Notifications
Clear all

Sprintec/ortho Cyclen-- Do All Bc Pills Cause Initial Breakout?

MemberMember
(@tnorm)

Posted : 03/24/2015 9:39 am

HEY GUYS!

So im starting sprintec (generic ortho cyclen --- note: NOT TRI CYCLEN) next month. I'm so excited that this might be my savior and get rid of my mild to moderate teenage acne but I am terrified of the initial breakout. My gyno said "it's not proven" that bc pills cause a breakout but I was still unsure because of all the scary reviews I've read. So ladies, have you or anyone else gotten beautiful skin via sprintec, ortho cyclen, or any birth control for that matter without going through the horrid "purging" and breakouts? Also, not sure if my acne is "hormonal".. Sometimes I get cysts on my chin but never my jaw or outer cheeks. It's more in the t zone. My gyno said birth control will help my acne even though it Isnt NECESSARLY typical hormonal acne because of the low androgen properties. So please please share your stories! How long did it take to clear? Also im on Epiduo (this is my 3rd week). THANK YOU SO MUCH GIRLS I REALLY APPRECIATE IT((-:

MemberMember
(@sunlove3)

Posted : 04/09/2015 10:12 pm

Hi Tnorm, I am in the same boat as you. Just started Ortho-cyclen generic(Mononessa) and am wondering what other people's reactions were. Many people say to only get the name brand but for me this one was free and I am trying to eliminate all the money I spend on supplements to control my hormones/breakouts. A co-worker of mine was pretty much clear by the end of the first month on ortho-cyclen and had no side effects at all, so that is re-assuring! Another friend of mine has been on it a couple months and it completely cleared her skin and she had PCOS symptoms and not so great skin...it is perfect now and not oily at all.

I don't really get cystic pimples, except for when I was using progesterone oil in my luteal phase I would maybe get one or two by my mouth. It's only been 4 days on this BCP for me and already I got a jawline pimple(deep) which I never ever get:( Also, my chest looks broken out and is itchy. And it made my horrible cramps a million times worse. So far I personally hate it, but am really trying to stick with it to see if it can help with minimally painful periods and better skin. I mainly struggle with oily, congested pores in t-zone and comedonal acne. It is rare for one day to go by and have perfect skin.....I want that everyday! Good luck and keep me posted and I will post on my progress as well. Also I should say, I do regular facials for myself and use topicals which is HUGE for keeping the skin cleared out. Diet matters too...no sugar, avoid dairy(my weakness), no gluten, more greens and everything organic.

MemberMember
(@sunlove3)

Posted : 04/09/2015 10:18 pm

Ooops sorry, just saw you use a topical already. That one is pretty intense and will help but nothing really helps the cystic ones besides steaming them or hot compresses to dissolve them. I still think it is good to gently exfoliate the dead skin cells that products like epiduo create. I use retin-A and definitely have to exfoliate off all the dead skin.

Tnorm liked
MemberMember
(@tnorm)

Posted : 04/12/2015 7:42 pm

Ooops sorry, just saw you use a topical already. That one is pretty intense and will help but nothing really helps the cystic ones besides steaming them or hot compresses to dissolve them. I still think it is good to gently exfoliate the dead skin cells that products like epiduo create. I use retin-A and definitely have to exfoliate off all the dead skin.

Hey!!! Wow I'm glad to hear your friends had great results! I start it within the next week and I have mixed emotions.... How is yours going now?

MemberMember
(@sunlove3)

Posted : 04/13/2015 8:17 pm

Hi Tnorm, well it's almost been one week for me, woohoo! Since I started on my period, I had possibly the worst cramps I have ever had! They are always bad, one reason I started it in the first place, but wow was it absolutely terrible! I used tons of ibuprofen to no avail, it was crazy. Besides that I feel that my circulation has been slow and I've been feeling heavy, maybe holding some water weight. My skin is actually doing good, less oily for sure, not getting any new clogging! I had some weird red, mild cystic like spots the first few days and am still recovering, but so far it is just getting better. I will update on the acne part of it once more time goes by. I must say though, I've had this annoying rash on my chest, which is very rare for me, and also have been itchy and getting hives very easily, which does tend to happen to me anyway. So, it does seem to worsen my allergic response to....something....maybe I am allergic to the hormones. Uhg. Otherwise I am interested to see if I can stick with this, if it will ever reduce my cramps and keep my skin clear.

MemberMember
(@tnorm)

Posted : 04/14/2015 9:39 am

Hi Tnorm, well it's almost been one week for me, woohoo! Since I started on my period, I had possibly the worst cramps I have ever had! They are always bad, one reason I started it in the first place, but wow was it absolutely terrible! I used tons of ibuprofen to no avail, it was crazy. Besides that I feel that my circulation has been slow and I've been feeling heavy, maybe holding some water weight. My skin is actually doing good, less oily for sure, not getting any new clogging! I had some weird red, mild cystic like spots the first few days and am still recovering, but so far it is just getting better. I will update on the acne part of it once more time goes by. I must say though, I've had this annoying rash on my chest, which is very rare for me, and also have been itchy and getting hives very easily, which does tend to happen to me anyway. So, it does seem to worsen my allergic response to....something....maybe I am allergic to the hormones. Uhg. Otherwise I am interested to see if I can stick with this, if it will ever reduce my cramps and keep my skin clear.

Gotta take the good with the bad it sounds like!!! Wow good news on your skin though, so no nasty initial breakout yet? I'm on it almost solely for my acne so that's my number one concern.. I'm starting any day now( just waiting on my period). If you remember, you should update me every couple weeks or so and I can do the same for you! Thanks for your replies and good luck ((:

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 04/14/2015 10:11 am

When I switched from Aubra (the generic levonogestern/ethinyl estradiol pill from hell, no thanks, planned parenthood) to Yaz, I did NOT experience an initial breakout. This may have been on account of already using a benzoyl peroxide wash (Panoxyl) and starting a dermatologist-prescribed regimen of clindamycin and differin. If there was an IB, it was minimized by these topicals.

Also, the first time I went on birth control, it was Junel Fe and I also didn't have an initial breakout, my skin just got clearer.

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 04/14/2015 6:46 pm

Hi!! When I got on Ortho-lo, I had an initial breakout, but it wasn't bad. I have cystic acne every day (not just during my period) that are on my cheeks and chin. My forehead is ALWAYS clear. However, when I got on ortho-lo, my forehead broke out and I have zits where I normally don't get them. The initial breakout cleared quickly. Ortho Lo wasn't working after four months so I switched to Ortho-Tri-Cylcen regular and the same thing happened :) I am two months in and my cystic acne is unfortunately no better, but my periods are alot less painful, so there's the plus!

MemberMember
(@tnorm)

Posted : 04/14/2015 7:06 pm

When I switched from Aubra (the generic levonogestern/ethinyl estradiol pill from hell, no thanks, planned parenthood) to Yaz, I did NOT experience an initial breakout. This may have been on account of already using a benzoyl peroxide wash (Panoxyl) and starting a dermatologist-prescribed regimen of clindamycin and differin. If there was an IB, it was minimized by these topicals.

Also, the first time I went on birth control, it was Junel Fe and I also didn't have an initial breakout, my skin just got clearer.

What are you on now? Yaz? How long did Junel Fe take to clear you or at least start to clear? Thanks for the reply((:

MemberMember
(@tnorm)

Posted : 04/14/2015 8:29 pm

Hi!! When I got on Ortho-lo, I had an initial breakout, but it wasn't bad. I have cystic acne every day (not just during my period) that are on my cheeks and chin. My forehead is ALWAYS clear. However, when I got on ortho-lo, my forehead broke out and I have zits where I normally don't get them. The initial breakout cleared quickly. Ortho Lo wasn't working after four months so I switched to Ortho-Tri-Cylcen regular and the same thing happened :) I am two months in and my cystic acne is unfortunately no better, but my periods are alot less painful, so there's the plus!

Aw I'm sorry you haven't had great success!! Do you have hormonal acne? And I'm confused are you 2 months in or 4 months in to the OTC? Also I read that lo isn't even good for acne so I was surprised you took that!

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 04/16/2015 12:03 pm

What are you on now? Yaz? How long did Junel Fe take to clear you or at least start to clear? Thanks for the reply((:

I am on Yaz right now. I should switch to the generic because my insurance will not cover Yaz and I am therefore paying full price, but I am scared that I will experience negative side effects from a lower-quality, non-patented filler/binder, even if the hormones are the same.

Junel I went on more so for my painful periods and birth control purposes but at the time I went on it, I did have acne for the first time in my life (I was 20). In the months leading up to me deciding to go on birth control, it was just starting to appear, so it wasn't nearly that bad, and only bothered me a little. I don't really remember exactly how long it took for my skin to look better, but I think the change was pretty quick. There wasn't any adjustment period at all.

I stopped having deep painful inflamed cysts, although I think I still broke out a bit. I wasn't using any topical products though, or much of anything! I felt pretty good on Junel, physically and emotionally. Switched to Microgestin (the generic) and starting having hair fall, more acne, more spotting. Gross...

Then I stopped when my prescription ran out because I wanted to try life without birth control. Spent about two years with steadily worse skin, and now I am back on the pill. Yep.

MemberMember
(@accutrain)

Posted : 01/19/2016 10:02 pm

Started ortho-cyclen three months and four days ago. Horrible initial breakout on my cheeks and temples. Still waiting for it to go away. Going to the derm in a week for accutane.