Notifications
Clear all

Has Antibiotics Ever Actually Worked For Anyone?

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 04/13/2015 2:07 pm

And by that I mean has anyone ever gone on antibiotics and had their skin stay clear after they went off of it? It seems like all I'm reading are people who are clear while they're still on antibiotics, or those who say it comes right back after they stop taking antibiotics?

A question for people with moderate-severe acne btw.

MemberMember
(@chronbot)

Posted : 07/10/2015 7:19 pm

I'm starting to think that antibiotics do more harm than good. I've been on different ones for years. Recently, I tried weening on minocycline, and I had the worse breakout I've ever had. I'm now back on them. I'm hoping to get off of them soon.

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 07/11/2015 3:27 pm

For me my acne always came back worse than I started with after a course of antibiotics. Didnt take more than maybe 2 weeks before it was back full blown. Frusterating that all these doctors ever did for me was put me on more/different antibiotics.... They didn't keep it very one hunna. Should have just said it how it is, antibiotics are ineffective for people with cystic acne in the long term.

MemberMember
(@leftridingcropinmortuary)

Posted : 07/12/2015 10:24 am

Yeah, for me, they work for a bit, for a while. But it's not a long-term solution.

I wish I hadn't allowed myself to be fobbed off for so long.

MemberMember
(@chronbot)

Posted : 07/12/2015 4:36 pm

LeftRiding and someonegood12

Are either of you still taking antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@jbird12)

Posted : 07/12/2015 9:57 pm

The only antibiotic that has worked for me is Bactrim and even that was only while on the drug. My opinion is if you are young, suffering from teen hormonal acne then maybe antibiotics can help ride you through those years. If you have adult acne, then antibiotics are a waste of time.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 07/14/2015 8:52 pm

I was only on Bactrim for about a week before I had a small allergic reaction, and it was for a recurring UTI. But at that point, my birth control and topicals had more or less resolved any acne I had. I've heard Bactrim is one of the strongest antibiotics for acne, but I think a lot of people are allergic to the sulfa :/

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 07/14/2015 11:05 pm

I am 36 years old and have been on every antibiotic for acne and I never saw any real improvement. I have mild but persistant acne since 13. I have and always had super oily skin. To this day full on oil slick eve at 36. Antibiotics seemed to help a little bit with my back acne, but once I stopped it came back. every time I go back to the derm they always start me out with an antibiotic even though I make it clear I have been on it all starting at 16. Maybe they do that for the mere fact there really have been no advances in acne medication since I was 16!! ugh sad so they are prescribing almost all the same stuff they use to. My recent derm had me on minocylcine and he said its super strong and powerful but you can only be on it for three months because it is so strong, yet I saw no results which I expected since I had been on it before and whats the point I thought if you can only take it for a couple of months. I had one derm who told me he put me on antibiotics while on topicals to help reduce the break out from the topical and he made it seem like thats all it was for that antibiotics are not expected to be a cure but more of to help with the purging for me at the time for the new topical he was giving me.

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 07/15/2015 6:50 pm

LeftRiding and someonegood12

Are either of you still taking antibiotics?

At the moment no, I am on accutane though.

Starting tomorrow I am getting back on bactrim, my Derm said I have a bacterial thing that she sees like once every three or four years?

So, I guess the accutane is almost to the point where it stopped all my acne but I still have a bacterial thing causing a different time of inflammation.

My guess is that the bactrim and the accutane will make me clear and then when I get off the bactrim I'll still be dealing with this rare bacterial thing.