Notifications
Clear all

Switching My Paula's Choice Bha?

MemberMember
(@lizzy18)

Posted : 04/19/2015 12:38 pm

I first started out using PC's Clear Regular Strength Toner with 2% SA. It went alright but I felt like it started to irritate my skin. It wasn't drying it out, but I was breaking out a little more than normal and my skin would sometimes felt like it burned. Almost like an under the skin sunburn? So I switched to the gel as I thought it may be gentler but just as effective. It has also helped maintain my pores looking cleanser and helped with inflammation of pimples, but I am getting way too dried out from it. I only apply my BHA at night as well. I am going to go down to the 1% but I can't decide between the gel or the lotion. I have combo skin that can be a little dry and oily, also prone to dehydration, which is actually what I think this gel is doing to me. I am leaning towards to lotion because I suffer from some dryness so I feel like moisturizing is necessary since you can get acne from not having enough moisture. And since I'd only apply it at night it shouldn't break me out... hopefully? People say it dries really fast and it's lightweight. I've been using more moisturizer than normal as well because of my experience with the BHA's and I haven't had too many issues.

I'm just not sure. I guess I could try to the lotion and then if that's too greasy then maybe try the gel. I just think samples are worthless for me since they won't last me long and I need at least 1-2 weeks to see the effects. Who knows maybe the cause of increase in acne is because of these darn BHA's, however they have seriously made my pores look cleaner and my blackheads have diminished!

I just want to see if anyone had any experience with PC and her BHA's. They do work for me but I wonder if the 1% would be a better option for my sensitive skin. Surprisingly the customer service lady wasn't too helpful for my indecisive brain. lol

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 05/07/2015 9:42 pm

The great thing about PC is that you get sample sizes and try em out. I prefer the liquid over the gel and lotions. Swipe your face with a cotton ball then add your moisturizer and good to go. But I wasn't very diligent in my PC BHA. I'm on Epiduo cream right now. Just started. I'm a little nervous.

MemberMember
(@lizzy18)

Posted : 05/14/2015 10:54 am

Yeah the liquid version was nice but I have learned that my skin doesn't seem to like the 2%. I know I have super sensitive skin but I guess I didn't want to admit it. :( I just wanted to go in full force. I went down to the 1% lotion and so far it's been alright. I'm noticing a lot of clogs on my chin though... I didn't want the 1% gel because I was afraid it would be too sticky/shiny. I'm noticing I have fewer breakouts along my jawline though which is great. The 1% has not cured my acne but I know I can't cure it like that because I'm 90% sure it's due to my ongoing chronic stress and hormones (menstrual cycle). But it's alright, I'm starting to find peace with my appearance.

Sorry for my little rant lol. I hope you are having great luck with your Epiduo cream! My brother has an acne prescription for an antibiotic I'm thinking about stealing it...... haha

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 05/15/2015 2:48 pm

Good for you! I'm glad things are working out for you. I didn't like the gel/lotion either. It did make me look shiny. Liquid still gives a bit of shine but it's not that noticeable compared to the others. :) Keep us updated!

MemberMember
(@lizzy18)

Posted : 06/10/2015 4:04 pm

How is everything going with you? I've been using the lotion and it's been getting better. I switched my cleanser and I started to break out so I quickly switched back, big mistake lol. But it's not too bad. Still trying to get rid of some hyperpigmentation.

I just got back from the dentist actually. I really hate the dentist... I think I had a rant the last time I went. She got toothpaste, water, spit, you name it! all over my face. -_____- Like really? I've worked so hard to keep my skin like 95% clear now!! I swear if I break out anymore from this... I'm switching dentists though because I can't take it anymore how they rush through cleaning me. Also, I have OCD and anxiety so I don't like it anyways.

How is your epiduo cream going? I want to go to the derm and get something but I don't want retinoids. Also I have super sensitive skin.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/12/2015 4:32 pm

I used PC BHA 2 % gel last summer.At first it was going quite well,my skin started to get clear,but then I got a breakout which sadly wasnt the purging state,but It was a sign of intolerance from my skin.I mean,my skin doesnt tolerate acids,whether its aha or bha,so it isnt really the product fault,but my skin's.Whenever I introduce some hydroxyacids cosmetics to my skin,I get never ending breakout.But overall I think PC products are good.

MemberMember
(@lizzy18)

Posted : 06/14/2015 11:31 am

Yeah same thing happened to me! I haven't tried any aha because I don't think it will help with the acne. I'm sure it will make my skin smooth, but I need help with the actual pimples too/redness. I went down to the 1% bha and it's okay. I feel like it's best for helping to fade my red marks. Because I still get big pimples on my chin, which is mainly hormonal due to the time of the month. Thanks for your help!

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 06/19/2015 8:15 pm

How is everything going with you? I've been using the lotion and it's been getting better. I switched my cleanser and I started to break out so I quickly switched back, big mistake lol. But it's not too bad. Still trying to get rid of some hyperpigmentation.

I just got back from the dentist actually. I really hate the dentist... I think I had a rant the last time I went. She got toothpaste, water, spit, you name it! all over my face. -_____- Like really? I've worked so hard to keep my skin like 95% clear now!! I swear if I break out anymore from this... I'm switching dentists though because I can't take it anymore how they rush through cleaning me. Also, I have OCD and anxiety so I don't like it anyways.

How is your epiduo cream going? I want to go to the derm and get something but I don't want retinoids. Also I have super sensitive skin.

Sorry, this is late. I haven't been on this site for a while.

Skin's getting much better now! Thanks! :D I stopped the Epiduo after the first application because it gave me a horrible reaction. I became tomato-red for about 2 1/2 weeks and all the little bumps I had rose and were inflamed. It was a terrible experience and my skin was flaking horrendously. I couldn't even go to work one day it was so bad! I have very sensitive skin too. :\ I can relate.

What I'm doing right now which is helping me a lot is I am alternating between cleansers. I am using Cerave's hydrating cleanser with my Clarisonic and will sometimes use Dove's sensitive skin unscented bar soap (I really think this is helping my skin right now!). I tone with PC's toner (for oily skin) and will apply the 2% BHA liquid to my face once a night then moisturize with Cerave PM. I still have a lot of bumps but I think upping my vitamin intake has played part in helping with oiliness. I hope that once I get some of my oiliness toned down my breakouts won't be nearly as bad and I'll probably heal faster. *crosses fingers* Wish me luck!

How are things progressing with your routine? :)

MemberMember
(@lizzy18)

Posted : 06/21/2015 5:38 pm

Sorry, this is late. I haven't been on this site for a while.

Skin's getting much better now! Thanks! :D I stopped the Epiduo after the first application because it gave me a horrible reaction. I became tomato-red for about 2 1/2 weeks and all the little bumps I had rose and were inflamed. It was a terrible experience and my skin was flaking horrendously. I couldn't even go to work one day it was so bad! I have very sensitive skin too. :\ I can relate.

What I'm doing right now which is helping me a lot is I am alternating between cleansers. I am using Cerave's hydrating cleanser with my Clarisonic and will sometimes use Dove's sensitive skin unscented bar soap (I really think this is helping my skin right now!). I tone with PC's toner (for oily skin) and will apply the 2% BHA liquid to my face once a night then moisturize with Cerave PM. I still have a lot of bumps but I think upping my vitamin intake has played part in helping with oiliness. I hope that once I get some of my oiliness toned down my breakouts won't be nearly as bad and I'll probably heal faster. *crosses fingers* Wish me luck!

How are things progressing with your routine? :)

It's okay. I don't really get on here much anymore either. I'm trying not to obsess over my appearance much so I'm trying to limit my time on here.

Oh I'm so sorry! :( That sounds horrible but I'm really glad you're doing much better! That's all that matters!

I've heard some good things about Cerave's Hydrating Cleanser... my skin is kind of combination. I have some oiliness and dryness just simultaneously, maybe some dehyratedness? But I am prone to clogs... I have a few right now on my chin that I don't know where they came from..

My routine is going okay though. I use Aveeno's Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser. I've been using it for about 2 years now and it's the only thing that doesn't make my skin feel tight. I used to use a PC toner but I felt it wasn't doing much for me so I got this one from a brand called Boots, it's from Target and it's just basic and gentle. I use PC's 1% lotion and it helps a little bit. I feel like it helps the most with redness/fading marks. I also use one of Simple's moisturizer day and night. I'm looking for ways to help my oiliness too. I have been taking Vitamin D for a couple months now but it doesn't seem to help that much. Using face masks tend to dry out my skin too much so I don't like using them.

Do you use any sunscreen? I have been wanting to start using one regularly but I'm afraid it will make me break out.