Notifications
Clear all

Do I Need A Prescription For 1-5% Benzol Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 03/27/2015 12:02 pm

My doctor prescribed 1-5% BP for a cyst on my neck. I went to the pharmacy to find out that I had to pay $320 for it so I'm holding off on it.

My question is, do you even need a prescription for 1-5% BP? I see 10% BP being sold on Amazon for $12. Why would I need a prescription? I'm in the USA

edit: Meant to post this in the prescription section

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/27/2015 12:20 pm

Wow, that's just nuts!! Don't pay it!!! And no, you don't need a script for BP, you can get 2.5% BP right here on this website, no script needed! I've had luck treating mild cysts with 10% glycolic acid (AHA), also an OTC product. Depending on the severity of the cyst and how badly you're in need of relief, your derm could also give it a cortisone shot to bring down the swelling.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 03/27/2015 12:26 pm

Is it normal for doctors to prescribe something that is available over the counter? I'm pretty shocked that the prescription version is $320

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/27/2015 12:42 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure about that, I only went to a derm once for acne and that was many years ago. I'm just as shocked as you are. Imagine paying $320 for something you can get for under $20...what a rip-off!!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/27/2015 12:58 pm

Is it normal for doctors to prescribe something that is available over the counter? I'm pretty shocked that the prescription version is $320

Hi - are you sure the script was for a medication that was *just* bp? Could it have contained an antibiotic perhaps?

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 03/27/2015 1:07 pm

Hi - are you sure the script was for a medication that was *just* bp? Could it have contained an antibiotic perhaps?

Not sure as the prescription was sent to the pharmacy electronically. I'll try to obtain a copy later. The doctor never mentioned antibiotics during my visit though.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/27/2015 1:23 pm

Oh, ok. 320 is too much to pay for a topical treatment anyway - I was just thinking maybe it's a brand name for something you could get a generic for. I just don't see how a prescription topical could be only 5% BP - that's not something you need a prescription for in the states as far as I know. There are alot of brand name topicals that contain BP mixed with some other active ingredient though, like Acanya or Benzaclin (both BP and a topical antibiotic).

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 03/27/2015 2:26 pm

got my prescription and its for Clindamycin Phos-Benzol Peroxide 1-5%. It seems to be BP + antibiotics. Ill just order some OTC BP.

DeLovely liked