Notifications
Clear all

Going Off Birth Control

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 05/09/2015 4:27 pm

So i started Yasmin (ocella) 3 months ago in hopes that my acne would clear up. I was on a generic for alesse and Spiro before that and experienced mostly mild acne. When my skin started breaking out again a few months ago I decided to switch to Yasmin and go off the Spiro. I'm finishing up the second week of month 3 and my acne is worse than before I started. I think I'm just going to give up on birth control and get an iud. I've started taking the Spiro again today and I'm going to start taking evening primrose oil. If I go off the birth control and continue taking the Spiro and ep oil will my acne get better or will I start breaking out worse? Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm at a loss right now I don't know what to do. I've been suffering with acne for almost 10 years. Any advice is greatly appreciated

MemberMember
(@pookiedoll)

Posted : 05/13/2015 4:34 am

I did something similar. I stopped taking bcp while on Spiro. I've been told by 4 diff Drs that I should not break out. Spiro blocks what bcp puts in us to stop acne. Of course there is no guarantee with anything but if it should happen may not be too bad. My naturopath suggested adding DIM - any experience with this?

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 05/14/2015 7:07 am

I did something similar. I stopped taking bcp while on Spiro. I've been told by 4 diff Drs that I should not break out. Spiro blocks what bcp puts in us to stop acne. Of course there is no guarantee with anything but if it should happen may not be too bad. My naturopath suggested adding DIM - any experience with this?

No experience with dim though perhaps I should try that. Did you break out at all? Was the birth control causing you acne?

MemberMember
(@pookiedoll)

Posted : 05/14/2015 8:02 am

Well I've only been off the bcp for 1 week so no breakouts. How long are you off? You can try DIM. I believe there is one by Natures Way that has good ratings. I am unsure if I want to take it though. Might want to see if spiro will control stuff first but don't know.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 05/30/2015 9:56 am

I've been off birth control for about one week now (last week was my placebo week but I didn't take those). I got the paragard in and have been really crampy since. My dermatologist told me to keep taking spironolactone and upped my dose of tretinoin from .01% to .05% and I've been using that every night as I would be with the .01%. My skin is completely awful right now and has been for the past 2 weeks. I don't know what to do. Is this an initial break out or an effect of going off the pill? I'm at my wits end I hope this doesn't last much longer.

MemberMember
(@junek33)

Posted : 05/30/2015 1:22 pm

I've been off birth control for a month and a few weeks now, and my skin (esp around my chin and mouth) has been breaking out steadily, in large zits and small little ones that you can see in certain light. We are trying to get pregnant, but I am so scared because acne and oily skin has been a battle all my life. For a while, it was somewhat under control, but I'm sure going off birth control has caused the changes. I take spironolactone too and use epiduo every other night. Graceface12, based on the research I've done, it may take a few months (3 months) for a woman's hormones to go back to normal. Now, I don't know if that means we'll still be having breakouts or not. It's really frustrating. It feels like the condition and texture of my skin has completely changed as well, more oily, splotchy, rough, just plain gross.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 05/30/2015 1:47 pm

I've been off birth control for a month and a few weeks now, and my skin (esp around my chin and mouth) has been breaking out steadily, in large zits and small little ones that you can see in certain light. We are trying to get pregnant, but I am so scared because acne and oily skin has been a battle all my life. For a while, it was somewhat under control, but I'm sure going off birth control has caused the changes. I take spironolactone too and use epiduo every other night. Graceface12, based on the research I've done, it may take a few months (3 months) for a woman's hormones to go back to normal. Now, I don't know if that means we'll still be having breakouts or not. It's really frustrating. It feels like the condition and texture of my skin has completely changed as well, more oily, splotchy, rough, just plain gross.

I totally feel you. Were you clear on birth control? Because mine was making me break out. No matter what I do I break out! How long have you been on spironolactone for and have you noticed a difference? I don't know if I can go 3 months breaking out like this I'm miserable!

MemberMember
(@junek33)

Posted : 06/01/2015 4:11 pm

Yes I have been on birth control for like 10 years! I noticed the breakouts after I stopped. I have been on spironolactone for a few years, and I did notice a difference. I run into other women who are on it as well. It seemed to help with breakouts and oiliness. It took a few months, maybe 3-4 or more. I was told that the spironolactone works well with the birth control to help with hormonal acne.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 06/01/2015 7:16 pm

Just wanted to drop a note and say hang in there. Hormonal treatments take at least 3 months to even make a dent. I had an initial breakout on both Ocella and Spiro. I became clear after 4 1/2 months of worse skin then when I started. But after that things got clear! I had to go off BCP for the rest of my life starting this February and stayed on Spiro. I upped it another 25mg to help makeup for the hormonal affects of the BCP. I could probably have upped it 50mg, but things are good. I am a bit oilier but it is not leading to any big breakouts or problems. I've made it about 3 1/2 months now, so I am feeling good about balancing myself. Please hang in there. Spiro is a god send. I know you can't take it while pregnant, so hope all works out for you. sending positive thoughts your way!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/02/2015 5:21 am

Birth control can cause estrogen dominance since you are putting synthetic estrogen into your body. HENCE the cancer warning, plus all the other warnings that are included in the leaflet that comes with your birth control. Do you think all the lawsuits (esp. vs. yasmin & diane) are for fun?

DIM would help detox the excess estrogen from your body, but you have to pick a brand carefully. I tried Olympian Labs DIM with great results. I started with half a capsule to test it (I opened the capsule and spilled out half the contents). Also, a low fat, low sugar diet helps. It's no magic fix, but a healthier option in the long run.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 06/05/2015 8:56 am

Where can I find dim? How long does it usually take to see a difference on it? Right now I'm on 50 mg of Spiro and im taking 2 1000 mg tablets of vitex. So far I'm breaking out as usual, no more but no less. I think the tretinoin was giving me a bad initial breakout last week as my skin has slightly calmed this week. I think it's been about 3 weeks on this regimen. I've removed the tretinoin completely after last week but I think I'll use it just once a week.

MemberMember
(@pookiedoll)

Posted : 06/05/2015 11:46 am

Try upping your Spiro. I dropped my BCP about a 1 month ago and 2 weeks later my skin got oily but no breakouts. I am also taking DIM so I would recommend that as well.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 06/14/2015 10:29 pm

So I've been breaking out pretty consistently the past week or so. My breakouts seem to be getting

More frequent now and I'm not sure how to stop them. I'm taking one 50 mg of spironolactone in the morning and 50 mg at night. I'm also taking the 2 1000mg of vitex in the morning. When will the spironalactone kick in? It's been about a month now

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/15/2015 10:52 am

Where can I find dim? How long does it usually take to see a difference on it? Right now I'm on 50 mg of Spiro and im taking 2 1000 mg tablets of vitex. So far I'm breaking out as usual, no more but no less. I think the tretinoin was giving me a bad initial breakout last week as my skin has slightly calmed this week. I think it's been about 3 weeks on this regimen. I've removed the tretinoin completely after last week but I think I'll use it just once a week.

DIM can be found in health stores, or can be ordered online. I use Olympian Labs DIM because it's not mixed with other ingredients.

DO NOT MIX VITEX WITH SPIRO. That's just insane.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 06/15/2015 10:22 pm

DIM can be found in health stores, or can be ordered online. I use Olympian Labs DIM because it's not mixed with other ingredients.

Why shouldn't I mix vitex with Spiro?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/16/2015 7:51 am

Because they might interact with each other. Anyway, you should either stick to spiro or vitex, don't mix and match on your own.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 06/16/2015 8:37 am

Because they might interact with each other. Anyway, you should either stick to spiro or vitex, don't mix and match on your own.

Ok thank you! I read that vitex didnt interact with anything but I'll try going off it and just doing Spiro. Is dim ok to do with Spiro?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/16/2015 3:57 pm

You should not mix herbs with medicines. Plain as that.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 06/17/2015 11:30 am

So I've been breaking out pretty consistently the past week or so. My breakouts seem to be getting

More frequent now and I'm not sure how to stop them. I'm taking one 50 mg of spironolactone in the morning and 50 mg at night. I'm also taking the 2 1000mg of vitex in the morning. When will the spironalactone kick in? It's been about a month now

Hi there graceface! You may already know, but Spiro is not necessarily a fast acting solution by any means. Many reviews will tell you it got worse before better, just as most hormonal acne treatments. You go on the pill, same thing. 3+ months. The medication is working to block a certain hormone and it takes time to see the affects. It took me 3 1/2-4 months of consistently worse skin before I saw clarity. I started 12/2013 and around mid April, end of May my hormones balanced out. I do have PCOS so this is a prescribed treatment for acne, and other side effects that come along with the syndrome. I would not time yourself against other people, make sure you have a really good and gentle skin cleansing routine. If you can start factoring in exfoliation- mandelic acids are fantastic- antibiotic, antimicrobial, anti inflammation properties and helps turnover those skin cells faster. That is the trouble with acne, it is internal and external and both of those processes take time to balance out. Just breathe. Now that you are on a course, hang in there and now these troubled days will pass and be behind you. xo

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 06/17/2015 12:33 pm

Hi there graceface! You may already know, but Spiro is not necessarily a fast acting solution by any means. Many reviews will tell you it got worse before better, just as most hormonal acne treatments. You go on the pill, same thing. 3+ months. The medication is working to block a certain hormone and it takes time to see the affects. It took me 3 1/2-4 months of consistently worse skin before I saw clarity. I started 12/2013 and around mid April, end of May my hormones balanced out. I do have PCOS so this is a prescribed treatment for acne, and other side effects that come along with the syndrome. I would not time yourself against other people, make sure you have a really good and gentle skin cleansing routine. If you can start factoring in exfoliation- mandelic acids are fantastic- antibiotic, antimicrobial, anti inflammation properties and helps turnover those skin cells faster. That is the trouble with acne, it is internal and external and both of those processes take time to balance out. Just breathe. Now that you are on a course, hang in there and now these troubled days will pass and be behind you. xo

This is great advice thank you! Ugh I don't want to wait another 2+ months for clear skin. Thank God for makeup! I've made my own exfoliator that works like magic for the mean time. It's made with coffee grinds, sea salt, turmeric, lavender oil, chamomile oil, extra virgin olive oil, and manuka honey. Hopefully I'll see some results with the Spiro and this regimen.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 06/21/2015 9:31 am

I went on my period this week and have been breaking out like crazy. It's mostly in my forehead area, which is weird for me as usually it's spread across my whole face. I read that sometimes when you clear up it starts with your back, then chest, then cheeks, then forehead so I'm wondering if that's what's happening, though it could just be wishful thinking. I really hope this break out heals soon, I'm putting pure aloe gel on them and calendula and it seems to be helping a little, though they're still very red. Hopefully my second month on Spiro will be better than the first.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 07/02/2015 8:16 am

So I went back down to 50 mg of Spiro about a week ago. My skin had been improving this week, less breakouts than usual though I'm not clear. My breakouts seem to be decreasing in size, this week I've mostly just been getting closed comedones and blackheads. Hopefully my skin will continue improving like this.

MemberMember
(@randomuser2655478)

Posted : 07/18/2015 11:44 am

I have been on spiro for 3 years but had to go on bcp 2 years ago because of menstraul irregularities. My skin was super clear on spiro and retin a micro but 4 months after starting bcp's I started breaking out. I am on 100 mg of spiro I had to d/c retin a (bc of cost) and I am on sprintec. My skin is terrible and I think it's all because of birth control. I am wanting to get off of it this month but am so scared. I'm hoping my skin goes back to how it was before without bcp. Has anyone's skin gotten better once going of the pill but still on spironolactone? Thanks so much.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 07/23/2015 9:10 am

I'm in the first week of my third month off bc now and on 50mg of Spiro. All last month my skin was mostly clear except for a few minor break outs up until my period last week where all hell broke loose. my acne turned cystic and I was getting a new pimple everyday. the cysts have cleared now but I'm still getting new pimples every day. I currently have 2 active ones and a ton of scabs. Should I up my dose to 100mg of Spiro? That's what I was on for the first month and I didn't really notice an improvement until I went down to 50mg for the second month.

MemberMember
(@graceface12)

Posted : 08/22/2015 7:54 am

I'm now on 100 mg of spironolactone (50 mg twice a day) for the past month. I've also had my period straight for the past month. this week would have been the first week off my period, but i started spotting again on thursday. My acne is absolutely awful. I'm breaking out on a regular basis right now in small papules and postules. I seem to be getting 1-2 cysts right around when I should be having my period. I feel like my skin is ok and healing at the beginning of the week but by the end of the week it's a mess. I'm using 10% bp lotion twice a day, moisturizing, and applying calamine and hydrocortisone to my scabs and pimples. Im going to try cutting out sugar and white flour and eating primarily fruits and vegetables for the next month before my dermatologist appointment and if that doesn't work im going to ask for accutane.