Notifications
Clear all

Problem. I Know What Breaks Me Out.... But Can't Fix It For Long!

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 03/20/2015 2:00 am

Adult acne is awful.

I think I found my main trigger: Water.

3 rounds of Accutane and countless topical/oral antibiotics or harsh creams/soaps have impacted my facial skin barrier.

I do not have breakouts anywhere else than on the areas I treated and still am treating harshly (facial cheeks).

Now when I stop putting water on my face, and use soothing creams morning and night, breakouts immediately stop and subside.

Last time, I was able to achieve clearer skin in just about a week by not using any water at all, and by using a great soothing cream in the am and pm.

That said.... You probably know what is coming.... At some point, 2 weeks or so, my pores get clogged....

Probably the accumulation of cream on my face, as it does not get absorbed.

And reaction is..... YES! another breakout!

The only thing that stops my breakouts and gives me good skin actually leads to more breakouts!

Any advice?

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 03/20/2015 7:59 am

Maybe try a cream cleanser, and remove with a tissue instead of water? Or you could use evian facial mist, its purified water in a can you could use this to cleanse with a cream cleanser, its much more gentle than water. I don't use anything that foams on my face, just a cream cleanser and then damped my hands to remove the extra and tissue dry, it has made a big difference to my skin.

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 03/20/2015 9:33 am

I was thinking the same thing as gkitten 25, try purified water :) I remember reading or seeing something a long time ago about how Gwyneth Paltrow used Evian water facial sprays, seems like a great idea if you are having issues with the tap water! Good luck and congrats on finding what works well for you!!

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 03/20/2015 6:33 pm

I use albolene cleanser and tissue off. That's all I do now and I don't have active acne anymore. My skin was always insanely oily, irritated, and severely acne prone when I used cleansers/creams and water. It's probably not for everyone and I had to get use to it though.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 03/20/2015 10:34 pm

Thanks everybody!

Will stop using foam then.

Clearly my skin is irritated and angry at the moment.

It needs a break from all the products.

How do you use the tissue to wipe off cleanser/lotion though?

Do you take a tissue, but some water on and wipe the face off?

Or do you use them without any water on it?

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 03/21/2015 10:21 am

I tissue off without water. Albolene is designed to "liquefy" on your skin so you don't use water with it. A cotton pad might be gentler on the skin but I just use tissues. It has the same consistency as petroleum jelly. It makes my skin super soft and I don't get oily anymore :) the only other thing I do to my face is if I think I might get a pimple, i put a slice of potato on it and dry it out. Oddly works like a charm lol.

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 03/23/2015 5:13 am

Like Kay24 said, some cleansers turn to a watery consistency and then you can wipe off with a towel. I usually work my cream cleanser all over my face then dampen my hands with some water (tap or spray) and pat them on my face to dampen then wipe off the residue with a tissue. I try to keep rinsing my face with water to a minimum. Steam from a bath or hot shower can also dry your skin out so another good tip is to cleanse before you go for a shower or bath and apply a good layer of moisturiser ( I use olay or e45) before you go in, that way your skin will hold on to its own moisture but also the moisture in the air from the steam, I like to use a good hyaluronic acid serum as well when I go for a bath as it holds something like 1000 times it weight in water so it will absorb any moisture in the air and a nice steamy bath or shower is the perfect opportunity for it. I just pop it on on its own or underneath my moisturiser. Would still say use a good mask or topical even just a couple of times a week to try and combat any breakouts still cropping up.

Good luck, my skin was in the same boat about two years ago, dry, irritated, inflamed, oily, you name it. Dropping back on the harsh face washes and keeping my skin well moisturised really helped along with birth control and differin gel, it's about finding what works for you :)