Notifications
Clear all

Started Accutane On 15Th March '15, 19Yrs. Girl + Pictures Of Progress

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 03/19/2015 3:26 am

Hey there, fellow Accutane users!

It's nice to 'meet you' :) My name is Kristina and I'm starting this log to keep track of my progress and eventually get some support when things get tough (I hope not, though).

I'm 19 and I've had acne since I was around 12 years old. Everyone said it would pass with time, but unfortunatelly, as often happens, it does not. Mine just started getting worse. To a point that affects my social life and my daily routine includes meeting a lot of people. And I am sick of being asked "Oh my god, what happened to your face???"

Basically a few months ago some alien cysts developed on both sides of my cheeks that have been there eversince, which is 4 months and a half now. And show NO intention to go! I tried antibiotics, diets, my derm tried to pop them with neddles.... but no.

I am not sure how they got there anyway? My theories are that 1st I tried to pop one pimple that instead of popping outside the skin... well it did inside. I know... I shouldn't have. 2nd - I was having a really tough period in my life and I think that might have helped too.

Do you think these will go away? How? When?

So in the end I had two options to not look like Davy Johnes - either surgery or Accutane. I was well aware of the side effects and at first was afraid to try it but everything was going on for too long. While researching for it on the internet I saw a lot of really severe cases that just made me think: I might get like this as well if I don't take precautions!

So here I am. I started taking it on 15th of March and will probably take it until mid September. I am on 40mg. a day. I weight 58kg. So far, it's been 4 days, I don't see any side effects. I think only my mouth dries faster and I drink more water, but nothing else.

Did I miss something? Oh yes, the pictures :D

Here is me on Day 1:

post-457580-0-65403300-1426753312.jpg

post-457580-0-38801900-1426753322.jpg

post-457580-0-88215000-1426753330.jpg

MemberMember
(@charlottejk)

Posted : 03/19/2015 8:34 am

Hey Kristina! I'm on 7th day of accutane. I FEEL YOU! and people always say to me, "You have so many pimples". As if I don't know. I'm having IB now and it's so frustrating. I hope my IB doesn't get any worse. Good luck to you!

Kristi96 liked
MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 03/19/2015 12:16 pm

good luck on your journey, it is a miracle drug for most, so very likely it will work miracles for you

did you talk to your derm about kenalog injections? I get monster cysts and it's the only thing that helps shrink them

then you at least have things flat and you can cover the marks with makeup

but I'd press the derm on that, those cysts need to be injected to at least give you some relief as you start out

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 03/19/2015 3:24 pm

Thank you both :)

Charlotte, I wish you it don't get any worse! Do you have any side effects yet?

mrsrobinson, if you are talking about some sort of cortisone shots, I did ask about that but the problem actually was that in my country there weren't available from the type used for the face. So she said she wouldn't risk it with something that otherwise goes to the body... And it's not like a live in the desert!

P.S. Charlotte, believe me ot not, I am wishing to get the IB right now! It's just that in the end of next month I am going to have a very, very important event, that I could say - have been waiting for it for year and a half! Not that I expect to heal until then, but to be at least... a little better than my worst nightmares!!!

Ok, ok, I am actually hoping to never get the IB on first place...

MemberMember
(@charlottejk)

Posted : 03/19/2015 8:12 pm

I had dry flaky skin the first few days but now my face becomes oily again. So far no other side effects yet. I do get depressed but I think it's because of my acne, not accutane. The first few days I fell asleep within half an hour after taking accutane. What about you?

Arghh I feel you. I don't want to have IB but I'm not the lucky one. On the bright side, the faster you get an IB, the faster you get over it. Just stay strong! My face is already full of acne and the IB makes it worse. So I'm quite depressed at the moment,

Thank you both :)

Charlotte, I wish you it don't get any worse! Do you have any side effects yet?

mrsrobinson, if you are talking about some sort of cortisone shots, I did ask about that but the problem actually was that in my country there weren't available from the type used for the face. So she said she wouldn't risk it with something that otherwise goes to the body... And it's not like a live in the desert!

P.S. Charlotte, believe me ot not, I am wishing to get the IB right now! It's just that in the end of next month I am going to have a very, very important event, that I could say - have been waiting for it for year and a half! Not that I expect to heal until then, but to be at least... a little better than my worst nightmares!!!

Ok, ok, I am actually hoping to never get the IB on first place...

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 03/22/2015 11:05 am

Day 6

Everything seems to go normal. My skin got dry and flakey and my lips dry as well, but with constant reapplication of Vaseline they don't bleed or hurt. And the other day I got a little red after being on the outside. Other than that I am just fine.

I have a question though. When should I expect these cysts (or whatever creatures from hell they are) to go away? As I mentioned before, they have been on my face for the last 4 months and they don't show any sign of going. They hurt, look awful... and that is enough. The day they are gone is going to be one of the best days of my life, for real! So any ideas when should I expect improvement? Also I just wonder - are they going to shrink or come to a head? I know it sounds nasty talking about these things, but it is an acne forum after all

MemberMember
(@charlottejk)

Posted : 03/30/2015 5:49 am

Heyyy kristi how's your progress? I'm on day 18 and my face is still breaking out like crazy.

Day 6

Everything seems to go normal. My skin got dry and flakey and my lips dry as well, but with constant reapplication of Vaseline they don't bleed or hurt. And the other day I got a little red after being on the outside. Other than that I am just fine.

I have a question though. When should I expect these cysts (or whatever creatures from hell they are) to go away? As I mentioned before, they have been on my face for the last 4 months and they don't show any sign of going. They hurt, look awful... and that is enough. The day they are gone is going to be one of the best days of my life, for real! So any ideas when should I expect improvement? Also I just wonder - are they going to shrink or come to a head? I know it sounds nasty talking about these things, but it is an acne forum after all

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 03/30/2015 6:06 am

Hey,

So Day 14th

There is a little improvement on one of the bumps on my face it is almost flat and doesn't hurt anymore, for which I am really happy! I breakout, but nothing crazy so far, just as usual. The skin on my face peels sometimes, but it is not too dry. It is also really soft and I like that :D Like baby's skin.

My lips are dry, but when I put non-stop lip balm and vaseline it is very manageable and don't bleed or crack.

The other day when I was working out I got this pain in my chest, like the bones were tightening and it was a little uncomfortable, but didn't hurt that much. After a day or two the pain was gone... Now it's turn for lower back pain

I am not posting pictures because there is just not any significent difference, so I'll spare you the horror of my face :D

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 04/11/2015 2:59 am

Day 27

Wow, in 4 days, month 1 will be over. So far things have been going good, no scaary severe side effects. Besides the dryness, I got only some backache but the only time I feel it is when I go to bed and it goes away in few minutes. Around week two I also felt some pain in the chest, as if the bones were tightening and it hurted if I was working out or breathing heavily, but it went away in two or three days.

My skin has some improvement, it is very soft and dry. I still break out though, so not yet any grand results. Maybe when I am finished with month 1 I will show you photos of progress.

I just want to share with you two products I've been using on my lips, that are simply amazing. I found them recommended here on the website and I can say that you will not complain about dry lips on Accutane if you use them regulary! I can't compare this to Aquaphor you are all obsessed with, because it is not available where I live, but you won't regret giving it a try. So...

1. Blistex Lip Relief

6343_buyuk.jpg Works awsome for cracked lips, or just after exfoliating! Really great healing power.

2. Blistex MedPlus

Blistex-MedPlus1.jpg This is probably my favourite. It is something like Vaseline, but better. It has this cooling effect that I am just dying for when my lips are dry. I don't know if you can relate, but when my lips are dry and covered with dead skin, whatever balm or vaseline I put, I just feel like I want to peel off my entire lips and feel like biting them all the time. Does that make sense? Well, this MedPlus really helps with that. It has this minty fresh flavour that relieves the irritation and makes your lips soft like a baby. Give it a try!!!

MemberMember
(@positivepositivepositive)

Posted : 04/11/2015 8:50 am

Best wishes to you Kristi, may you be soon clear as it would.

I believe that those cysts should be no different than other normal pimple, just that they combined together to grow.

Which looked more bigger and jammed, not that easy to push out the stuff inside the pores like the small ones.

But bringing every pores back to normal is what Accutane supposed to do, don't worry, patience is the key. : )

After all the whole treatment last about 5 months.

Keep us updated! I'm following!

MemberMember
(@jessa48)

Posted : 04/11/2015 8:47 pm

Kristi, do you have any other options for a dermatologist? Or is it possible for your derm to dilute cortisone? The formulation of what's used in injections is much much weaker than the formulation used in joints and I soooo wish that you could get some more immediate relief! Prednisone has also been used in combo w/Isotretinoin to help reduce inflammation.

I'll be following your journey - you are about two weeks ahead of me!

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 04/12/2015 7:01 am

Thank you guys :)

Jessa, I really don't know, I don't get this medical stuff much. I will talk to her next time I go for a visit. This is a good idea though, to ask someone else as well. I might do it, thank you :)

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 04/19/2015 10:15 am

Hey pals,

I am a little late, but here are the progress photos as I promised. You can see above are the shots from day 1, as on the bottom - photos I took today on 1 month and 4 days

I still breakout as you can see and I sometimes I do mess with it a little I think overall looks more smooth and even, despite the breakouts.

post-457580-0-95921700-1429456409.jpg

post-457580-0-33697400-1429456414.jpg

post-457580-0-55864700-1429456417.jpg

I am really happy with my forehead! I never got that much blemishes there, but even the small ones are gone and the nasty shine is gone as well.

post-457580-0-63874100-1429456780.jpg

P.S. Ok why is this crappy quality of the photos? The website automatically reduced them to 20KB from 200KB, why was that?

MemberMember
(@tiredbuthopeful)

Posted : 04/23/2015 7:41 pm

Fantastic progress Kristi96! Hang on in there! :)

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 04/24/2015 2:28 pm

Hey! Definite improvement so far...I'm actually amazed at how you can have acne but no redness! You're skin is literally going to be flawless at the end of Acctune because I can see you have fantastic underlying skin. All the best.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/24/2015 6:42 pm

So far so good!

congrats!!

kim

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 05/24/2015 4:44 am

Hey guys! It's been 2 months and 9 days since the begining of my treatment! It goes so fast!

It seriously doesnt affect my life as much as I expected. Besides that I have to remember to take it twice a day and put sunscreen and lipbalm on... No aches anymore, no weird side effects. Only a little of bloody nose, but it is really just a bit, goes away in a minute. My blood tests are fine, and my skin has great improvement. I am posting pictures from the day I made 2 months, but since then it has improved quite a bit! I am very happy. Not that I don't have breakouts, new cysts sometimes, but it is a whole different story than it was before.

And actually I never had some radicilous initial breakout. At some point I was breaking out more, but still couldn't compare to the time prior to the medication so I didnt care

Here I am, month 2:

post-457580-0-31856400-1432460555.jpg

post-457580-0-10712800-1432460583.jpg

post-457580-0-81835700-1432460601.jpg

post-457580-0-78342900-1432460621.jpg

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 06/06/2015 11:49 pm

Hey!

Just wishing you a happy and easy journey :)

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 06/22/2015 9:37 am

Heey guys,

I am now 3 months and 7 days into the journey. I am doing great, not much side effects. With proper sunscreen I even stay in the sun sometimes, when I have to go out and I didn't burn so far. I just get red, but after a few hours it dissapears. I try to wear a wide brimmed hat on my head at least. I have energy as normal, even workout more than before :D But I don't think it's related to the medicine.

I didn't have new whiteheads for a few weeks, until last week, but now I am clear from them again. In the begining I used to get a few new ones every day, but now they are really rare. I get mostly new bumps here and there, but no more white or blackheads.

I am posting pictures, I would love to hear your opinion on how am I doing :)

Day 93

post-457580-0-51853500-1434983752.jpg

post-457580-0-25185600-1434983773.jpg

post-457580-0-58081400-1434983830.jpg

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/22/2015 11:05 am

You can really see the improvement! Amazing.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 06/22/2015 4:25 pm

Looking Great!! Huge improvement!! So happy for you!

MemberMember
(@buddyguy1)

Posted : 06/22/2015 7:59 pm

I just started clavaris 4 days ago 40 mg... 5th day today... No flakey skin yet just a little dry.. Not much dry lips... Maybe i little IB but i had it before too..

What should i expect! Im going to italy to meet a girl in 3.5 months.. I hope i have some improvment and dont break out right before i get on the plane..

MemberMember
(@jaimieb94)

Posted : 06/25/2015 9:08 pm

Your progress is amazing!! Your forehead is absolutely FLAWLESS! I'm sure that the rest of your face is going to take after that forehead! Your skin looks like it's glowing- it looks really healthy and it looks like your cysts are just in the process of healing! Keep it up, you're doing awesome!!

MemberMember
(@kristi96)

Posted : 06/26/2015 5:08 am

Thanks to all of you :))

Jamie, my skin is literally glowing cause it's like.... like it is too shiny, although there is absolutely no oil. And when I put on the sunscreen it gets terrible.... so it is not such a good thing, but yes there is improvement which is more important :)

Buddyguy, by the 3rd month everything should start to come in place, I think, but who knows! With everyone it is different. I hope it works well for you :) Worrying too much won't help you in anyway, so just keep going.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/15/2015 8:35 am

You are such a beautiful woman even with acne, your eyes and face shape are lovely. By the end of this you're gonna be smokin ;)