Regimen For Mild Ac...

Notifications
Clear all

Regimen For Mild Acne

MemberMember
(@conan27)

Posted : 04/02/2015 10:51 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on acne.org but I've been reading up on the regimen and community posts for a while now. I found this site while looking for a solution to my mild but persistent acne. I figured I'd write a review for anyone in a similar situation to me.

My skin is very oily, sensitive, prone to redness, with large pores and mild acne primarily around my temples, cheeks, and jawline (hormonal). I'm meticulous about caring for my skin so I couldn't understand why I kept breaking out. I've tried RX medicine (Differin), Paula's Choice products, salicylic acid, Clean and clear's persagel, and other products claiming to treat acne. I did have success in the past using differin and persagel, but the combo left my face red all the time. I finally decided to try the regimen even though I felt my acne wasn't severe enough to warrant using harsh ingredients.

I began my version of the regimen if December 2014. Wash with Purpose cleanser, followed my Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner, Acne.org BP, and Cetephil moisturizer. I only did this once a day at night. In the morning I just wash my face and use Oil of Oily SPF 15 moisturizer.

I experienced the burning, redness, and itchiness associated with the BP even just using it once a day. It was almost unbearable to the point it was hard to fall asleep. I started reading up on solutions to this problem and decided to purchase jojoba oil (desert essence). At first I just mixed the oil in with the Cetephil and that helped a great deal with the irritation. I finally got to the point that I just replaced the Cetephil with the jojoba oil and I think that has made all the difference.

Exactly 2 months after I began the regimen I noticed I was no longer breaking out, and I honestly haven't gotten a breakout since. I used the read these reviews and assume people were exaggerating their results, but straight up - this worked for me. The jojoba oil has subsided all redness and irritation and it just keeps getting better. My current (and forever) regimen is:

Wash with Purpose cleanser

Tone with Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner (very soothing)

Apply BP all over ( I apply a small dot on each cheek, forehead, nose, and chin) I've kept the amount of BP consistent the entire time

Apply Cetephil cream just around eyes

Let dry for 5-10 minutes

Apply 10 drops of jojoba oil

My advice- be consistent, use the jojoba oil from the start, be gentle and aware of what you do to your face. I was able to get rid of my acne only using the regimen once at night and a small amount of BP. I'm not sure if using more frequently and more product would have speed up the process? But the irritation just wasn't worth it.

PS - the toner and jojoba oil are helping to fade red marks as well... I'm too scared to try the AHA right now :)

MemberMember
(@leeleengo)

Posted : 04/03/2015 1:33 pm

I wish I tried your consistent BP once a day routine! I had mild acne too but it kept coming back. I decided to go on the Regimen and followed the instructions exactly to completely get rid of my acne. I don't think the side effects of the BP was worth it because I only had mild acne )= I am on my 4th week and still suffering flakiness, irritation, and redness. I even broke out more. Buuuuuut I am going to stick through with it and hopefully see some results. Glad to hear it worked out for you! :)

MemberMember
(@christi112233)

Posted : 04/04/2015 6:05 pm

It helps to hear someone using less BP for mild acne. I have been on the regimen for 6-7 weeks now and am still flaking - completely clear however! And I still look a bit sunburnt every day. I only use one pump, morning and night, but may scale it back a touch because I can't stand the redness anymore.

MemberMember
(@conan27)

Posted : 04/14/2016 10:11 pm

Just to update everyone...

I'm still using the acne.org BP & the same amount! I've had clear skin for over a year so in the past 6 months I've added a few other things to my routine:
PM:
Wash: Purpose cleanser
Toner: Paula's Choice Skin Balancing
Apply BP
Apply Paula's Choice eye cream
Wait 5 minutes
Apply ~10 drops of jojoba oil plus 4 drops of Paula's Choice C15 booster (vitamin C)

AM:
Purpose cleanser
Paula's Choice BHA Daily Pore Refining Exfoliant
Paula's Choice Calm Redness Relief Antioxidant Serum
Paula's Choice Ultra Light SPF Moisturizer
Paula's Choice eye cream

I also use a gentle wash cloth to remove makeup. And yes, I'm a big Paula's Choice fan! Find what works for you and stick with it!

MemberMember
(@purple-owl)

Posted : 04/23/2016 5:30 am

This could be helpful to me. My acne is also mild. I've been on the regimen for nine days, using BP twice a day. The last few days have been agony for my face which looks and feels sunburnt and stings all day. I'm going to have a break to let my redness subside a bit, and start again only using a small amount of BP and just stay on a small amount to see if it keeps me clear.

What are the toners and eyecreams for?
Currently I use cleanser, BP, and then moisturiser with jojoba in the AM and PM. I will test out only using BP in the PM.