! Thank you all for taking the time to reply !

MemberMember
(@gisselles02)

Posted : 05/27/2015 11:26 pm

Same here. Acne runs in my family and unfortunately I got stuck with it when I turned 13. It didn't really bother me at first because I knew it was just a "part of growing up" and it would probably be gone before I knew it. It wasn't until two years later that a few pimples here and there turned into bad cystic acne and I was no longer in denial with the problem. I'm 16 now and I'm currently going through depression and anxiety that won't let me leave my house because of the scarring that it left behind. Seeing how I'm still so young, makes me sad to think how it has affected me and that I don't have the same opportunities as other girls have now to enjoy their life while their young. It's very overwhelming to go out with friends who have such perfect skin, feeling like some sort of outcast, I know. I know that my friends don't mind my skin but it still depresses me to see how things are so unfair and that I'm that one unattractive friend no one wants to be.

MemberMember
(@vinhchoet)

Posted : 05/28/2015 9:04 pm

To Jessica: The first time i read th­ topic and see your photo, i feel that you are such a young n beautiful girl. Believe that With or Without acne, you, me and all the girl here are still gorgeous. Don'r feel depressed because it can make you look bad. Be happy because we are still young :D

MemberMember
(@jessica1993)

Posted : 06/02/2015 11:52 pm

To: Vinhchoet -Thank you for everything you've posted on here ! Believe me when I say that you've given me encouragement with each reply ! Thank you very much =)))

To: giselles02 - I think that you have described my own feelings perfectly. I've found myself hiding in my room after work or school watching movies . The only time I ever really leave my house is when I go to the gym ( which stinks like no other because I have to take off my makeup , and let the whole world see the wreck my skin is ! ) I'm 22, you are 16 . I remember when I was 16, and I let go of so many opportunities because of my skin . I didn't join track or choir till my senior year in HS ( which I deeply regret) . I didn't allow myself the chance to do so much , so many things. I am , of course, still extremely self-conscious of my skin , but ( even if I hate doing things in public because of it) I try my hardest to push myself to go out . Please don't make the mistake I made. I know it's hard, I know it's super hard and that it sucks . There will be days when you'll go home and cry like no other after going out because someone pointed out your skin , or because a stupid guy says something that hurts you . Still though , go out and live your life.

To everyone: It makes me both happy and sad to see how we all share this pain . Happy because at least now I know I'm not alone in this. Like I said, I don't really know anyone my age with acne scars like mine. You guys have given me more support than the one counselor I made the mistake of visiting once ! Thank you everyone !