Notifications
Clear all

Why I'm I Treated So Differently Because Of My Acne Scars?

MemberMember
(@red-faced)

Posted : 04/28/2015 4:29 pm

Hi there everyone, I'm a 37 year male and have been suffering from acne from about the age of 12. I've been on all types of medication and have spent a small fortune on treatments. I used to be bullied at school for my acne and never really enjoyed school,I used make up all sorts of excuses to not attend school and when the excusesses ran I just went my friends house who also hated school and got high on whatever we could get our hands.I never really had much of an education because of it. I started working full time from the age of 18 and had various jobs and from day one at work I'll catch people making funny face behind my back and smiling at each other. It didn't really bother me back then, I just thought to myself that I'll save up some money and find a treatment that woud cure me from this curse, what can't be fixed with money right? Wrong!! I saved up hard and managed to get a few grand together and thought I'll try laser treatment. It's was really harsh back then,it used to take straight off the first few layers of your skin( think Face-off the movi),it took me more than 8 months to recover from my first treatment, I was lucky to have such a supportive family and had 2 treatments. The scars actually looked worst afterwards. I Won't go through my treatment history,I've had many different types of treatments and nothing works. I don't want to give up but I am very close to it right now. I can't block out the hurtful comments I recieive on almost a daily basis anymore, I feel I'm about to flip on someone and do them some harm, even though I'm not that way inclined. I just want to feel normal. I find that people with acne scars get treated differently from most people, and that the General public are not aware of what we are going through, most people think that it's all down to myself that I look like this. I feel like I'm losing this fight, sorry for the long post.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 05/14/2015 8:30 am

Hello.

I totally understand what you are going through. Acne was a big battle for me for more than 10 years and I know how much of a hindrance it can be in a person's life. I just wanted to say to you people who bully you or stare or make fun of you are just because they don't understand. Acne and acne scarring, despite how it feels like you are alone, is normal and a lot of us have it. Please do not look down on yourself because as cliche as it sounds, it is what is on the inside that counts and the people who matter are those who see past your acne and scars.