Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane Uk Nhs Questions

MemberMember
(@emma1220)

Posted : 03/26/2015 7:35 pm

Hello!

So I am a 20 yr old female that has had acne for 7-8 years, its is fairly bad and is cystic. I FINALLY managed to get a referral to a dermatologist from my GP and booked an appointment for the 18th of June.. I am pretty upset that I have to wait that long as I really just want to clear my skin up already! So my question is how long does it take to get roaccutane once you see the derm? Do you get the prescription that day or do you have to have another appointment?

Many thanks!!

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 03/27/2015 5:17 am

Hey!

My experience may be slightly different as I went to a private dermatologist first and then moved to NHS from there, but could give you an idea! My derm agreed to prescribe me roaccutane on the first appointment with her. However she also worked for a NHS surgery and so to save me money from doing the whole course private, she made me another appointment with her for the following week, but with the NHS. At this second appointment, I had all my blood and pregnancy tests done, and got the prescription straight away to collect from the pharmacy.

So it took me about a week from seeing the derm for the first time and receiving the actual medication. But I guess it depends on how helpful and willing the doctor is that you see. You will likely have to have at least one more appointment to get all your tests done before they give you the prescription. I was just lucky that my derm booked me in again so quickly. Hopefully it will be the same for you!

MemberMember
(@emma1220)

Posted : 03/30/2015 4:56 pm

Hey!

My experience may be slightly different as I went to a private dermatologist first and then moved to NHS from there, but could give you an idea! My derm agreed to prescribe me roaccutane on the first appointment with her. However she also worked for a NHS surgery and so to save me money from doing the whole course private, she made me another appointment with her for the following week, but with the NHS. At this second appointment, I had all my blood and pregnancy tests done, and got the prescription straight away to collect from the pharmacy.

So it took me about a week from seeing the derm for the first time and receiving the actual medication. But I guess it depends on how helpful and willing the doctor is that you see. You will likely have to have at least one more appointment to get all your tests done before they give you the prescription. I was just lucky that my derm booked me in again so quickly. Hopefully it will be the same for you!

Thank you! I actually got a call from my hospital the other day saying my appointment had been moved up from June to tomorrow morning, result!!!! So happy I can see a derm much sooner! Of course now my skin has decided to be super clear and then will probably break out the day after my appointment.. typical. Hopefully the doctor will still put me on it

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 03/31/2015 6:57 am

Ahh my skin used to always do that before appointments, annoying!

That's great about your appointment though! Good luck, really hope it works for you :)

MemberMember
(@emma1220)

Posted : 03/31/2015 9:11 am

Thank you! Just got back from my appointment, the derm was hesitant at first but then agreed that I should be on it, hooray! I am being started on 25mg for the first month and then will be moved up to 50mg after that. I now have to trot off and get the blood tests while I wait to get another appointment at the hospital to get the prescription, hopefully it won't take too long.

MemberMember
(@madmanx)

Posted : 04/01/2015 7:34 pm

When u get your prescription ask your derm if they can prescibe u the proper roaccutane brand and not the generic ranbaxy brand, trust me its rubbish and a pain in the butt to get the capsules out.