Notifications
Clear all

Get An Ultrasound If You Have Hormonal Issues!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/19/2015 3:53 pm

Hi ladies,

Most of you know my story by now, and I'm happy to say that my search for curing my acne naturally has led me to discover underlying health issues far more serious than my acne. This is good news because I was able to address those issues and save me the trouble of dealing with them in more severe forms in the future.

I want to urge you all, before you take your doctor's advice and go on birth control, to do an ovarian/ uterine ultrasound (preferably through vaginal insertion for more accuracy) to first of all check whether a) you have PCOS and/or ovarian cysts b) endometriosis and/or fibroids or another condition c) tumors or other types of cysts.

I'm saying this because, after 2 years of doctors trying to put me on birth control and other sh*t, I did an ultrasound to see how my ovarian cysts were doing, and the doctors found a dermoid cyst/ teratoma in one of my ovaries that had to be removed. One of the doctors said it could have been making my hormonal issues worse. There isn't a lot of medical research on how tumors (this one being non-benign) can affect hormones, but I found this research paper that is quite promising. A woman with PCOS and acne

"reported that her menstrual irregularities and acne had completely resolved despite not being treated for PCOS" 6 months after removing an ovarian teratoma.Multisystem Manifestations of Benign Ovarian Teratomas, http://www.jabfm.org/content/27/3/421.full

So, make sure you KNOW exactly what your hormonal issues are, and what the alternative options are, before you jump on the birth control bandwagon.

MemberMember
(@akmcarpenoctem)

Posted : 05/20/2015 1:21 am

Have to agree with this. Had very mild acne as a teen compared to a lot of my friends, until last Spring. Around that time I started having some pelvic pain and pain during intercourse (nothing super severe, but still painful). Complained about the pain to my GP, who was doing a physical on me, who then suggested I get a transvaginal ultrasound. On a lark, i agreed, even though my periods were textbook normal and random pain was really my only symptom of anything. And the acne. The acne that started sprouting up really bad last Spring. Deep, cystic acne, and tons of surface acne, all around my chin/jaw line (though also had some surface acne in other places such as cheeks, forehead, etc. usually one or two a month).

Fast forward, they found bilateral ovarian cysts on the ultrasound, which I then had surgery to remove. One cyst was the size of a golf ball, the other was about 0.5 cm. The cysts were actually "chocolate cysts" and I had endometriosis on my ovaries, fallopian tubes, behind my bladder, etc. Doctor cleaned it up but obviously this is now a condition I will have to deal with forever.

I am optimistic my acne will disappear now. Will update.

PLEASE, PLEASE GET AN ULTRASOUND/REGULAR PAPS! Even if your period is "normal". Even if your only symptom of a hormonal imbalance/other problems is acne. Especially if you are within childbearing years, regardless of whether or not you want kids.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/22/2015 2:25 pm

Hey! I'm glad you figured out what the issue was. Transvaginal ultrasounds are the most accurate - I got that too. My periods are normal and have been for 7 years now, so yes, having regular periods doesn't mean there's no issue. I used to get pelvic/ ovary pain during ovulation mostly, and sometimes during intercourse. Then the pain started becoming more regular, so I'm glad I removed the demoid cyst because now I don't get that kind of pain.

Are you feeling better now? Is the pain gone?

If you don't mind my asking, what type of surgery did you get?

Have to agree with this. Had very mild acne as a teen compared to a lot of my friends, until last Spring. Around that time I started having some pelvic pain and pain during intercourse (nothing super severe, but still painful). Complained about the pain to my GP, who was doing a physical on me, who then suggested I get a transvaginal ultrasound. On a lark, i agreed, even though my periods were textbook normal and random pain was really my only symptom of anything. And the acne. The acne that started sprouting up really bad last Spring. Deep, cystic acne, and tons of surface acne, all around my chin/jaw line (though also had some surface acne in other places such as cheeks, forehead, etc. usually one or two a month).

Fast forward, they found bilateral ovarian cysts on the ultrasound, which I then had surgery to remove. One cyst was the size of a golf ball, the other was about 0.5 cm. The cysts were actually "chocolate cysts" and I had endometriosis on my ovaries, fallopian tubes, behind my bladder, etc. Doctor cleaned it up but obviously this is now a condition I will have to deal with forever.

PLEASE, PLEASE GET AN ULTRASOUND/REGULAR PAPS! Even if your period is "normal". Even if your only symptom of a hormonal imbalance/other problems is acne. Especially if you are within childbearing years, regardless of whether or not you want kids.

MemberMember
(@maggie1989)

Posted : 05/23/2015 4:49 am

Hi All,

I feel so much better after reading this post. Have been suffering from acne for 5 years now. Ive been on different antibiotics for past 3 years and Im sick and tired of them. I was also sick and tired of my dermatologist who kept insisting on starting accutane and didnt even want to hear about checking my hormones levels. I went to see a different dermatologist end of March and she made a list of hormones I had to have checkedfinally. Got my results back and Ive got a high level of AMH hormone, which is related to PCOS. Im actually going to see a gynaecologist next week to have the ultrasound done.

My periods are so irregular and I get them every 40-60days! Ive got horribly oily skin and cystic acne on my cheeks and jaw line. Honestly I cant live like this anymore, its been too long. I know it sounds bad, but Im really hoping for the ultrasound to show some abnormalities. At least I could start treating the problem. Ive never been on any birth control/hormonal pills, but I wouldnt mind trying them out.

We will see how it goes next week. Fingers crossed.

Maggie

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/23/2015 6:06 am

Hi All,

I feel so much better after reading this post. Have been suffering from acne for 5 years now. Ive been on different antibiotics for past 3 years and Im sick and tired of them. I was also sick and tired of my dermatologist who kept insisting on starting accutane and didnt even want to hear about checking my hormones levels. I went to see a different dermatologist end of March and she made a list of hormones I had to have checkedfinally. Got my results back and Ive got a high level of AMH hormone, which is related to PCOS. Im actually going to see a gynaecologist next week to have the ultrasound done.

My periods are so irregular and I get them every 40-60days! Ive got horribly oily skin and cystic acne on my cheeks and jaw line. Honestly I cant live like this anymore, its been too long. I know it sounds bad, but Im really hoping for the ultrasound to show some abnormalities. At least I could start treating the problem. Ive never been on any birth control/hormonal pills, but I wouldnt mind trying them out.

Maggie

Keep in mind that blood tests are not accurate for hormonal levels, as hormones fluctuate every day. To get a more accurate measurement, you would need a urine or saliva test, which "regular" doctors don't provide usually.

MemberMember
(@maggie1989)

Posted : 05/23/2015 6:34 am

Hi All,

I feel so much better after reading this post. Have been suffering from acne for 5 years now. I™ve been on different antibiotics for past 3 years and I™m sick and tired of them. I was also sick and tired of my dermatologist who kept insisting on starting accutane and didn™t even want to hear about checking my hormones levels. I went to see a different dermatologist end of March and she made a list of hormones I had to have checked¦finally. Got my results back and I™ve got a high level of AMH hormone, which is related to PCOS. I™m actually going to see a gynaecologist next week to have the ultrasound done.

My periods are so irregular and I get them every 40-60days! I™ve got horribly oily skin and cystic acne on my cheeks and jaw line. Honestly I can™t live like this anymore, it™s been too long. I know it sounds bad, but I™m really hoping for the ultrasound to show some abnormalities. At least I could start treating the problem. I™ve never been on any birth control/hormonal pills, but I wouldn™t mind trying them out.

Maggie

Keep in mind that blood tests are not accurate for hormonal levels, as hormones fluctuate every day. To get a more accurate measurement, you would need a urine or saliva test, which "regular" doctors don't provide usually.

Hi,

¨¨I didn't know that :(. I really don't know what to do. I spent so much money to have these tests done. Honestly, I'm loosing my hope that I™ll be acne free one day. Well, I™ll see what the gynecologist suggests next week. I want to make sure that I™ve done everything I could before I decide to go on accutane.

Thanks for your advice

Maggie

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/24/2015 5:49 pm

Hi All,

I feel so much better after reading this post. Have been suffering from acne for 5 years now. I™ve been on different antibiotics for past 3 years and I™m sick and tired of them. I was also sick and tired of my dermatologist who kept insisting on starting accutane and didn™t even want to hear about checking my hormones levels. I went to see a different dermatologist end of March and she made a list of hormones I had to have checked¦finally. Got my results back and I™ve got a high level of AMH hormone, which is related to PCOS. I™m actually going to see a gynaecologist next week to have the ultrasound done.

My periods are so irregular and I get them every 40-60days! I™ve got horribly oily skin and cystic acne on my cheeks and jaw line. Honestly I can™t live like this anymore, it™s been too long. I know it sounds bad, but I™m really hoping for the ultrasound to show some abnormalities. At least I could start treating the problem. I™ve never been on any birth control/hormonal pills, but I wouldn™t mind trying them out.

Maggie

Hi,

¨¨I didn't know that :(. I really don't know what to do. I spent so much money to have these tests done. Honestly, I'm loosing my hope that I™ll be acne free one day. Well, I™ll see what the gynecologist suggests next week. I want to make sure that I™ve done everything I could before I decide to go on accutane.

Thanks for your advice

Maggie

Do your research on alternative treatments and don't just rely on what the doctor says. Most doctors are only trained in prescription drugs, not alternative methods. That's why they are called alternative, but really, they should be called lower risk methods.

MemberMember
(@akmcarpenoctem)

Posted : 05/28/2015 8:51 pm

Hey! I'm glad you figured out what the issue was. Transvaginal ultrasounds are the most accurate - I got that too. My periods are normal and have been for 7 years now, so yes, having regular periods doesn't mean there's no issue. I used to get pelvic/ ovary pain during ovulation mostly, and sometimes during intercourse. Then the pain started becoming more regular, so I'm glad I removed the demoid cyst because now I don't get that kind of pain.

I had a laproscopy; they basically made three bandaid-sized incisions. 2 weeks recovery time, which is loads better than the alternative surgery which is a full-abdominal incision that takes 4 weeks + to fully heal.

I am feeling better now and the pain seems to be gone. Yay! We'll see how the whole acne situation goes, but I'm hoping it will resolve. Then again, I will be very soon trying to conceive, so I'm sure that will throw everything out of whack regardless, lol.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/31/2015 8:56 am

I had a laproscopy; they basically made three bandaid-sized incisions. 2 weeks recovery time, which is loads better than the alternative surgery which is a full-abdominal incision that takes 4 weeks + to fully heal.

I am feeling better now and the pain seems to be gone. Yay! We'll see how the whole acne situation goes, but I'm hoping it will resolve. Then again, I will be very soon trying to conceive, so I'm sure that will throw everything out of whack regardless, lol.

Hey, glad you are feeling better! I had robotic laparoscopy, and I can vouch for it as the safest option for dermoid cyst removal because it prevents the dermoid from rupturing inside the body before it is removed. I was in pain for 1-2 weeks afterwards, and I avoided taking painkillers except for the first 2 days post-procedure. I took vitamin C regularly to aid with scar healing, and rested a lot.

My skin is about the same...people have been telling me it looks healthier, but I haven't noticed a dramatic change since it had improved a lot before anyway.

How are your scars healing? What are you using for them? I started using Nelson's Hypercal lotion as well as aloe vera...the doctor recommended Scarfix, but I only use the tester he gave me since it contains some not so healthy ingredients.

I also have to add that for about 1 week post-surgery, I was having side-effects from the anesthesia! I went under full anesthesia (had no choice!) and was given more than I needed, and as a result my surgery lasted an extra 1.5 hours because they were having difficulty waking me up. I woke up shivering and trembling. :/

sustakp liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/16/2015 4:27 pm

Further reading for anyone who is interested. Look up "teratoma" for some clinical studies (synonymous to "dermoid").

In this particular case, PCOS symptoms including acne went away 6 months after dermoid removal WITH NO MEDICAL TREATMENT! http://www.jabfm.org/content/27/3/421.full

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 06/22/2015 1:00 pm

Thanks for starting this thread WishClean. I have been diagnosed with a dermoid circumscribing my right ovary.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/24/2015 10:49 am

Thanks for starting this thread WishClean. I have been diagnosed with a dermoid circumscribing my right ovary.

Good luck sustakp! Keep us updated on how it goes.

More things to expect post-procedure: stomach bloating! This can last up to 2-4 weeks, and I read online some reviews that said it lasted longer. The doctors fill up your stomach with air to make the procedure easier, and the bloating (air/ gas) should go down slowly but steadily over the next few weeks post-operation.

Once your stitches are taken off by the doctor, find the best scar cream possible! I was using ScarFix (as prescribed), aloe, and hypercal (naturopathic), but after my recent check-up, the doctor prescribed an anti-keloid cream. Be prepared for slow healing, and possible keloids...I was not prepared for the possibility of keloids forming, but now I'm ok with whatever happens as long as I'm healthy and do my best to heal the scars.

Either way, robotic laparoscopy leaves you with the smallest scars/ holes & fewer chances of rupture, so for me that was the best choice.

Please share what you used for your scars here!

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 06/24/2015 3:33 pm

Hey WishClean

Please let me know the details about your laproscopic surgeon. Sent you a private message as well. My doctor says if I do not do the laprotomy there us achance they wont be able to save my ovary at all.

Would want to get a second opinion on that.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/28/2015 4:30 pm

hi Sustakp,

I PM'd you. But for anyone who is following this thread, dermoids should be removed! They have to be removed at some point anyway, otherwise they keep growing, so the sooner you do it the better.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/29/2015 4:17 pm

This is a pic of my belly 2 months post-surgery. Just to show you what to expect. My scars are more inflamed than normal according to the pharmacist who saw them today, and the doc gave me an anti-keloid cream.

post-161609-0-64577100-1435612598.jpg