Notifications
Clear all

Aloe Vera Gel And Tea Tree Oil Log

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 04/17/2015 7:04 am

Hello Acne.org people.

A few years ago I managed to mostly clear my acne using azelaic acid and up until recently I was still using it twice a day.

I still always had some spots but nothing like before my treatment and it was to the level where most people would never realise I had acne.

The problems were that my skin was slightly sore from using finacea/skinoren. If it has to be a choice between having acne and having slightly sore azelaic acid skin I go for the latter. Also its hard to use it on my back. In the early days my OH would put it on my back twice a day but due to conflicting schedules and me wanting him to get enough sleep my back never really gets azelaic acid any more so I still have considerable acne on my back....... but things may have changed.....

I recently went for a walk, bank holiday Monday so that must have been Monday 6th of April and I got burned in the sun..... I burned my face, chest and top of my back and shoulders. Whoops :S

When I get burned (rarely do I ever let this happen) I do not use azelaic acid because adding a chemical burn to a radiation burn seems like a pretty stupid idea.... soooooo I was predicting that my acne would resurface in the gap as it tends to return pretty quickly....

I decided I would create another treatment which could possibly help keep acne at bay a little and help heal the sunburn so I put a ring of Aloe Vera (Holland and Barrett) with 4/5 drops of tea tree oil (body shop), mix it on my hand and quickly apply the gel. I was super shiny but my skin felt soothed straight away and I had my fingers crossed that my breakout wouldnt be too bad.

5 days went by and my acne had not returned really... I had one or 2 spots but they were healing really fast already and the rest of my skin looked great. My sunburn had almost healed so I decided to stick to this... about a week went by and my skin was healing really fast from any spots which came up.

I then decided that it would be a good time to try a new experiment. I would try this new stuff on my skin in the long term and see if my skin remained as clear as it is on azelaic acid and if so I will cancel my prescription. I am giving these 2 months to work.

At the moment the Aloe Vera/Tea Tree mix is being applied only at night due to time constraints with the OH. I have been taking photos of my back because thats an area that was mostly untreated by azelaic acid so it should see the most improvement.

Apparently my photos are too big in size to share today but I will work something out but verbally, so far so good and the wonderful thing is that any spots that are coming up seem to be healing really fast.

The science:

Aloe Vera gel has been used for its medicinal properties for a long time. Medically relevant properties are included in the following link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763764/

Healing properties: significantly increases collagen synthesis after topical [use and ] Aloe gel not only increased collagen content of the wound but also changed collagen composition (more type III) and increased the degree of collagen cross linking. Due to this, it accelerated wound contraction

Effects on skin exposure to UV and gamma radiation: following the administration of aloe vera gel, an antioxidant protein, metallothionein, is generated in the skin, which scavenges hydroxyl radicals

Anti-inflammatory action: Aloe vera inhibits the cyclooxygenase pathway and reduces prostaglandin E2 production from arachidonic acid. Recently, the novel anti-inflammatory compound called C-glucosyl chromone was isolated from gel extracts

Effects on the immune system: Alprogen inhibit calcium influx into mast cells, thereby inhibiting the antigen-antibody-mediated release of histamine and leukotriene from mast cells

Moisturizing and anti-aging effect: Mucopolysaccharides help in binding moisture into the skin. Aloe stimulates fibroblast which produces the collagen and elastin fibers making the skin more elastic and less wrinkled. It also has cohesive effects on the superficial flaking epidermal cells by sticking them together, which softens the skin. The amino acids also soften hardened skin cells and zinc acts as an astringent to tighten pores. Its moisturizing effects has also been studied in treatment of dry skin associated with occupational exposure where aloe vera gel gloves improved the skin integrity, decreases appearance of fine wrinkle and decreases erythema. It also has anti-acne effect.

Antiseptic effect: Aloe vera contains 6 antiseptic agents: Lupeol, salicylic acid, urea nitrogen, cinnamonic acid, phenols and sulfur. They all have inhibitory action on fungi, bacteria and viruses

Tea Tree Oil:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17314442

"Topical 5% tea tree oil is an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne vulgaris."

I am using Holland and Barrett aloe Vero and the Body Shop tea tree oil myself so I cant speak for other products.

Anyway I will try and keep updating this with progress.

Today I am on day 1 of my menstral cycle so I should be having a massive breakout but.... things just arent too bad right now. 2 spots on jawline and an all over sprinkling of spots on my back as usual...... but milder..... My back is smoother than it used to be since I started using aloe vera and tea tree.

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 04/23/2015 9:51 pm

I never had much luck with tea tree oil. I tried it a long time ago though; I might've been doing it wrong. I don't remember. I never tried aloe vera gel. :o sounds like it would clog pores since it makes the skin so shiny

MemberMember
(@nicoblossom)

Posted : 05/27/2015 11:49 am

How are you doing with this regimine? I hope it works for you, I love aloe so much for my skin, but alone with tea tree it doesn't help enough. Are you diluting your tea tree oil? Maybe I need to not dilute mine and apply it all over like you are doing.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/31/2015 5:23 pm

Hello Acne.org people.

A few years ago I managed to mostly clear my acne using azelaic acid and up until recently I was still using it twice a day.

I still always had some spots but nothing like before my treatment and it was to the level where most people would never realise I had acne.

The problems were that my skin was slightly sore from using finacea/skinoren. If it has to be a choice between having acne and having slightly sore azelaic acid skin I go for the latter. Also its hard to use it on my back. In the early days my OH would put it on my back twice a day but due to conflicting schedules and me wanting him to get enough sleep my back never really gets azelaic acid any more so I still have considerable acne on my back....... but things may have changed.....

I recently went for a walk, bank holiday Monday so that must have been Monday 6th of April and I got burned in the sun..... I burned my face, chest and top of my back and shoulders. Whoops :S

When I get burned (rarely do I ever let this happen) I do not use azelaic acid because adding a chemical burn to a radiation burn seems like a pretty stupid idea.... soooooo I was predicting that my acne would resurface in the gap as it tends to return pretty quickly....

I decided I would create another treatment which could possibly help keep acne at bay a little and help heal the sunburn so I put a ring of Aloe Vera (Holland and Barrett) with 4/5 drops of tea tree oil (body shop), mix it on my hand and quickly apply the gel. I was super shiny but my skin felt soothed straight away and I had my fingers crossed that my breakout wouldnt be too bad.

5 days went by and my acne had not returned really... I had one or 2 spots but they were healing really fast already and the rest of my skin looked great. My sunburn had almost healed so I decided to stick to this... about a week went by and my skin was healing really fast from any spots which came up.

I then decided that it would be a good time to try a new experiment. I would try this new stuff on my skin in the long term and see if my skin remained as clear as it is on azelaic acid and if so I will cancel my prescription. I am giving these 2 months to work.

At the moment the Aloe Vera/Tea Tree mix is being applied only at night due to time constraints with the OH. I have been taking photos of my back because thats an area that was mostly untreated by azelaic acid so it should see the most improvement.

Apparently my photos are too big in size to share today but I will work something out but verbally, so far so good and the wonderful thing is that any spots that are coming up seem to be healing really fast.

The science:

Aloe Vera gel has been used for its medicinal properties for a long time. Medically relevant properties are included in the following link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763764/

Healing properties: significantly increases collagen synthesis after topical [use and ] Aloe gel not only increased collagen content of the wound but also changed collagen composition (more type III) and increased the degree of collagen cross linking. Due to this, it accelerated wound contraction

Effects on skin exposure to UV and gamma radiation: following the administration of aloe vera gel, an antioxidant protein, metallothionein, is generated in the skin, which scavenges hydroxyl radicals

Anti-inflammatory action: Aloe vera inhibits the cyclooxygenase pathway and reduces prostaglandin E2 production from arachidonic acid. Recently, the novel anti-inflammatory compound called C-glucosyl chromone was isolated from gel extracts

Effects on the immune system: Alprogen inhibit calcium influx into mast cells, thereby inhibiting the antigen-antibody-mediated release of histamine and leukotriene from mast cells

Moisturizing and anti-aging effect: Mucopolysaccharides help in binding moisture into the skin. Aloe stimulates fibroblast which produces the collagen and elastin fibers making the skin more elastic and less wrinkled. It also has cohesive effects on the superficial flaking epidermal cells by sticking them together, which softens the skin. The amino acids also soften hardened skin cells and zinc acts as an astringent to tighten pores. Its moisturizing effects has also been studied in treatment of dry skin associated with occupational exposure where aloe vera gel gloves improved the skin integrity, decreases appearance of fine wrinkle and decreases erythema. It also has anti-acne effect.

Antiseptic effect: Aloe vera contains 6 antiseptic agents: Lupeol, salicylic acid, urea nitrogen, cinnamonic acid, phenols and sulfur. They all have inhibitory action on fungi, bacteria and viruses

Tea Tree Oil:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17314442

"Topical 5% tea tree oil is an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne vulgaris."

I am using Holland and Barrett aloe Vero and the Body Shop tea tree oil myself so I cant speak for other products.

Anyway I will try and keep updating this with progress.

Today I am on day 1 of my menstral cycle so I should be having a massive breakout but.... things just arent too bad right now. 2 spots on jawline and an all over sprinkling of spots on my back as usual...... but milder..... My back is smoother than it used to be since I started using aloe vera and tea tree.

Crystal, i don't know if you remember me. You offered me such kind words in 2012 when i was on my topical regimen. I'm sorry that you have had to change a regimen that was working for you but i'm happy that you found something that works! My acne still sucks and i am in the same posiiton as i was in 2012 - such is life. Please keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 04/14/2017 8:04 am

Just to come back to this. It definately made my skin feel healthier but all in all it did not clear my skin. I gave up all added sugar and high sugar products recently and that is actually clearing my skin. X x