Notifications
Clear all

Shaving Advice

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 04/19/2015 4:01 am

I'm quest to cut down the causes of acne on my face I'm looking to get a stubble trimmer.

Specifically this one:

BaByliss for Men Super Stubble [Edited link out]

Now the problem I have is that I currently shave using a Sensor Excel and using shaving gel. I shave every day as I do get facial hair growth but its not even and looks patchy and if I leave I feel I look a mess, especially with spots of my face as well.

My question is would the above trimmer work well for someone who has patchy facial hair growth each day? Would this cause less irritation than shaving?

Also when should I use the trimmer, before or after I have a shower?

MemberMember
(@vwormhat)

Posted : 08/10/2015 5:26 pm

I don't have much experience with electric razors but i read on the site that your supposed to use a 2 bladed razor after you shower and to use the cleanser as shaving cream, i just got my products from acne.org about a week ago and last night i used his shaving method and it seems to have worked pretty well. The site said that a 2 bladed razor can be less irritating than an electric and its better to shave every day or every other day to avoid irritation, i guess letting it grow out then shaving it is more irritating to the skin. I don't know if i was of any help because i don't go for stubble i just want the hair off my face...

MemberMember
(@raistline)

Posted : 10/29/2015 7:13 am

I would suggest to not use an electric razor. When I used to use an electric my skin was always much worse than when I shaved with a regular razor.

SBrandy liked
MemberMember
(@pintador)

Posted : 12/16/2015 3:38 pm

Do not use an electric razor. I always shave in the shower. I would also recommend shaving foam, shaving foam found at the local farmacy, instead of shaving gel.

If you're getting a manual razor I would recommend you going with the Mach 3 blades.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 01/06/2016 11:11 pm

This is probably paradoxical and/or contradictive, but I've always used an electric razor to trim down as much hair as I could. Afterwards I would simply get my skin wet with cold water and perform a dry shave in a way. Using only cold water as the lubrication for the blade to slide across my skin.

If it helps I use a safety razor. The good ol' fashion single blade design. Looks like it's something from the 1800's but it works wonders!

MemberMember
(@johnno1975)

Posted : 03/11/2016 12:12 am

I was told by my dermatologist to shave with the grain.. triple head razor. I use a gillette. Use gel, one pass only, and shave after a shower because the hairs are softer.

Works - I have less shaving cuts.

MemberMember
(@raistline)

Posted : 08/24/2016 8:47 am

(This is not an advertisement - do not read it as such)
I have been using the Dollar Shave Club "Executive Razors" with their Shave Butter for over a year now and this is so far the best combination I have found. It is cheaper then Gillette and with the Shave Butter stuff it is a smoother shave.

The only reason I use the "Executive" version now instead of the mid-range version is because it included the rear trimming blade that I use for my sideburns.

I have also heard great things about Harry's razor's as well. In the end any sharp blade should be fine but from all my experience the Shave Butter that DSC offers is the best lubricant for shaving, it is better than anything I have used that I can buy from the store.

I have always had to shave against the grain since shaving with leaves too much stubble. My hairs are quite coarse and I usually go through blades faster than most people I know because of it.

MemberMember
(@yth)

Posted : 09/03/2017 2:48 am

My skin would always get irritated with razor burn and ingrown hairs when I shaved with a razor, a couple of years ago I switched to using clippers with a "0" attachment and I don't think I will ever go back to razors again. For high quality clippers, look into Andis Masters and the purple magnetic guards by them. Fantastic. You don't want some cheap clippers snagging and pulling your facial hair.

https://www.amazon.com/Andis-15-Watt-Adjustable-Clipper-01557/dp/B000BBGS36/

https://www.amazon.com/Andis-Magnetic-Guide-Comb-Set/dp/B0018BWNDW/