Almost 40 And Still...

Notifications
Clear all

Almost 40 And Still Acne

MemberMember
(@stillacne)

Posted : 04/09/2015 2:04 pm

Hello, I am new here.

I've been reading intensively since last year, and finally joined.

I will start with an introduction about myself.

(I do apologise in advance if my post sound venting.)

I am 38 already, and have had acne since I was 12 or 13.

The problem was, my acne was never been serious (compared to some other peoples' photos). Only 1 or 2 pustules or cysts at a time.

During my teen, I did not pay that much attention to acne, since most of my mates also have them.

I've been buying all those acne fash washing and over-counter acne treatments. Did those help? Well, those facial washing did reduce my super-oily face (for a while).

Then in my late 20s, a friend told me to get Roaccutane (known as Accutane in the States). I visited GP, instead of Roaccutane, I only received Minomycin.

That was probably the biggest mistake I made. The doctor looked at my face and said that mine was not that serious (in comparison to photos of very serious acne suffers), so he only prescribe me Minomycin. I did not insist on Roaccutane. BIG MISTAKE.

Did Minomycin help? Yes, but it did not cure. It reduced my acne quite a fair bit, and I continued to take it for 10 years.

I sort of forgot that I was getting way too old for acne, and simply take the pill of Minomycin daily without thinking.

Until last year, when asking for more prescriptions for Minomycin, (this is different doctor, not the one prescribing me initially). He finally noticed that I've had Minomycin way too long. And recommended me to a dermatologist for medications like Roaccutane.

I did. Well, dermatologists are extremely busy (at least in Australia), and I was scheduled for 4 months wait. Was told by the receptionist that mine was "just acne" not terminal.

Fine, I waited. Finally had an appointment. Then came the first blood test. And my cholesterol was too high.

Back to GP and get the cholesterol down to good level. Two or 3 months later, another blood test (cholesterol: pass), and dermatologist said that my liver (whatever) index was too high. So back to GP again.

Another 2 months later, another blood test, cholestterol pass and liver pass. Still no medicine, only told me to go back in 3 months time after another blood test.

So, I returned to the derm this year, and finally got the prescription for Roaccutane. Guess what? only the lowest 5mg dosage for 60 days. Currently a bit more than half way through.

So put into prespective, I am 38 years old. If the life expectancy is 76, I am already half way through... and still suffering with acne.

After 10 years of Minomycin, my liver (whatever) index is of course not having a perfect score.

And it took me almost one year to get the prescription. Why on earth do they have to make it so difficult (to obtain the medication) for me?

During my late teen and early 20s. My life was screwed up by my evil mother (she made my life extremely difficult, I will save the details here) and I simply had no time to take care about my acne issue when I was younger.

Life went on, and 25 years of acne (and still going), 10 years on Minomycin... And I've read plenty of examples on other members here able getting the holy medicine at such young age. I am jealous.

Again, my apology for not a very polite post. Sorry for the rent. You probably can tell, I am extremely unhappy with my acne issue and my scarred face. I should post a photo of my scar.

(PS. I don't have good relation with my mother. In fact, extremely bad relationship with her.)

MemberMember
(@mamam26)

Posted : 04/17/2015 2:18 pm

Hi

So sorry to hear about your struggles. This is my first post on this site, I was trying to find the right place to post and came across your post.

I cannot believe you were on an Antibiotics for 10 years. I'm in shock. I'm worried to be on them for 3 months. There are a lot of problems that antibiotics cause to your gut flora, and your stomach. Antibiotics kill all the healthy bacteria we need it our guts, and that is only a small portion of it. Just do some research on antibiotics and how they affect us and how to treat yourself etc. The problems in your gut may be causing your acne to not go away now ( possibly, I'm not sure all the side affects of antibiotics) , sometimes doctors are stupid ;) lol

Also I think a good thing would be to try other remedies other then just medication. I'm sure you have, but obviously your diet, stay away from dairy, sugar and drink a lot of water. Things like that, which I'm sure you know.

I have been on acutane twice, antibiotics like minocyclin, and so many different lotions, washes, etc, and my acne has always come back.

But for alot of people it works. If there isn't something else untreated causing the acne.

Sometimes you can treat the acne, but if you don't find out what it is caused from, it will just come back. The medications will treat it but not cure it. :)

Im going through this right now with my doctor, he just wants to treat my acne but we need to figure our what it is caused from ( which could be so many different things)

I have to wait a year to see a dermatologist.

Good luck with everything :)

MemberMember
(@stillacne)

Posted : 04/18/2015 4:10 am

Thank you for reply.

It was my own fault. I was happy with antibiotics (Minomycin) initially. (I did not know antibiotics wasn't never designed to be the cure.) Anyway, life got busy and went on, once running low (on antibiotics), I got repeats from GP. All until last year that the GP noticed that I've been on antibiotics for way too long. (Due to moving, I had 3 GPs during the period.)

So finally I was referred to a dermatologist. Except that my liver was sort of damaged (due to antibiotics, according to derm), so it took a year to finally get the prescription of Roaccutane for the first time.

The feeling of being rejected of the known acne-cure medication was not a nice feeling. I was rejected a number of times last year, and I had a long think of the life I had which lead me to a bit depressed. (I did not get depressed of Roaccutane/Accutane, but I got depressed for being refused a number of times).

My acne (even during teen), was not really severe (compared to some photos or my high school mates). He had very bad acne. He had on Roaccutane/Accutane, and face cleared up. Side effects wasn't comfortable (according to him), but it was definitely worth it to get the holy curing medication as early as possible. I envy him on that aspect.

Perhaps not severe, however scars accommodate. Yet, 20+ years of scars. And my scars tend to get red with some sun exposure. I hope no one suffers similar to my experience, and don't make stupid mistake I made.

Well, one positive thing, I believe I learned makeup (for guys) over those years. Hardly anyone noticed that I wear makeup most days.

MemberMember
(@rosewaters)

Posted : 07/04/2015 4:53 pm

Hi there! I read your post and share your pain more than you can imagine! This is also my first post on here. I am 42 years old and still suffer with acne. I have suffered since I was around 13 years old. I had my first dose of Accutane when I was 18. It helped tremendously for about 6-8 months. I was so embarrassed as a teenager yet alone as I continued into my adult years. I have been on and off Accutane several times. It is the ONLY thing that will clear up my skin. I take a 20mg dose twice a week, but suffer from the side effects. It causes joint pain and sometimes severe to migraine headaches. Sadly, I feel my only choices are to decide which is worse ~ looking in the mirror and crying everyday or deal with the side effects. I don't think anyone suffering and dealing with adult acne understands why this continues. I look around at people who don't have acne and wonder - why me? My life is so much easier when I don't have to spend an extra hour in the mirror everyday. Vacations are easier, just getting through the day is easier. I was so embarrassed for my husband to see me. He is totally against Accutane, but I'm sorry.... Bottom line, if one doesn't suffer from acne, it is hard for them to understand! I have been on the low dose of Accutane since last September. I have my blood checked every month, and my cholesterol and liver levels have been fine. I just really wanted you to know how much I understand how you feel and where you are coming from. It is hard not to vent. I just want to wake up and not have to worry about what I see in the mirror. I always thought - when I get older, I won't have to deal with this. My dermatologist told me I could have this into my 50's! I can't imagine! So many occasions in my life I've wanted to run and hide. I still do if not on the Accutane. So from one person in their 40's to another ~ I hope we can both get rid of this horrible condition!!

bumpee and stillacne liked
MemberMember
(@stillacne)

Posted : 07/13/2015 11:55 pm

Rosewater,

If you are in Sydney, I will give you a hug. Thank you for your writing.

I think I should provide a quick update: I am on my 5th month of Roaccutane/Accutane, taking a low 5mg dose each day (although I do missed a few days).

During the first month, my acne got worse. After 2nd month, there are hardly any "noticeable" acne on my face, still some minor blackhead on my face. My back was still pretty bad. (I always had bad acne on my back. Lucky I don't have acne on my chest or neck.)

At end of 4th month, my face and back were both improved (still some, but not noticeable). The dermatologist gave me prescription for same low 5mg dosage per day and said that I need to take Roaccutane/Accutane until I get rid of acne completely. Asking how long? "As long as it takes" was the answer.

Lucky I don't have severe side effect, only dry lips from time to time.

Bottom line, if one doesn't suffer from acne, it is hard for them to understand!

That's very true. My boyfriend does not have any acne. He does not know the emotional pain of still having acne in adulthood.

The photo on my profile (taken this year) shows one active acne and other red dots are acne scars without makeup. Sun makes acne scar turn redder hence more noticeable, the scar turns red faster than the skin gets tan. So each day, sunblock and foundation to cover up are a must.

The other day I saw some high school/university kids without any acne (or scars) on their faces. Apart from jealous, I just feel so bad about myself. Why me? 25+ years and still need to deal with acne.

I just really wanted you to know how much I understand how you feel and where you are coming from. It is hard not to vent. I just want to wake up and not have to worry about what I see in the mirror. I always thought - when I get older, I won't have to deal with this. My dermatologist told me I could have this into my 50's! I can't imagine! So many occasions in my life I've wanted to run and hide. I still do if not on the Accutane. So from one person in their 40's to another ~ I hope we can both get rid of this horrible condition!!

Thank you. Good luck to your treatment.

MemberMember
(@holly-elena)

Posted : 07/30/2015 11:54 pm

Hello still acne,

I am 35 and still deal with acne, although mild right now I feel your pain I have been on antibiotics for extended periods as well but worried for my health, I'm on birth control right now I feel the lesser of the 2 evils still this poses a risk, I have tried to get offt hem but a month later my face swells up with deep cyctic acne, is like my face trys to makeup for alll the pimples its been holding back for years!!!! So in other words I feel like I am stuck, but reading some other people's regimens they've tried I think this may help you, it def wouldn't hurt.

MamaM26 mentioned the dangers of antibiotics which is clear, in another forum they were talking about how probiotics were helping them there acne, one person mixed small amounts of it from the capsule in there moisturizer another said they were taking a daily culturelle dose and have been clear for 3 months, I am going to have my son try this to see if it works and if it does maybe it will work for me and can finally get off birth control!

What I am suggesting for you is to start a daily dose of probiotics if only to replace the good bacteria you are killing off with your antibiotic prescription you are on rt now and maybe a continued use after the antibiotic cycle is over and maybe this will help with it not coming back like others have complained about, believe me I am not judging I only think it makes sense to me and sounds promising and what could it hurt

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 08/13/2015 10:24 pm

Hi All,

I also went through the process of antibiotics and topicals and finally roaccutane which worked for me. Fortunately for me I found a supportive GP in my early 20s who got me onto roaccutane. You're so right that those without acne don't understand your suffering...they think it will just go away by itself and for a lot of people it does but for those of us less fortunate we have enough insecurities without the burden of acne. I still get an occasional pimple now in my 40s but am a lot more comfortable in my skin now than back then and it does clear up fairly quickly with some topical cream. Good luck with your Accutane treatments!

MemberMember
(@teemorties)

Posted : 08/14/2015 10:23 am

39 here. Mild to moderate since around 18. Clearist I've been was on antibiotics in the early 2000s. Have an old passport to prove it.

Now I just breakout around my mouth but have it mostly under control with BP. It's hard having adult acne as no one really has it and they can't understand why you do.

MemberMember
(@dezze)

Posted : 10/02/2015 7:48 am

Hi all - 1st post please be gentle.

Had eczema when I was younger and the odd spot when I was older. I got to the ripe old age of 49 last year and went on a health kick losing over 60ibs in 5 months...which was great, but I started to break out all the time. I tried over the counter products but it didn't really help. Eventually I went to the doctor who said it was likely I had upset my hormones through the weight loss. He recommended BP 10% , without much more information (this is in Great Britain). I searched the internet and found acne.org. I decided to try it and order a travel size BP which came from the US and followed the acne.org regimen. Truely the best health decision I've ever made. I went from waking up wondering how many whiteheads I'd have today, to effectively nothing within a week. I bought AHA on the back of that and that has been really good too - the combination of weight loss and clear, smooth skin means people often think I'm 10 years younger.

I'm not associated in any way to acne.org, nor trying to say 'look at how good I am' by any means. Just wanted to say that there are older people that have followed the acne.org regimen and found it to be pretty spectacular. Literally just bought a big size BP bottle from acne.org....shipping doubles the cost to Britain, but I'm more than happy to pay.

What I don't understand is there appears to be sound medical reasons to use BP, and there is a great deal of user evidence that it works....but certainly over here it's virtually unheard of. There must be huge numbers in this county alone that would greatly benefit, but just don't know....my doctor had heard of the benefits of BP, but certainly not acne.org and the regimen....those that may be prescribed BP in Britain are probably not moisturising etc which is critical.

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@stillacne)

Posted : 11/09/2015 1:41 am

Thank you for everybody's post and support. Most people who don't have acne after their teen don't really understand the emotional issue caused by acne.
Just some updates on Roaccutane/Accutane. It has been worked very well, and dermatologist decided to lower it down to 2.5mg/day (from 5mg/day). I hope the treatment can go well and last. This is my first time on Roaccutane/Accutane.

To be fair, my acne was never severe, but still have acne. And I still regret that I did not get into Roaccutane/Accutane earlier in my life.

MemberMember
(@mcystic)

Posted : 12/07/2015 5:27 am

I have been suffering from acne my entire life. I was born with infantile acne and started seeing a dermatologist before I was 12. My acnehas always been intractable and has been cystic for the majority of my life. Ihave tried literally everything, including Accutane.

After eliminating certain foods over the past 2 years, it got a lot beter. Over the past month or so, however, it has gotten very bad, to the point that I can't go out in public. I don't know why. I haven't changed anything.

Over the course of my life I've had numerous blood tests but nobody has ever found the cause. I don't understand how I can have a lifetime of severe acne without finding a cause. Now that it's exacerbated again, I don't know what I am going to do.

MemberMember
(@kelly-jones)

Posted : 12/17/2015 8:04 am

IT IS THE WATER!!!! Weacne prone ppl are allergic to chemicals. STOP using them!!

Our skin and hair can't handle Free Chlorine (Cl-), Combined Chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite), Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg smell) andIron Oxide (rust water)

Get a filtered shower head!!!! You will be amazed how your water is damaging your skin and hair. A filter will filter chemicals making your hard water softer. Trust me, I have tried everything before I started washing my body with only filtered water. Wash your face with combinations of honey, lemon, and coconut oil and sugar for exfoliation. Thayers Witch Hazel (No Alcohol) as toner. Use aloe Vera gel as moisturizer. Tea tree oil is great too. Stick to natural products as listed above.

Don't use lofas and do use wash cloths but oxiclean them when washing, do not bleach them

Birth Control is a Big No as is Man-Made antibiotics. Opt for natural antibiotics such as garlic and orgeano

If for some reason the moon turns purple and this does not work, get tested for food allergies ex dairy or gluten and Do educate yourself on GMO's

You all are Beautiful Best Of Luck!!

MemberMember
(@suzyshop)

Posted : 01/26/2018 6:07 am

On 7/4/2015 at 5:53 PM, rosewaters said:

Hi there! I read your post and share your pain more than you can imagine! This is also my first post on here. I am 42 years old and still suffer with acne. I have suffered since I was around 13 years old. I had my first dose of Accutane when I was 18. It helped tremendously for about 6-8 months. I was so embarrassed as a teenager yet alone as I continued into my adult years. I have been on and off Accutane several times. It is the ONLY thing that will clear up my skin. I take a 20mg dose twice a week, but suffer from the side effects. It causes joint pain and sometimes severe to migraine headaches. Sadly, I feel my only choices are to decide which is worse ~ looking in the mirror and crying everyday or deal with the side effects. I don't think anyone suffering and dealing with adult acne understands why this continues. I look around at people who don't have acne and wonder - why me? My life is so much easier when I don't have to spend an extra hour in the mirror everyday. Vacations are easier, just getting through the day is easier. I was so embarrassed for my husband to see me. He is totally against Accutane, but I'm sorry.... Bottom line, if one doesn't suffer from acne, it is hard for them to understand! I have been on the low dose of Accutane since last September. I have my blood checked every month, and my cholesterol and liver levels have been fine. I just really wanted you to know how much I understand how you feel and where you are coming from. It is hard not to vent. I just want to wake up and not have to worry about what I see in the mirror. I always thought - when I get older, I won't have to deal with this. My dermatologist told me I could have this into my 50's! I can't imagine! So many occasions in my life I've wanted to run and hide. I still do if not on the Accutane. So from one person in their 40's to another ~ I hope we can both get rid of this horrible condition!!

If u think having acne in your 40s is the end, don't be alarmed if it continues into your 60s like mine has, for yrs mine was kept under control using retin-a micro, but for some reason it seems to not be working as well. It seems like any meds u take internally after awhile they become less and less effective.Im glad that some ppl can tolerate accutane, without raising there cholesterol, but there are those who can't because they have cholesterol problems already. I hope the accutane works for u because I know how debilitating acne can be to a persons self esteem.

MemberMember
(@fraz_2010)

Posted : 01/26/2018 6:21 am

You think it may be possible that your acne is connected to your poor liver index? Perhaps you need to work on improving your liver function, rather than taking accutane?