Notifications
Clear all

Soy Milk- Major Breakout ?!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 03/19/2015 9:40 am

Recently tried to start eating better, and started making healthy pancakes with soya milk in the mornings. Had these for 3 mornings in a row and at the end of these i broke out awfully- could it be from the soya milk?!

I was so shocked and confused as to what was happening- has anyone else had any severe acne breakouts as a result of soya milk?!

I haven't had it in a week and my skin is still slowly but surely clearing

Any replies would be greatly appreciated ! :)

MemberMember
(@kutenaigirl)

Posted : 03/19/2015 10:55 am

Hi sksk.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with breakouts. Despite what many think, soy milk is not a health food. Most soy milk is actually made from the industrial sludge left over from soybean oil processing.

Additionally, soy is one of the highest foods in isoflavones which are considered phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens act like estrogen in the body and can compete for estrogen receptor sites and throw off your delicate hormone balance. Hormone imbalance is a very common underlying cause of acne breakouts.

So while it is impossible to know for sure whether the soy milk is what caused the breakout is possible, the link is definitely there.

My advice is to stop drinking soy milk. If you are looking for a milk alternative try unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk. Good luck!

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

K

Melloman and Kay24 liked
MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 03/19/2015 2:33 pm

Soy's bad for the digestive system too. I'd avoid all soy products.

I agree that almond and coconut are definitely the best milk alternatives. I tried cashew milk recently not realizing it's a high histamine food and can cause inflammation. So soy and cashew milk can be triggers for acne sufferers.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 03/21/2015 10:04 am

Hi sksk.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with breakouts. Despite what many think, soy milk is not a health food. Most soy milk is actually made from the industrial sludge left over from soybean oil processing.

Additionally, soy is one of the highest foods in isoflavones which are considered phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens act like estrogen in the body and can compete for estrogen receptor sites and throw off your delicate hormone balance. Hormone imbalance is a very common underlying cause of acne breakouts.

So while it is impossible to know for sure whether the soy milk is what caused the breakout is possible, the link is definitely there.

My advice is to stop drinking soy milk. If you are looking for a milk alternative try unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk. Good luck!

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

K

Yes ! Will definitely stop drinking that then. My breakouts are always hormonal so that makes sense now. Haven't had any in a week or so and skin is much better now :)

Thanks so so much for your great, detailed advice! x

Soy's bad for the digestive system too. I'd avoid all soy products.

I agree that almond and coconut are definitely the best milk alternatives. I tried cashew milk recently not realizing it's a high histamine food and can cause inflammation. So soy and cashew milk can be triggers for acne sufferers.

Oh okay- awesome! Unfourtunately i'm allergic to nuts, so i'll be steering clear from all milk alternatives lol.

Thanks so so much for your advice! X

MemberMember
(@kutenaigirl)

Posted : 03/31/2015 11:38 am

So glad I could help sksk!