Notifications
Clear all

Supplements For Acne

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 03/31/2015 12:00 pm

I take a lot of supplements and thought I would write them down. Yesterday (at Target) I bought this really overpriced stuff called Perfect Skin and basically is just Omega 3, Zinc, Selenium, and Chromium. They taste like fish so badly I don't even know if I will take them. But I'm still excited about them because I've been researching Chromium Picolinate, which I hadn't heard of, and a lot of people have cleared their acne with it. Someone on acne.org in 2008 said he took 600mcg for 6 weeks then when his acne was completely gone he took 200mcg. So I think I will try it. What I take now in hopes of helping acne:

• Basic Multi
  • Multi B
  • Vitamin A 20,000 iu
  • Vitamin C 1,400 mg
  • Vitamin D 1,000 iu (was taking a lot more but it didn't seem to do much)
  • Vitamin E 400 iu
  • Omega 3,6,9 1,200 mg
  • Zinc 50 mg
  • Probiotics 12 billion in pill form
  • Hair, Skin, and Nails multi

For anti-aging:

• CoQ10 400 mg
  • Active Collagen (these both are so expensive I probably won't continue when I run out)

I have really bad anxiety, stress and some depression so for that I take:

• GABA
  • L-Thanine
  • L-Tyrosine (I think this helps the most)
  • 5-HTP
  • St. John's Wort
  • Lithium Orotate (mineral for bipolarish symptoms)

For hormonal balance, which I'm having a had time with ever since after giving birth a year and a half ago, I take Lorna Vanderhaeghe ESTROsmart. I'm taking THYROsmart, too, but will stop when I run out.

I also take Tumeric in pill form but am going to start drinking it for better bioavailability. To help me sleep I take a couple of Valerian pills and Calms Forte but what really helps is the Traditional Medicine's Nighty Night tea which is really strong herbs. I actually don't dream unless I drink that so it feels like I'm getting a lot more sleep when I'm having long dreams. I drink 2 teabags but I actually steep them for hours before I drink them an hour before bed. This makes it really strong.

It's funny that I never used to take anything, even a multi, and now I take handfuls. Makes me feel like an old person but what ever.

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/31/2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think you need to review the amount of supplements you are taking.

I dont think you should be taking a basic multivitamin and a B multivitamin - just get rid of one of them.

The vitamin A and C and D and E are probably fine (but the E may already be in the multi at a reasonable dose - also are you at risk of concieving - note the high dose vitamin A.

The Omegas look good.

The coq10 may be exacerbating your anxiety if taken too late in the day.

The Zinc 50 is plenty zin unless you do zinc/copper levels and the ratio between them.

Probiotics are good.

Hair skin and nails is probably zinc silicon some B6?? - you dont need this with what you have already mentioned above. ZInc overdose dose cause immune suppression, and you wouldnt know unless you did blood tests or urine collections for zinc.

The GABA is safe, but the combination of the aminoacids precursors of neurotransmitters and the St Johns wart needs professional supervision.

The Lithium orotate is safe at reasonable doses.

Tumeric wont hurt you.

Can you read the active ingredients fo rthe estrosmart and thyrosmart>

Chromium is safe at the dose and duraiton you state above ,and excellent for improving insulin sensitivity if indeed this is at the route of your acne you may find an iprovmenet

I do think that you are risking accidentally hurting yourself with the approach you have taken (Sorry, but I am just being honest). If you are bipolar is it possible you are hypomanic at the moment??? If so it will be difficult to make responsable decisions.

Alot of women who suffer post partum depression and anxiety and copper overloaded.... but again this needs testing.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 03/31/2015 4:05 pm

Thank you for your feedback. How do you know so much about supplements? Why do you think I should stop the B multi? I am vegetarian so I thought this was a good idea. Maybe B12 alone would be better? I've been considering ditching the St. John's Wort.

I figured it was safe to take the multi along with the others because it has incredibly low doses; C 75mg, Zinc 7mg, all the B's 5-10mg, ect. But it has a lot that I don't take seperatley so thats why I do (plus I stocked up).

I'm actually NOT bipolar. I know several people that are so I know I definetly am not. I do have ups and downs but it's never severe or am never manic. The Lithium Orotate is 5mg but I do feel more balance since taking it. I don't have post partum depression either. I have had depression for 20 years and if anything it has gotten a little better since I had my twins.

The Estrosmart is Calcium D-Glucarate 150 mg, Indole-3-Carbinol (plant sourced) 150 mg, Green Tea Extract 100 mg, Turmeric (95% Curcumin) 50 mg, DIM (di-indolyImethane) 50 mg, Rosemary Extract (10:1 from 250 mg of Rosemary) (6% Carnosic Acid) 25 mg, Sulforaphane (from BroccophaneTM broccoli sprout Extract) 200 mcg

I only have a few of the Thyrosmart's left and then won't repurchase. After I had my twins I had just about the worse hormonal imbance ever; crazy hairloss, cystic acne, ect. so I thought that might help.

Thank you for writing.

MemberMember
(@arcfst)

Posted : 03/31/2015 11:48 pm

Rainbow Light Teen Multivitamin

I Have just picked up a ten day supply of this multivitamin after reading great reviews online. I'm currently using the regimen however, I still have some problems with pimples. I'm an active teen (17M) and exercise daily.

The reviews for the multivitamin can be found on primarily Amazon. Many parents and teens said this multivitamin helped clear their complexion and I'm hoping it will do the same for me.

As far as trying it, I'm not concerned because even if it doesn't help my complexion, taking a multivitamin is something that will improve my health overall. If anyone has any experience with these vitamins, please let me know.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/01/2015 2:06 am

Self supplementation is dangerous and you should consult a doctor. Few resources that can help

http://www.acu-cell.com/dis.html

http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/02/11/do-milk-and-sugar-cause-acne/

http://www.amazon.com/Dabur-Chyawanprash-2-2-Pound-Bottles-Pack/dp/B002P3L086

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 04/01/2015 11:07 am

Rainbow Light Teen Multivitamin

I Have just picked up a ten day supply of this multivitamin after reading great reviews online. I'm currently using the regimen however, I still have some problems with pimples. I'm an active teen (17M) and exercise daily.

The reviews for the multivitamin can be found on primarily Amazon. Many parents and teens said this multivitamin helped clear their complexion and I'm hoping it will do the same for me.

As far as trying it, I'm not concerned because even if it doesn't help my complexion, taking a multivitamin is something that will improve my health overall. If anyone has any experience with these vitamins, please let me know.

Thanks

This loos like an amazing vitamin, thank you :) I wonder if they would have it at GNC...

This is all very helpful, thank you! I've decided I will stop taking all of them and for now just take my anxiety supplements and go back to just a single multi. I was actually a lot heathier before I started taking all these vitamins but figured it had to do with my post partum hormonal imbalance but after going through the first link you posted a lot of them are caused by getting too high of vitamins that I am taking.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 04/01/2015 4:30 pm

Ok,... Wow. I've been doing some research on vitamins and it's pretty scary. I read this girl's story about how her B vitamins were causing her acne http://thelovevitamin.com/15994/b-vitamins-acne/ She talked about how some of them were 4,000 times the daily value and how her B-12 was from cyanocobalamin which is a synthetic chemical containing cyanide. Oh my god. So I looked at mine which are Jameison's B-100 complex (has cyanocobalamin) and it has 100mg of each B vitamin, which looking on this vitamin guide http://greatist.com/health/ultimate-guide-vitamins-and-minerals B-12's daily percent value is 2.4 mcg and B-6 dpv 1.3mcg. Crazy! Then I remembered I first started getting acne during the last month of my pregnancy when I got a B vitamin shot. Crap. So I've decided to not take any vitamins for a while. I am only going to take GABA, L-thanine, L-tyrosine, and Tumeric. What a mess...

Okay math. If 1mg = 1000mcg and the recommended daily amound of B-6 is 1.3 mcg and I'm getting 100mg of it in my vitamins, then I'm getting 10,000mcg when the recommended amount is 1.3mcg????? Can someone explain this to me? Am I calulating it wrong or missing something? Why in the world would anyone want B-100 complex?

MemberMember
(@arcfst)

Posted : 04/02/2015 11:13 am

I Agree that taking too many vitamins could cause harm however, I just started this Rainbow Light Teen vitamin. This is the only supplement im currently taking and will continue to take for a couple weeks. I'll keep you updated on how this works!

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 04/02/2015 1:57 pm

I Agree that taking too many vitamins could cause harm however, I just started this Rainbow Light Teen vitamin. This is the only supplement im currently taking and will continue to take for a couple weeks. I'll keep you updated on how this works!

I hope this works out for you! I'm curious to hear if it's any good.

MemberMember
(@cross17)

Posted : 04/03/2015 10:15 am

Get clear !!

I've struggled with persistent cystic acne for 13 years. I am finally crystal clear (I get a small breakout if I stray away from my regimen or eat the wrong things but whatever sometimes you need junk food!) now I'm no expert, but I do know what it's like to cry when you see your face without makeup If this is you, read on!

Now, after visiting the dermatologist many many times, I've had some short-lived success. The only thing that has given me consistent success is changing what I put into my body. Ever feel like you are taking amazing care of your skin and still breaking out? That's because our skin is a direct reflection of our health-acne is a symptom of a bigger problem: lack of nutrition!

Many people have food intolerances and don't know it. So we eat the same things day in and day out and our body tries to eliminate them (via our skin for some people like me and you). Some common triggers: dairy, gluten, processed sugar (me), corn (me). By eliminating corn and corn products-read labels!! And lowering sugar intake while adding whole food nutrition via my diet and juice plus capsules (life saver! Also helped with weight loss for me)...I am totally clear and confident. Check my profile for before/after pictures.

Regimen:

Eliminate corn products in diet

Reduce sugar in diet

Take juice plus capsules

Eat mostly non processed foods

Topical:

Am: wash with cera ve sensitive skin wash

Moisturize with Jergens for face spf 15

Almay clear complexion makeup

Mac bronzing powder

Pm: wash with cera be sensitive skin wash

Moisturize with neutrogena oil free

Treat with acne.org treatment (3 times a week)

I've done the regimen without the diet change. Helped but did not keep the giant, under the skin cysts from forming! Hit me up for any questions you have

Before & after below (both no makeup)post-365915-0-99090600-1428074051_thumb.post-365915-0-48566300-1428074103_thumb.post-365915-0-99090600-1428074051_thumb.post-365915-0-48566300-1428074103_thumb.

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 04/05/2015 12:50 am

Thank you for your feedback. How do you know so much about supplements? Why do you think I should stop the B multi? I am vegetarian so I thought this was a good idea. Maybe B12 alone would be better? I've been considering ditching the St. John's Wort.

I figured it was safe to take the multi along with the others because it has incredibly low doses; C 75mg, Zinc 7mg, all the B's 5-10mg, ect. But it has a lot that I don't take seperatley so thats why I do (plus I stocked up).

I'm actually NOT bipolar. I know several people that are so I know I definetly am not. I do have ups and downs but it's never severe or am never manic. The Lithium Orotate is 5mg but I do feel more balance since taking it. I don't have post partum depression either. I have had depression for 20 years and if anything it has gotten a little better since I had my twins.

The Estrosmart is Calcium D-Glucarate 150 mg, Indole-3-Carbinol (plant sourced) 150 mg, Green Tea Extract 100 mg, Turmeric (95% Curcumin) 50 mg, DIM (di-indolyImethane) 50 mg, Rosemary Extract (10:1 from 250 mg of Rosemary) (6% Carnosic Acid) 25 mg, Sulforaphane (from BroccophaneTM broccoli sprout Extract) 200 mcg

I only have a few of the Thyrosmart's left and then won't repurchase. After I had my twins I had just about the worse hormonal imbance ever; crazy hairloss, cystic acne, ect. so I thought that might help.

Thank you for writing.

You are welcome!

I just read your other post below as well... so I will just say that cutting back on the double supplementation is a good idea.

The estrosmart (with the I3C and DIM etc) sounds very healthy, promoting a healthy estrogen balance and reducing long term risk for oestrogen related toxicity (like breast cancer..).

Ok,... Wow. I've been doing some research on vitamins and it's pretty scary. I read this girl's story about how her B vitamins were causing her acne http://thelovevitamin.com/15994/b-vitamins-acne/ She talked about how some of them were 4,000 times the daily value and how her B-12 was from cyanocobalamin which is a synthetic chemical containing cyanide. Oh my god. So I looked at mine which are Jameison's B-100 complex (has cyanocobalamin) and it has 100mg of each B vitamin, which looking on this vitamin guide http://greatist.com/health/ultimate-guide-vitamins-and-minerals B-12's daily percent value is 2.4 mcg and B-6 dpv 1.3mcg. Crazy! Then I remembered I first started getting acne during the last month of my pregnancy when I got a B vitamin shot. Crap. So I've decided to not take any vitamins for a while. I am only going to take GABA, L-thanine, L-tyrosine, and Tumeric. What a mess...

Okay math. If 1mg = 1000mcg and the recommended daily amound of B-6 is 1.3 mcg and I'm getting 100mg of it in my vitamins, then I'm getting 10,000mcg when the recommended amount is 1.3mcg????? Can someone explain this to me? Am I calulating it wrong or missing something? Why in the world would anyone want B-100 complex?

It is a really confusing topic isn't it..... but lets keep things in perspective.... there is no massive wave of people dying from oversupplementing.

It is an area which is somewhat difficult to navigate as Doctors do not 'believe' in vitamins due to the structure of the evidence base they adhere to (which only really works for studying pharmacotherapy, hence why all they use is pharmacotherapy) and naturopaths often have a financial incentive in prescribing their own 'brands'.

Depending on what country you are in there are organisations of doctors who practice a more holistic medicine - which often involves investigating diet and lifestlye, addressing toxins, supplementation with vitamins, minerals and other natural substances... in addition to medication where necessary. I feel this is the most balanced source of advice at this time. This medicine is sometimes called 'functional medicine', 'nutritional and environmental medicine' 'orthomolecular medicine' depending on where you are located.

I should comment on the cyanocobalamine aswell.. Cyanide in gaseous form is very dangerous. However, appropriately bound to organic molecules it is, infact, a natural microingredient int eh human diet and not to be feared... like apple seeds and some bitter nuts. I would not want anyone to think that the cyanocobalamine per se is dangerous. There are other forms of B12 available though... like methyl B12 and Hydroxy B12 - which can be better for some people.

I agree, but not just any doctor. I see you cited Dr Hyman who is a legend within the Functional Medicine community. That is the kind of doctor you would need to see.

MemberMember
(@arcfst)

Posted : 04/08/2015 12:11 am

Update on teen Rainbow light multivitamins:

Firstly let me say that I am in no way affiliated with the company. That being said, I feel and look a lot better. I've been using the vitamin for 6 days and my skin has shown a huge improvement. That being said, I do not believe the vitamins illuminate breakouts but rather reduce them. I have been using these vitamins a long with the regimen (acne.org) morning and night. The vitamins recommend that you take 1-3 daily, I do take 3 daily. I have prom this weekend and am very excited to not have to worry about the pimples on my cheeks and chin.

I would recommend buying this product off of amazon because of the price and amazon prime is an option for those who pay. Give it a try, it's a gluten free vitamin made from food. It also increased by energy levels and mood. I feel more motivated to get work done and get up in the morning.

Please do yourself a favor and try them!