Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all,

I recently went to a Dermatologist for the first time.

He told me that out of many studies conducted and blah blah blah Retin A is the proven to be the best cure for Acne.

So he prescribed me Retin A.

I started the medication and Im on my 2nd week.

I am getting Acne like never before!

Im getting crazy Acne that I never seemed to have before...I am getting big old pimples that are filled with pus...wtf?!

My skin is also very oily...which is strange cause the doctor told me that Retin A would really dry out my skin but that it was ok...well Im oily not dry???

Im trying to research this stuff and find out what other options I have...Should I carry on using the retin A is it worth it?

Can anyone give me some feedback on Retin A please!

I don't want to tell you what to do as I am biased.

Perform a search on this board on retin-a and decide for yourself.

Good luck!

I've been on Retin-A 0.01% for about 4 weeks now and i started breaking out last week and its starting to get under control i think, and the red marks do seem to be dissapearing a bit but its to early to tell if its going to help my acne or not. I also read some topics on these message boards about retin-a and haven't heard any good things about it from other peoples experiences but I'm just going to wait it out and go throught with it all and see if it works for me or not.

well, the retin a also made my skin really oily. i've stopped using it because i couldn't handle how greasy my skin was ALL of the time. i never got to the 4 week mark but it faded my redmarks to practically nothing.

there are quite a few people on this board that have had really good experiences with the retin a.

I seem to be one of the few that got great results. When mine started breaking out (about 5 big ones on the chin area and that was it) i wanted to quit but figured i'd do more damage if i switched to something else because of over-irritation. It's depressing going through the initial breakout because you're expecting it to clear up but that's all it is....an initial breakout and once it's over, it'll go down and you'll probobly start to clear up. Weeks 2-5 are as bad as it'll probobly get. That's what happened with me anyway. It's excellent for red marks. Only disadvantage is that it seems to make me scar easily so i'm getting off it and going onto The Regimen.

also, my face was SUPER oily when i first started. I think it was because my skin wasn't used to all the exfoliation. Now it's back to normal and even a bit dry.

I seem to be one of the few that got great results. When mine started breaking out (about 5 big ones on the chin area and that was it) i wanted to quit but figured i'd do more damage if i switched to something else because of over-irritation. It's depressing going through the initial breakout because you're expecting it to clear up but that's all it is....an initial breakout and once it's over, it'll go down and you'll probobly start to clear up. Weeks 2-5 are as bad as it'll probobly get. That's what happened with me anyway. It's excellent for red marks. Only disadvantage is that it seems to make me scar easily so i'm getting off it and going onto The Regimen.

also, my face was SUPER oily when i first started. I think it was because my skin wasn't used to all the exfoliation. Now it's back to normal and even a bit dry.

All medications seem to develop a immunity and fuck up the cure process. Nevermind better luck next time.

Heres the latest...

My skin is feeling a bit itchy.

I was feeling 2 new pimples and they were big ones not like I usually get.

Well this morning I woke up and both seemed to have gone away. My skin is looking A Lot better!

I think I just freaked out this last week and weekend...I had never experienced explosions like those before! But just like I was thinking it was the Retin A bringing all the crap to the surface. All those pimples are pretty much gone!

Also the oiliness is totally under control now too, basically none at all.

I’m started to see some flaky spots on my skin but nothing to drastic.

I thought it was supposed to totally dry out your skin hmmm...I mean Im dry but in little areas and its not that serious!

I slap on my Oil of Olay moisturizer with spf 15 in it and I’m good to go!

Im feeling pretty confident with this product. It is doing everything it is supposed to do and Im not going to give up till I hit my 6 week mark at least!

Heres the latest...

My skin is feeling a bit itchy.

I was feeling 2 new pimples and they were big ones not like I usually get.

Well this morning I woke up and both seemed to have gone away. My skin is looking A Lot better!

I think I just freaked out this last week and weekend...I had never experienced explosions like those before! But just like I was thinking it was the Retin A bringing all the crap to the surface. All those pimples are pretty much gone!

Also the oiliness is totally under control now too, basically none at all.

I’m started to see some flaky spots on my skin but nothing to drastic.

I thought it was supposed to totally dry out your skin hmmm...I mean Im dry but in little areas and its not that serious!

I slap on my Oil of Olay moisturizer with spf 15 in it and I’m good to go!

Im feeling pretty confident with this product. It is doing everything it is supposed to do and Im not going to give up till I hit my 6 week mark at least!

Hey Funk,

Are you using micro or the original cream? B/c the cream has comedogenic ingredients which not only make the face super oily, but exacerbate the breakouts.

I sincerely wish you luck with Retin-A, but I am another person with horrible results...and long-term skin damage from micro. I used it for over five months, and although the breakouts started getting under control, and less severe, they still occurred...and the worst part is that my skin thinned considerably. The reason that red spots tend to start disappearing, is that this stuff burns the top layer of skin off!! I couldn't even leave the house without sunscreen on, because the skin doesn't have any protection from the elements = faster aging. In addition, the healing process of my skin was permanently damaged. Whereas before I only used to scar in red spots that faded on their own in no time, after retin-a, I started noticing shallow pitting, and enlarged pores. Since then, I turned to a holistic approach which finally cleared me of breakouts, but I still deeply regret taking retin-a because my skin scars even with the smallest of whiteheads.

Sorry for being so negative, but if it doesn't work for you after a couple of months, then you should look for other options.

Hey guys,

Ok heres my update...

Im almost on my 5th week.

Im loving the results so far! All those horrible pimples are gone and Retin A is doing a fab job! My skin looks great and healthy.

Im not getting any more pimples!

The skins not oily anymore not like those first 3+ weeks, its great. Not even that itchy anymore.

Im thinking about switching my moisturizer to something else, it kinda feels greasy on my skin.

Everything is great except for...

I have one problem as of now...I have a few red spots on the side of my face from Retin A, it makes my face look rosey and red, before Retin A I had never seen red spots on my face like this. My husband has also noticed them.

The odd thing is I keep hearing that Retin A supposedly makes all red marks disappear but in my case they are on blast. Is it too early for Retin A to be making these spots disappear?

ukochana- Im using Retin A original not Micro.

Hey funk thanks for replying before. Also, are you using RAM and thats it besides a cleanser or however you wash. Im using the duac in the morning and it seems to annoy me where as my skin has adjusted to RAM and doesnt get annoyed anymore.

oh yeah ill be heading into week 4 now and i have all ready def had an initial breakout, so you think im done and things can heal now or will they keep coming?

jsut from your experiences i was wondering since you are 5 weeks in now.

and i still an wondering why the prescription pamphlet i got from the drugstore says full benefits in 3-6 weeks and the website is like wayyyy longer

Hey Surfer,

In addition to Retin A I am also using Erythromycin Topical in the mornings.

Its like my toner or cleanser. Then I apply my moisturizer on top. I use the purpose soap bar to wash my face with.

Thats pretty much it. I told my Derm that I didn’t want to take no pills or anything internally

Well I think your initial breakout is pretty much over. You may still get a pimple or two but you will definitely notice how fast they go! I got one yesterday, it was for sure not as mean as what I was experiencing! And like I said they go away really fast!

Thats strange about the pamphlet...mine says 6-12 weeks and I have also read 6-12 weeks when I research Retin A.

Ill keep you posted and you do the same wink.gif

Yeah thanks i pretty much think things should go well now if i keep up with the right instructions. i didnt believe the pamphlet i was just curious. now it jsut seems like the red marks will be a pain, but we will see. kinda sick of worrying about it now so we will see what the RAM can do. im not one to start going and putting tons of stuff on my face, because i only think that annoys it more. ive changed my eating habits too, eating more fruits and drinking tons of water and green tea i think it makes a huge diff.

thanks for the reply

Yeah thanks i pretty much think things should go well now if i keep up with the right instructions. i didnt believe the pamphlet i was just curious.  now it jsut seems like the red marks will be a pain, but we will see. kinda sick of worrying about it now so we will see what the RAM can do.  im not one to start going and putting tons of stuff on my face, because i only think that annoys it more. ive changed my eating habits too, eating more fruits and drinking tons of water and green tea i think it makes a huge diff.

thanks for the reply