Notifications
Clear all

Dermapen - Where Are The Results?

MemberMember
(@skyedog92)

Posted : 04/16/2015 12:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I had my first Dermapen session in late January for moderate rolling acne scars over my cheeks and temples and also moderate boxcar scars on my forehead. 2.5mm needles were used for the cheeks and temples and 1.5mm needles were used on the forehead. I saw some very slight results a few weeks after that treatment. During consultation and after that treatment, the practitioner emphasised that I would only achieve significant/good results after the second treatment. I was prescribed hydration masks (for use during the first week after treatment), Vitamin E capsules and sunscreen (with moisturizer) as after-care.

I had my second Dermapen session in mid march (almost five weeks ago) and while there is some noticeable difference (scars slightly less indented), it does not seem significant at all. This time round, the needles used were the same 2.5mm on the cheeks + temples and 1.5mm on the forehead and other parts of the face. I was prescribed hydration masks, Vitamin C serum and sunscreen (with moisturizer) as after-care. 5 weeks after this treatment, my cheeks are still filled with holes that are very visible under certain lighting which makes me dread looking at the mirror.

I was reading on certain websites that it takes 6-8 weeks for collagen synthesis. I am very confused about this whole collagen synthesis thing. Does it take 6 to 8 weeks after each treatment before a new significant layer of collagen suddenly appears/fully rises up to the surface (thereby making the scars less indented) OR does it take up to 6 to 8 weeks for the scars to slowly fill up (starting from week 1)? My scars don't seem to be slowly filling up....

Given that its been 5 weeks since my second treatment, should I wait for another 1-3 weeks for a new layer collagen to appear (and make my scars significantly less indented)? In other words, am I judging the effectiveness of my second treatment too early?

My 3rd session (the last treatment) is in less than 2 weeks time (treatments are every 6 weeks). This time round, I was recommended the Dermapen and perfect peel for best results. Im not aiming for perfection but I yearn for the day when Im able to look at the mirror without noticing holes on my face.

Ive got another question: What is the purpose of sunscreen after microneedling treatment? Is it only to protect the skin from sunburn/hyper pigmentation or does it also prevent the new collagen layer from being destroyed? Ive read one of Prof Tony Chus articles mentioning that its not required for dermarolling (unlike laser the epidermis is not being thinned). I was instructed to wear sunscreen in-between treatments but I sometimes forget to wear it when heading outdoors on a quick trip (10-15 minutes) to the supermarket/library.

Cheers everyone!

MemberMember
(@hiddy-cheeks)

Posted : 04/17/2015 5:14 am

It's because collagen re-modelling is bullshit. Dermapen, lasers, needling, none of that works, it's all marketing spin and pseudo science.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 04/17/2015 10:06 am

The trick is to combine several modalities

It's because collagen re-modelling is bullshit. Dermapen, lasers, needling, none of that works, it's all marketing spin and pseudo science.

For acne scars that may be true. That's why I try to emphasize that people need to combine several modalities for the possibility of long term results. That said, it's important to find a physician that truly cares for you and sympathizes not for what's in your pocket. It's also important to do extensive research first hand before you opt for a certain treatment plan.

Myself for example in no specific order -

3 Vbeam @ practice

Various Tca/Salicylic @ home

Various Microneedling @ home

1 Subcision @ practice w/ suction @ home protocol

Anyways, OP I suggest you take a look at my detailed Subcision/Microneedling thread found & check out my journey along with detailed Clincal papers/studies as well as real before & afters of acne.org users that have inspired me to go the subcision route. And quit paying for microneedling, buy yourself a device such as the Derminator for $200 and do your own treatments in the comfort of our home, you'll end up saving $1000's!

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/18/2015 12:33 am

Subcision is probaby far more effective than Dermapen if the "holes" you described are rolling or even boxcar scars. Dermapen would not be my first line of attack, as I think it's more of a adjunctive procedure.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/19/2015 4:21 am

Dermapen will give 50-60% improvement after 7-8 sessions. Subcision with dermapen far more effective.

MemberMember
(@skyedog92)

Posted : 04/20/2015 12:23 pm

Thank you for your replies everyone. I will look into subscision after my 3rd dermapen treatment.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 04/25/2015 8:25 pm

I spent A LOT of money on dermarolling/derma stamping. 5 sessions. Zero results. It does improve overall skin quality so all is not lost. However, I'd explore other options.