Notifications
Clear all

Need Advice Please Help.

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 04/14/2015 9:03 am

I'm a 29 year old male (from the UK) and I've had acne since I was 18. Over the last 3 years I've had my acne under control with Quinoderm 5 % BP Cream. But due to new EU regulations there is a massive supply issue and I cant get hold of any BP products in the UK. I did get some Panoxyl and then Brevoxyl. All of which didnt work like Quinoderm. I also find any BP gel was harsh on my skin unlike the BP cream.

It's now been almost 7 months and I've not used any BP on my face and I have spots all over my cheeks, some surface spots put lots of under the surface spots. I also get the odd big spot around my mouth and chin.

What I am asking for is some advice on a regime I can try that is over the counter. I've tired every prescription medicine AND BP was the only thing that worked.

I currently use:

Clearasil Daily Clear Refreshing Superfruit Wash

Salcura Antiac ACTIV Liquid Spray

For shaving I use a a Gillette Sensor Excel Razor and Nivea Men Sensitive Shaving Gel.

Now my questions are:

Are there better products out there I can use? Should I go for the Antiac products as I've read good things about them and they are all natural.

Also in regards to shaving. I have every day as facial hair doesn't suite me but I cant grow a beard so if I dont shave I look stupid. Would an electric shaver be better for my skin but also work on day old stubble?

Finally should I shave first then wash my face or the other way round? Also are there any good shampoos to use that dont contain many chemicals that can react to my skin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@naturald)

Posted : 04/14/2015 9:09 am

Purechimp super face combo have worked well for me. They are not really medication products, more gentle on the skin meaning no aggravation. But I eat & drink well as well.

Can you not get hold of acne.org regime products?

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 04/14/2015 9:59 am

I could but doesn't the acne.org regime use BP gel? I find with the gel it doesn't soak into the skin and leaves it feeling tight and sticky. But with the cream I don't get those problems. I know I can moisturise after but I just feel the gel cloggs my pores unlike a cream. Maybe im wrong.

Plus it would cost 70 for a 2 months supply of the wash, gel and moisturiser. I can afford that every 2 months

How long have you been using the superchimp products and how long before you saw results? Also how bad was your acne?

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 04/14/2015 11:15 am

Maybe Avene Triacneal http://www.aveneusa.com/triacneal

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 04/15/2015 2:09 am

Is there anyone else out there who can give me advice? I remember this community used to thrive and get lots of responses when it came to asking for acne advice :(

MemberMember
(@ferocious_simplicity)

Posted : 04/17/2015 10:19 am

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@hide123)

Posted : 04/17/2015 5:01 pm

Im not a guy so I can't answer your shaving question really...but I would recommend shaving after you have washed your face with warm (not hot water), that way it stimulates your skin, opens up your pores, and softens the hair making it easier to shave and causes less irritation and possibly less acne. After shaving I would rinse with cool/cold water to close the pores and prevent dirt and bacteria from entering.

Is it possible for you to see a dermatologist about a new cream? You could try out differin cream (i think they have it in gel as well, but you said you didn't like gel), which I have heard is good, but I think you may need to get a prescription for that I am not sure.

But if you are already using a spray, I wouldn't necessarily also use a cream? Idk, to me that seems harsh and could irritate your skin further leading to more breakouts. So maybe choose between the spray or cream? But again, its up to you and every individual is different, so both may be what's best for you!

Your acne could also be due to some nutrient deficiency or some sort of imbalance in your body, and sing you're a guy, you may want to check your androgen levels, so you could always check that out with a blood test.

Have you considered also taking vitamins if you aren't already? I know that Maca Powder, Vitamin D & A, and Omega-3 are all very good for acne and just overall health, but you may want to do research or contact a nutritionist to see what would be best for you.

You may also want to try and moisturize your face, especially if you are shaving everyday that can dry out the skin and can cause more acne. You want a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic so it won't clog pores...I use this one from first aid beauty http://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-Beauty-Repair-Cream-6/dp/B0065I0UMO ....It really is amazing! Or if you don't want to moisturize, you should definitely consider using sunscreen to protect your skin..again one that is non-comedogenic.

Finally, drink lots of water to stay hydrated and to remove impurities and balance out your electrolytes in your body which can help in controlling acne.

I hope this helped a little! Good luck :)