Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Had Or Heard Of A Bad Experience With Subcision?

MemberMember
(@ketuhope)

Posted : 04/01/2015 8:52 pm

I am contemplating about doing subcision, since I have some deep scars on the left side of my cheek that bother me. Under certain lighting they look horrible, and under good light they are still noticeable.

I am just wondering if there has been any stories where someone did subcision and it made their scars look worse or deeper?

I found a plastic surgeon who is willing to do this procedure, but the thought of having a sharp instrument going in my face makes me uncomfortable. Or is subcision a relatively harmless procedure? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 04/01/2015 9:15 pm

I really haven't heard many horror stories with subcision. I think I've only seen one and the complaint was that some of the scars resurfaced years later (which usually happens since you lose collagen when you age). If you have deep scars I think it's absolutely worth it...it really is the most cost effective scar procedure with very little risk and downtime compared to lasers.

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/02/2015 3:01 am

It's really not painful at all if you are numbed up. You will have lots of swelling and bruising though if the procedure is aggressive. Because all the trauma is happening below the surface, the skin itself is not raw and exposed like after a resurfacing procedure.

Like others have said, I believe that for scars that have volume loss or deeper indentations, subcision is the best route to level them up.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 04/02/2015 3:08 am

The only bad things I have read is the amount of blood that leaked down from the forehead during the subsicion, and the embarrassing swelling of the face after the procedure. You should probably ask how long it takes the monsterous swelling to go down. I've read one girl's swelling lasted about three weeks. Also, I've read one instance where the tools were felt on the forehead. No pain. It was just odd and probably annoying. If you're not getting any on the forehead, you're good.

MemberMember
(@fork889)

Posted : 04/02/2015 2:03 pm

Besides the swelling I have never heard of subcision making things worse, seems like one of the safer procedures.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/03/2015 10:34 am

there is a girl i know from this site that had it done and was left with raised scarring from it. i dont think she is on here much anymore but she saw Dr. Rappaport.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 04/04/2015 12:00 am

Not really. Mines go well so far, 1 week in

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/04/2015 12:38 am

Some doctors are using cellulaze for subcision which doesn't cause any swelling either

MemberMember
(@ronron)

Posted : 04/04/2015 2:29 am

You might be left with shallow ice pick scars, it really depends on the person. If you have deep rolling scars, its worth the trade off for shallow ice pick scars.

MemberMember
(@bluedog88)

Posted : 04/07/2015 12:34 pm

You might be left with shallow ice pick scars, it really depends on the person. If you have deep rolling scars, its worth the trade off for shallow ice pick scars.

can you elaborate on this? I've never heard of subcision causing icepicks

MemberMember
(@ronron)

Posted : 04/07/2015 9:14 pm

can you elaborate on this? I've never heard of subcision causing icepicks

When you puncture the skin in various places with the needle horizontally, the skin might not heal properly sometimes and leave shallow ice pick looking scars. Comparing it to icepick is probably not right, but its the only was i can describe it.

MemberMember
(@bluedog88)

Posted : 04/09/2015 10:52 pm

is scarring from the needle insertions common? Everyone seems to imply that this is pretty minimal.

Also, how bad is sun exposure before/after Subcision? I'm thinking of having it done in the summer, but I really don't want to avoid the outdoors completely

MemberMember
(@fory0608)

Posted : 05/24/2015 7:16 am

Binga,

Is anyone using cellulaze for the treatment of acne scars?? If you know of anyone please share!

I would love to try this procedure!