Notifications
Clear all

Does Anyone Know What A Whitehead Is?

MemberMember
(@uareflawless321)

Posted : 04/05/2015 6:59 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have pretty mild acne, a few spots here and there, a sprinkling of scarring from when it used to be really bad, basically my skin is just about to be perfect but not. This pimple plague had to happen. Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone could tell me exactly what a whitehead is? I think it's white blood cells, right? Are whiteheads a good sign that your body is fighting off the pimple? So many questions! Pretty much all the pimples I have turn into whiteheads at some point or another, and that's why I'm asking!

Thank You!

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 04/05/2015 7:53 pm

Actually, a whitehead isn't a pimple at all. A whitehead is a form of comedonal acne, which is the noninflamed variety, that is, they are pores filled with hardened sebum. It's basically a blackhead before it oxidizes and darkens...hence whitehead, blackhead. It's a very common misnomer on this site and many members don't realize that whitehead isn't the correct term for inflamed acne. The correct term for a pimple that is filled with white pus is pustule. For years I also referred to any zit with a white bump as a whitehead.

Hope this answers your question! :)

MemberMember
(@uareflawless321)

Posted : 04/09/2015 3:58 pm

Actually, a whitehead isn't a pimple at all. A whitehead is a form of comedonal acne, which is the noninflamed variety, that is, they are pores filled with hardened sebum. It's basically a blackhead before it oxidizes and darkens...hence whitehead, blackhead. It's a very common misnomer on this site and many members don't realize that whitehead isn't the correct term for inflamed acne. The correct term for a pimple that is filled with white pus is pustule. For years I also referred to any zit with a white bump as a whitehead.

Hope this answers your question! :)

Oh wow! This is amazingly helpful, thank you! I've always thought that it was a pimple. Thank you!