Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lydia

Blusher Question

I've never really worn a lot of blusher before, but I'm going to a big dressy occasion in a couple of weeks and just wondered which blushers are preferred around here. Should I be choosing by my skin tone or eyes or something?! eusa_eh.gif The only thing I have is some Bourgeois rouge stuff which is very red...

Guest Pookie

Here's how I was taught to find the right color...pinch your cheechs and then look in a mirror this will produce a natural flush..get a color close to that. I personally think pinks look best and most natural..I've never seen anyone blush in a shade of orange or brown or purple..but that's just me...

Guest june

nars blusher...orgasm or mac blusher...pink swoon. don't be scared off by the pinkness of both blushers....they look too pink, but both are very natural.

Well, it does depend on your skin tone what you will be able to get away with. Cool toned people (you have pink/rosy undertones to your skin) can't usually wear warmer blushes (those with red, brown, orange), and warm toned people (you have yellow/golden undertones) will find pinks and some fuscia tones to either not show up or look a little odd. But, if you're neutral toned, you're lucky and can wear both (you look equally nice in gold and silver jewelry, you can't classify yourself as either pink or golden undertoned). Best way to find out is to try out different types of colors. Then, depending on the outfit you're wearing and the eyeshadow and lip colors you wear, you can match your blush to those and have a very nice, put-together look.

I think for evening looks, especially if you're going to be in an area with low lighting, you can go for more dramatic blush. If you go for a deeper blush, in maybe a bright pink or a dark berry, go for either dark, standout lips, or dramatic eyes, not both. You don't want to have too many facial features competing for attention. smile.gif

well, if your skin tone's anything like mine... you're english, so i doubt it, i've had great luck with Chanel's Joues Contraste blush in fantasia. this stuff is great, in general. a little pricy, but i think worth it.

good luck, lyd. also, for a nice glow Dandelion by Benefit is really really great. looks good with practically every skin tone.

Thanks guys smile.gif

Pookie: I've heard of that actually, my Gran used to do it to my mum to make her look healthy biggrin.gif (She fed her and stuff...too...) Yeah, I'm planning on pretty much avoiding and purple blush for the evening.

june: Thanks for the tips, I think I'm gonna try a pinky one like you said, I tested a few today.

redhedgrl: I decided I'm going to go with made up eyes and cheeks and just good ol' vasaline on the lips, lip gloss and me don't really mix well biggrin.gif

turtle: Aw, that Dandelion blush comes in such a cute box, I'm tempted...

Or, you can go to a big discount retailer, buy every shade of Rimmel blush you like, and try them at home.

At $1.99 each you can't beat it...I love the quality & it doesn't screw up my skin.

When it comes to product - i think any blush no matter what the price or name will do the trick as long as you know how to apply it right.

When it comes to acne - make sure that when you apply it, no matter how you do it, your last brush stroke is DOWN. First of all, it minimizes the appearance of the powder because stroking downward lastly will comb your hairs, which naturally grow downward (and that will keep a natural look. if those hairs are frazzled with powder, you'll look gaudy).

When it comes to color - I really like that cheeck pinching idea. I've always been told that the darker skin you have - go for more of a peach tone. The lighter - the pinker. :-)

When it comes to product - i think any blush no matter what the price or name will do the trick as long as you know how to apply it right. 

Heh, my cheeckbones are pretty wild too - here are some tips:

If you're wearing blush with your daily make-up (no special occasion), than in order to make it look natural, start with the apple of your cheecks. Smile, and the apples of your cheeks will become more defined (like a ball above the corner of your mouth). Start by applying a small amount there by tapping the brush, then brushing back in kind of a half circle motion (the bottom half, like the smile in a smiley face). Then from there, you can release your smile and just brush back curving up toward the top of your ear. Blend, stroke down, you're done.

If it's for a more dramatic look - apply more to the curve of your cheeckbones than the apples, it slims the face and draws more attention to dramatically done eyes and lips. Makes your hair look fuller too. K that's all. smile.gif

Smile, and the apples of your cheeks will become more defined (like a ball above the corner of your mouth).  Start by applying a small amount there by tapping the brush, then brushing back in kind of a half circle motion (the bottom half, like the smile in a smiley face).  Then from there, you can release your smile and just brush back curving up toward the top of your ear.  Blend, stroke down, you're done.