Notifications
Clear all

About To Give Up..idc

MemberMember
(@skate123skate)

Posted : 04/06/2015 9:22 am

I'm at my wits end , I have acne that appears on the sides of my face and temples mainly but occasionally I'll get one on the front , it is mild to moderate not TERRIBLE but definitely noticeable .. I had an accutane consult and the derm didn't accept our insurance so I went to a different dermatologist and now she wants to give me Doxycyline instead .. I insisted on accutane and she wouldn't budge. So now I have to waste another 3 months of my life with acne because she wouldn't listen. I'm so sick

Of life idk what to do anymore , I know this isn't going to work. I'm

Honestly about to just take high amounts of vitamin a , Idc if I get the toxicity .

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 04/06/2015 11:35 am

Hi -

Dermatologist are held to some pretty strict standards in prescribing accutane. You must have acne that is 1) Severe, and/or 2) cystic (likely to scar), or 3) does not respond to conventional treatments.

Technically, in order for a dermatologist to prescribe accutane for non-cystic acne, they have to show that your acne does not respond to conventional treatment, since it sounds like your acne is not severe or cystic. So, if you haven't tried antibiotics yet - you will have to go through a course in order to get a script for accutane. If you have already taken a course of antibiotics for acne, you should have the doctor that prescribed you the antibiotics send your records to your current dermatologist to show that your acne does not respond to less aggressive treatment.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 04/06/2015 1:28 pm

yep, and Accutane is a rough ride....

what have you tried? diet isn't the answer for everyone, but dairy and wheat are problems for many...can you ditch dairy at least and see what happens?

have you tried the acne.org routine? if you acne isn't cystic, it can work wonders, have you really tried it?

MemberMember
(@skate123skate)

Posted : 04/06/2015 4:09 pm

I have tried solodyn , EVERY otc product , every natural ... I never eat dairy to begin with so thats not a problem and i switched my diet about a week and 3 days ago to cut out all highly processed foods, sugars , carbs, and all the no-nos like soybean oil wheat etc .. nothing , im really sick of this. I doubt Doxycycline will work but im praying because i really dont wanna deal with the acne when i go to basic...

yep, and Accutane is a rough ride....

what have you tried? diet isn't the answer for everyone, but dairy and wheat are problems for many...can you ditch dairy at least and see what happens?

have you tried the acne.org routine? if you acne isn't cystic, it can work wonders, have you really tried it?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/06/2015 5:22 pm

I feel you. You didn't mention any dermatological products you've tried if any (differin, retin-a, tazorac). Also, 3 weeks is nothing in the regards to dieting. You have to give it at least 3 months before saying it doesn't work.

Accutane may seem like the end and all and be all but as a 4 time user, i can tell you that the above poster is right. It's a rough ride. My last course put me in the hospital at a low dose as my lever enzymes were in the 500's and my glucose levels were almost in the diabetic range. With that said, it does work for many but it should be used only as a last resort. Try topicals, try doxy (though i am not a fan of antibiotics) and then if none of that or prolonged diet changes work, by all means, plead with your derm for accutane.

MemberMember
(@skate123skate)

Posted : 04/06/2015 7:39 pm

I feel you. You didn't mention any dermatological products you've tried if any (differin, retin-a, tazorac). Also, 3 weeks is nothing in the regards to dieting. You have to give it at least 3 months before saying it doesn't work.

Accutane may seem like the end and all and be all but as a 4 time user, i can tell you that the above poster is right. It's a rough ride. My last course put me in the hospital at a low dose as my lever enzymes were in the 500's and my glucose levels were almost in the diabetic range. With that said, it does work for many but it should be used only as a last resort. Try topicals, try doxy (though i am not a fan of antibiotics) and then if none of that or prolonged diet changes work, by all means, plead with your derm for accutane.

I've only tried one other oral which was minocycline , just started doxy today ... I've tried tazorac , clindamycin ( i think thats what its called ) and a lot of other topicals .. and every otc ..