Notifications
Clear all

Sun Sensitivity - How Much Exactly?

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 03/21/2015 4:36 am

Hey there,

I decided I can handle taking Accutane during summer so I started it one week ago. So I'll be taking it from March until September.

I knew that I have to be very careful with the sun, and that I can't go to the beach, or tan, or stay in the sun midday in summer, always wear sunscreen, hats, etc.

Yesterday though something really weird happened. I was outside from 10 to 12AM, wearing SPF50 on my face. It was cloudy, and for god's sake - it's March! It was snowing even last night! So when I got home my face looked like I had stayed all day in the sun, it was red. It didn't hurt, and it wasn't badly burned or something, but how did it got red when it was cloudy on the outside?

Could it be really that bad the sun sensitivity?

Also, yesterday around that time there was sun eclipse, so half the sun was covered from the moon. Could that play some part?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/21/2015 11:51 am

I don't know about the eclipse playing a part, although I have a vague memory reading something that says that UV Can be intensified during certain stages of the eclipse (I may be completely making that up though). I do know, however, that when I was on accutane I would wear SPF 50 religiously and I would still get burnt on a cloudy day if I wasn't under shade for more than a couple hours. Next time you might be outside, wear your SPF but try to stay in the shade. If that's not an option, wear a hat, and re-apply sun cream regularly (alternatively you can wear makeup with SPF on top of your sun cream and reapply that).

MemberMember
(@larosa)

Posted : 03/21/2015 5:12 pm

Hey there,

I decided I can handle taking Accutane during summer so I started it one week ago. So I'll be taking it from March until September.

I knew that I have to be very careful with the sun, and that I can't go to the beach, or tan, or stay in the sun midday in summer, always wear sunscreen, hats, etc.

Yesterday though something really weird happened. I was outside from 10 to 12AM, wearing SPF50 on my face. It was cloudy, and for god's sake - it's March! It was snowing even last night! So when I got home my face looked like I had stayed all day in the sun, it was red. It didn't hurt, and it wasn't badly burned or something, but how did it got red when it was cloudy on the outside?

Could it be really that bad the sun sensitivity?

Also, yesterday around that time there was sun eclipse, so half the sun was covered from the moon. Could that play some part?

I got super redness today and also felt a little faint walking around in the sun for just ten minutes, so I drank a litre of water! I'm not on high-dose accutane, but i think sun sensitivity is a norm. My hairline also burned a little.

My Avene sunscreen tends to clog my pores- any good references for a decent non-comodegenic sunscreen?