Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Yes Or No? Pics Included

MemberMember
(@slooye)

Posted : 03/31/2015 5:13 pm

Hi ive been suffering with oily acne prone skin for around 3 years now. I was 13 when it all started.

Ive had enough with my skin and want to go on accutane. But all the risks scare me is the pain and dryness managble. Im also going to be in the sun a lot and would like to know if i wont be able to go out and skateboard its spring now and i want to be able to get out of the house and not feel crippled.

I included a picture below. Should i go on accutane? Are the side effects that bad?

post-450696-0-41952500-1427839986_thumb.

MemberMember
(@natedogg721)

Posted : 03/31/2015 6:28 pm

I would, its worth giving it a shot cant get much worse.

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 03/31/2015 6:37 pm

I mean, I'm gonna vote no obviously because I'm part of the 3 -5% that landed with permanent side effects. But aside from that bias, I'm still gonna have to say no with your moderate acne. You will probably continue to have moderate acne until your early 20's especially with your fair skin which will be prone to flare ups, but you gotta look at the bigger picture. A. You are a teen and B. anything you think that you cant do now, you have plenty of time to do when you are 21+ years old without taking the risk. Relationships as a teen are trial and error. Jobs as well at that age. You should just be focused on finishing school and having fun with your friends. Clear skin I'd say should come into play when you are 23+ years old looking to join the workforce and start real relationship dating. If you aren't clear by 23, then schedule an appointment. Remember, Accutane is the most powerful drug on the market, there's no going back.

MemberMember
(@scottygirl)

Posted : 04/01/2015 1:46 am

I would say definitely yes for the following reasons.

1. This is a part of your life where confidence is so important - having acne can completely destroy that, with the potential to affect the rest of your life.

2. Scarring will become an issue if it prolongs.

3. You can ask to go on a low dose (a more common way of prescribing it nowadays) which means less, if any, side effects.

4. Life is too short to live with acne if you can (hopefully) do something about it.

I say go for it and good luck.

MemberMember
(@cshock1)

Posted : 04/01/2015 4:38 pm

As a person that's currently on accutane I would say yes. My acne wasn't as bad as yours prior to starting but now it gets worse when it breaks out which is normal.

The dryness isn't painful besides in the morning your lips can sting when you smile or try to eat.

Your face and lips will be drier than hell but again it's not painful. Really you can't manage the dryness as much as you'd hope. I use so much moisturizers and still look like somebody shook dandruff on my face and glued it there.

The only negative really is the initial breakout which you may be lucky and not get, and the joint pain which you may also not get

MemberMember
(@clarityplease)

Posted : 04/15/2015 9:22 am

I am basing my response on the research I have done, anecdotes and my own experience.

Firstly, I believe you are too young to be taking "Accutane" (generic name isotretinoin). It is a very potent drug with significant systemic implications. That is, it affects your entire body. Not just your skin. As human growth does not end until age 23-25, I don't believe anyone <22 years old should use it unless their acne is severely psychologically distressing, and they have tried practically every other option. And they are made aware of all of the potential side effects.

In saying that, it is a very effective drug. Low doses have shown effectiveness and remission of acne with markedly lower side effects than if taking a higher dose. On a lower dose, you would have to take it for a longer period of time, but the reduction in side effects would be worthwhile.

Discuss with your doctor/derm any concerns. I don't think a responsible derm would prescribe it (isotretinoin) unless you'd tried other medications first.

MemberMember
(@lolo031082)

Posted : 04/17/2015 7:14 pm

Well I can only base it on my experience with accutane and I must say its godsend! I'm 33 years old and have been suffering from oily acne prone skin since I was 14. The only thing that worked was accutane and I've tried every prescription for acne known to man! So go for it!!

MemberMember
(@kwrhl)

Posted : 04/24/2015 1:57 pm

I'm gonna say 'Why not'?? If you can afford it!

I am on accutane now, It's my 3rd month. I can say I am more confident now with my skin (although it left alot of scars) it's better than having army of pimples.

Pros: CONFIDENCE

Cons: Dry lips, dry face, nose bleeds*

*You can experience these stuff or not. It depends on the user.