Notifications
Clear all

Hair Loss (Eyelashes + Eyebrows) On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 04/24/2015 10:30 pm

Hey guys.

So I recently started the third month of my course on 80 mg/day. I recently visited my ophthalmologist and he said I have blepharitis. It's fine because it's very common on accutane users and supposedly very easy to treat. My only concern is that I just hope it doesn't worsen!

Has anyone had any issues with hair loss, particularly eyebrows and eyelashes? I have very thin hair and not an "abundance" of it. I have androgenic alopecia, and it runs in the family. My kind just makes my hair thin over the years and it grows less and less, therefore no bald spots or patches. So by the age of 30, I'm expecting to have a receding hair line :/ Not very cute on a girl.

I've noticed that my eyebrows aren't as full as they used to be. I do fill in my brows, but lately I've been noticing that I need to "fill" them in more because they're not growing! When I moisturize my face, I don't really put the cream on my brows, because I know that does clog hair follicles and impairs growth. But Im wondering if anyone has had a similar issue where they noticed loss of hair in eyebrows and eye lashes. I'm freaking out b/c I naturally have very thin hair and it will not get better b/c of my genetic condition. I'm really struggling to preserve every hair I've got while I still have it!

Thanks!

monisizet liked
MemberMember
(@monisizet)

Posted : 04/25/2015 7:29 am

Hey ,

i have only started taking accutane 4 weeks ago 2 x 20. I am 50 kg ; ) I am experiencing the same problem. I am loosing my eyelashes daily , 3-4 eyelashes a day. My appointment with my dermatologist is tomorrow. My eyes are really dry but I can still tolerate contact lenses without using any artificial tears .. however they are very sore /ichy/ maybe a little bit red but not swollen , especially in the morning when I wake up. My eye brows are still fine .. My hair is thinning as well .. but I ve had this problem since I changed my contra. pill from Microlite to Yaz. I blame Yaz for all my skin & hair issues. I am loosing about 100 hairs a day.. i went to shop the other day and invested in some anti-hair loss shampoo and Revitalash eyelash conditioner.

Really scared whats gonna happen next ..as my hair is already thin!

MemberMember
(@clarityplease)

Posted : 04/25/2015 7:56 am

I believe your dose is too high. Higher doses are positively associated with adverse effects and more intense side effects; hair loss being one of them.

The side effects of isotretinoin are similar to that of hypervitaminosis A - so when you're on a high dose of isotretinoin, your body reacts like it's been given a mega-dose of vitamin A.

I suggest looking into the research on dosing, and speak to your dermatologist about your concerns. Decreasing your dose may very well slow down (potentially stop entirely) the hair loss. You will find that more recent literature supports the use of lower doses (10-20 mg/ day) [Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/25/2015 8:48 am

Hi

I have thin find fragile hair

In the beginning i noticed lots of shedding (hair on my head) ut that has slowed down

As far as my eyebrows, crazy u mention it but yesterday I lost another chunck of brow (this is my second time during my course)

I only have 1 mnth left (maybe 2) and have actually reduced my dose from 60mg to 40-50 depending on my skin, eyes etc

80mg is a high dose i think, usually based on weight and how quickly your Dr wants u off the meds

Do u know how long your course will be?

Im 130 and think my max max dose was upper 70's

I just dont know how u guys do it!!!

GOOD LUCK

kim

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 04/25/2015 12:41 pm

I feel like it's on a higher end of dosage, too. My doctor said that she's dosing me according to the 1.5 mg/kg limit. When I started accutane, I was about 152 pounds. So I've lost about 12 pounds (not complaining!).

I may talk to her and see if I can alternate taking pills or lower my dosage. Because this is just getting out of hand. I'm going to try coconut+castor oil on my brows to see if that does anything.

Thanks for the input!

On 4/25/2015 at 6:56 PM, clarityplease said:

I believe your dose is too high. Higher doses are positively associated with adverse effects and more intense side effects; hair loss being one of them.

The side effects of isotretinoin are similar to that of hypervitaminosis A - so when you're on a high dose of isotretinoin, your body reacts like it's been given a mega-dose of vitamin A.

I suggest looking into the research on dosing, and speak to your dermatologist about your concerns. Decreasing your dose may very well slow down (potentially stop entirely) the hair loss. You will find that more recent literature supports the use of lower doses (10-20 mg/ day) [Edited link out]

On 4/25/2015 at 7:48 PM, kimber607 said:

Hi
I have thin find fragile hair
In the beginning i noticed lots of shedding (hair on my head) ut that has slowed down
As far as my eyebrows, crazy u mention it but yesterday I lost another chunck of brow (this is my second time during my course)
I only have 1 mnth left (maybe 2) and have actually reduced my dose from 60mg to 40-50 depending on my skin, eyes etc

80mg is a high dose i think, usually based on weight and how quickly your Dr wants u off the meds

Do u know how long your course will be?

Im 130 and think my max max dose was upper 70's
I just dont know how u guys do it!!!

GOOD LUCK
kim

Idk how I'm doing it either! I now feel the long agonizing journey of accutane. Definitely know how everybody feels when they say it's a daily battle. I don't now how long the course is, but the PA at my doctors office said they usually put patients on it for 6 months. I don't want to do that so I'm going to opt for 5 months, max. My skin has flattened out by the 7th week. That's relatively early so I'm praying to have a quick progress so I can end sooner!

On 4/25/2015 at 6:29 PM, monisizet said:

Hey ,

i have only started taking accutane 4 weeks ago 2 x 20. I am 50 kg ; ) I am experiencing the same problem. I am loosing my eyelashes daily , 3-4 eyelashes a day. My appointment with my dermatologist is tomorrow. My eyes are really dry but I can still tolerate contact lenses without using any artificial tears .. however they are very sore /ichy/ maybe a little bit red but not swollen , especially in the morning when I wake up. My eye brows are still fine .. My hair is thinning as well .. but I ve had this problem since I changed my contra. pill from Microlite to Yaz. I blame Yaz for all my skin & hair issues. I am loosing about 100 hairs a day.. i went to shop the other day and invested in some anti-hair loss shampoo and Revitalash eyelash conditioner.

Oh wow :/ Good luck with the shampoo and eyelash conditioner. I hope it works out better for you than me. Dry, irritated eyes is such an intolerable side effect (for me). It hinders with your activities (reading, studying, work, etc) and really makes things so unpleasant. I hope your eyes don't get too dry! I can't wear contact lenses for no longer than 2 hours, so I just wear glasses everyday. Oh and forget makeup. If I wear eye makeup, my eyes get swollen and produce discharge. I have to be extremely careful and adamant about cleaning my eyes if I do decide to wear makeup.

Sigh.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/25/2015 1:47 pm

well that is the ONLY good thing about staying on 80mg

U will probably be set after 5 mnths

so its a real toss up

I can tell you once i reduced my dose from 60, down to 50 than 40

I really didnt notice any lessening (is that a word..LOL) of side effects

My Dr said your symptoms dont always correlate to the amount of tane u are taking

I can tell u now being in mnth 6 I have a peeling chin for the FIRST time...my face was dry/tight but never peeled and my lips are by far the worst they have been

I can only assume it is due to the accumulation of tane in my poor body :(

Good luck!

kim

MemberMember
(@monisizet)

Posted : 04/25/2015 3:25 pm

did your ophthalmologist prescribe you any medication / drops for blepharitis? how often ur eyelashes falling out daily ?I swear to God I think I have it too but not severe yet..I am gonna try to book an appointment tmr with my eye doctor tmr ;/ I am only on my first month of accutane taking 40 mg .. I do not have a single spot on my face now ..but I am sure if I quit it now the acne will come back. I really don't know whats better .. face full of acne and oil .. or dry eyes and no eyelashes.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/25/2015 3:41 pm

Ive been to the eye Dr also

Im using OTC drops every 2 hrs and a thick RX ointment I put in before bed

kim

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 04/25/2015 4:38 pm

did your ophthalmologist prescribe you any medication / drops for blepharitis? how often ur eyelashes falling out daily ?I swear to God I think I have it too but not severe yet..I am gonna try to book an appointment tmr with my eye doctor tmr ;/ I am only on my first month of accutane taking 40 mg .. I do not have a single spot on my face now ..but I am sure if I quit it now the acne will come back. I really don't know whats better .. face full of acne and oil .. or dry eyes and no eyelashes.

Well during month 2, I had a series of visits to the eye doctor. I first went to my optometrist and she had keratitis. She gave me an antibiotic for my eye and some gel drops to use at night. That worked wonderfully. Then two weeks later, I tried to wear makeup, and got the same reaction again (the reaction that led me to visit my optometrist).

I then visited my ophthalmologist and he dilated my eyes and what not. On my first visit, he gave me Lotemax so see if I had a infection or allergy b/c I had tiny bumps on my waterline. The drops he prescribed worked well and my eyes were fine. But after 3 weeks, another bump came back again. They weren't painful or anything, but something I noticed.

After another visit, he said my eyes looked fine and he just said I had blepharitis. He told me to gently scrub my eyelashes (while eyes were closed) with baby shampoo. He didn't prescribe me any meds for it. He seemed relieved and quite optimistic when he was looking at my dilated eyes b/c he said blepharitis isn't serious. Just stay on top of cleaning your eyes.

Def visit your eye doctor just to stay on top of things. It's good to monitor your vision and eye health. A visit to the eye doctor won't hurt you, especially since your eye doctor can give you advice on what to do now to prepare for the remainder of your accutane course. The next time you see your derm, make sure you speak to them about your hair loss. I'm going to do that as well. They may alter your dosage.

Good luck!

Ive been to the eye Dr also

Im using OTC drops every 2 hrs and a thick RX ointment I put in before bed

kim

Which ointment do you use?

I use preservative-free drops by Systane. And the preservative-free gel eye drops by Thera Tears at night.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/28/2015 11:40 am

During the day I also use OTC pres free drops

at night its an rx ointment

tobradex

Kim

MemberMember
(@monisizet)

Posted : 04/30/2015 8:26 am

Molar Bear

how are your eyelashes and hair doing? ;) i went to my ophthalmologist the other day he said I have some allergy ..he gave me 2 different eyedrops and ointment to put it before bed. Also asked about the hair loss.. he just said its very common side effect of Accutane .. didn't really help much.

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 05/01/2015 10:51 pm

Monisizet

My hair is okay..the same, and a few of my lashes have fallen out. I've been putting castor oil on my brows...So I'm hoping to see some results in a few weeks.

I'm going to make a visit my ophthalmologist again next week. Been having swollen eyelids and it's scary. I sometimes don't even want to be on accutane anymore because of these side effects :/

Thanks for asking :)

MemberMember
(@monisizet)

Posted : 05/05/2015 8:13 am

Hello MoralBear again ,

a few days later I am still struggling with my eyes ..they not red, not inflamed i don't see any crust coming out of my eyelashes .. but they are itchy as hell and my eyelashes still coming out LIKE CRAZY ..Ive stopped with revitalash ..I have visited another ophthalmologist. she said have conjunctivitis , blepharitis and meibomian gland dysfunction, was told to use baby shampoo and warm compress twice a day. I also went to my dermatologist this morning ... and we decided to give it a break as my skin looks so clear from the day one and I'm only in my 3 week ( my acne was gone after first week didn't get any zit since then ) I can also always come back to the treatment. Il let you know how it goes after I stop the medication .. I hope everything goes back to normal. g' luck to you my dear as well.. let me know how you doing I am very interested and wish you all the best with the treatment I'm sure it will be worth it in the end ! :)

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 05/08/2015 4:05 pm

Hey Monisizet,

Oh wow, I hope everything settles down during your accutane break! It's good that you caught all these symptoms early on, just to monitor how your body is reading to accutane. And that's right, you can always go back to accutane in the future. Thanks for letting me know! :)

I went to my ophthalmologist and dermatologist. I was have swollen eyelids for almost 2 weeks now. They both said I have nothing to worry about and I should continue treatment. My dermatologist said that she's seen patients with worse blepharitis (and even much more inflammation than mine), and their eyes healed well after accutane. My eye doctor gave me allergy drops and he said these should be good. However, if they don't heal after 3 weeks, then maybe I should lower my dosage or give accutane a break. My dermatologist really didn't want me to lower my dosage or take a break. She said it was normal and that I will heal after my course. I even spoke to other ppl who took accutane when they were young; they advised me not to stop it. Since I'm still early in my treatment (10th week), they said it can screw up your treatment.

95% of the people I discussed my symptoms with said to just continue the accutane. So I'm just ganna do that. Allergies this year have definitely exacerbated the blepharitis even more, which is prob why my eyes are puffy. The good thing is that my eyes significantly are less puffy in a hot shower, so this can mean it's more so related to accutane causing the puffiness, and not an allergy.

Thanks for the update...I'll keep you updated with me. Good luck and feel better!! :)

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 05/10/2015 9:33 am

Your dose is high. So suffering worse side effects is common.

I took Accutane for 6 months and experienced during all those months hair loss and thinning body wide. After 4 months my overall hair status came back to normal. Through the course i did nothing to help my hair, because from what I've read almost nothing will help your hair while you are on Accutane. If i were you, just keep taking the tane !

Good luck !

MemberMember
(@leyla-zeba)

Posted : 01/01/2017 7:45 am

Hey I have just completed a course of accutane at 40mg and once I stopped I started to experience eyelash loss . Two months on and it hasn't stopped .I was given some lubricating eye ointment and it hasn't stopped . Did you eyelashes and eyebrows stop falling out?

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 01/02/2017 9:35 pm

if it continues, I would suggest getting some lab work to check and see if you have some hormones that were effected, thyroid and possible vitamin deficiency. Is it just your eyelashes or eyebrows and hair?

MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 01/03/2017 11:01 am

Hey, I luckily didn't experience any eyelash/eyebrow issues, but I've experienced HEAVY, awful hair loss since accutane. I'm now nearly 5 months off the drug (I took 40mg for 8 months) and I've lost 40-50% of my hair, with no sign of it stopping. Here's my log.

MemberMember
(@leyla-zeba)

Posted : 01/04/2017 2:21 pm

On 25/04/2015 at 1:29 PM, monisizet said:

Hey ,

Did your eyelash loss stop ? If so did they grow back ? I've just finished my course of accutane and my eyelashes are falling at an alarming rate x

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 07/28/2017 3:28 am

I just finished Accutane 2 weeks back and my eyebrows are falling crazy and also the beard under my lower lip and my chin. any updates tho?

MemberMember
(@moretwine)

Posted : 08/09/2017 7:59 am

Hi guys,

I've experienced the same issues with eyebrows but for me it hasn't been major - they seem to grow back ok. I haven't noticed with eyelashes unless I'm rubbing my eye and then they might fall out easily. Please have a look at my survey if you have some time,

[Edited link out]

Thanks,

MT