Notifications
Clear all

Zinc Oxide...is It The Cure? (Experiment)

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 03/18/2015 8:57 pm

Hey everyone.

I'll be quick about it.

I recently discovered that 'zinc oxide' can be the stand-alone acne cure for some people. (Seems like most actually). These people use baby diaper rash creams and sunscreens with a zinc oxide percentage of 5 to 40 percent. I have been intrigued to try zinc oxide related products. Note, zinc oxide is recommended for oily skin-types. I have mostly dry, sensitive skin. So this is a risk, because I'm a bit desperate. (Arn't we all). Though the warmer climate that is now coming around changes my skin and allows it to be susceptible to products made for oily skin types. I

In summary, I'm going to be trying both sunscreens and diaper rash creams and reviewing them. I will list the product names, ingredients, and the key ingredients. This is for self-experimentation. I in no way can say that these products will work for you, but i can say you might as well try them if you want. And if you have dry, sensitive, acne-prone skin, then you can relate to me! Please feel free to leave any constructive comments, opinions, or information!

Product #1 - Elta Block Broad Spectrum SPF32 Sunblock & Moisturizer w/ Transparent Zinc Oxide (Paraben-Free)

Price: Like $15 on amazon.

Uses: "Helps prevent sunburn. Protects against UVA/UVB rays. Noncomedogenic. Daily Moisturizer."
~So as of now, this product sounds pretty legit.

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5% (Not sure about this. A little research on it led me to the conclusion that it is harmful).
Zinc Oxide 7.0%

Inactive Ingredients: Purified water, Petrolatum, a lot of random stuff.

~ Google it if you want to see them all.

Results/Review: Instantly after my first use of this product. It left white residue, dried me out, made me flake so bad, and the next day my face was clogged/inflamed and red. Still trying to recover. So not completely positive about why this went so bad. But it's a shame. Maybe it has something to do with the load of unnecessary ingredients. This connects with the 32 SPF; the higher the SPF, the more ingredients. So I am going to try only SPF15-20 sunscreens from now on. Also could be due to the Oxctinoxate ingredient!

Product #2 - (I hit up Walgreens) Desitin Rapid Relief Creamy Zinc Oxide Diaper Rash Cream (Fragrance-Free)

Price: $3 on sale at Walgreens

Uses: "helps treat and prevent diaper rash. Protects chafed skin due to diaper rash and helps seal out wetness"
~And people have amazing results with this stuff? Haha don't be skeptical. Only $3 so might as well right.

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 13%

~ Only zinc oxide... hmm.

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Mineral Oil, Pretrolatum, Beeswax, Dimethicone, and some more crazy ingredients that I've never seen before.)

~Some research showed me that 'mineral oil' should not be used if you have 'oily skin'. Definitely a plus there. I also read that it does not clog pores and is one of the most non-irritating cosmetic ingredients. This is on a post about using these ingredients on one's face however, so who knows.

~According to WebMD (Who's to say you should trust it or not?) "dimethicone topical is used as a moisturizer to treat or prevent dry, rough, scaly, itchy skin, and minor irritations."

Results/Review: -----

~I'm starting off with a patch test that I will do daily in one spot on my face. Gonna do this for a couple days maybe and increase the duration if need be. I will update of course!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/18/2015 9:27 pm

I would do a patch test first. Zinc oxide gives me bad acne.

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 03/18/2015 10:50 pm

Yess I need to learn how to do this so I don't keep messing up my face. What kind of skin do you have though? What kind of zinc oxide product did you use? More info please (: thanks

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/19/2015 2:50 am

My understanding is that if zinc is going to help you it is becuase, in fact, you are deficient in zinc. If you are deficient in zinc you might find, for example, white spots in your fingernails, or stretchmarks on your body, dry skin, prone to infections .... etc

If you are zinc deficient I would take the zinc orally with B6, (or preferably the B6 in the morning and the zinc at night).

But I am keen to hear about your trial!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/19/2015 11:28 am

Yess I need to learn how to do this so I don't keep messing up my face. What kind of skin do you have though? What kind of zinc oxide product did you use? More info please (: thanks

My skin is very acne prone. A lot of products break me out, but zinc oxide is definitely one of the worst for me. When I patch test I choose a small area of skin that is very prone to breakouts (for me this is next to my nose, my cheek, or my chin) and I apply the product to just that spot for up to a week to see if I have any negative reactions. If I don't, I move on to using it on my whole face to see if it's ok.

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/19/2015 11:37 am

I am much the same... my skin hates just about all creams etc no matter how non-comedogenic they claim to be!

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 03/19/2015 3:40 pm

Definitely gonna do that patch test. I just swept through Walgreens and picked up some Desitin baby rash cream

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/22/2015 4:21 am

Keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@purrhole)

Posted : 03/18/2016 9:20 am

Hello everyone, 

I have been using zinc oxide in the powder version mixed with apple cider vinegar (the mix looks like calamine, which also contains zinc oxide). It has helped me remove and heal two pimples that were in my jaw for two months after taking a multivitamin called Centrum. I don't mix that with anything else and I only use it as a spot treatment. I tried using Benzoyl Peroxide, benzonite clay, homemade green tea+apple cider vinegar+tea tree oil toner and nothing removed them. Now I am completely clear. Honestly, I don't trust commercial brands. 
 That mix of zinc oxide powder and AVC is awesome because if you have to leave the house, you can just put it on, leave it until it dries and then you can remove it easily. I don't always use makeup but if I do, I remove the "calamine" and then I apply the makeup on top. 
 As a toner I am using rice water (I used the green tea+ACV+tea tree oil toner for a year and it was awesome but I am currently preferring rice water, which has not given me any new pimple) :D  I also use oatmeal soap and a moisturizer from St. Ives :D  As a supplement  I only take cod liver oil pills. 
 I tried using those baby creams but this method worked waaaaay better because I saw results 2h later. (I suggest using a little bit of each product because you don't need that much, I only use like 4 drops of ACV and a little bit of zinc oxide powder). 

(My skin is dry-moderate acne prone)

Just sharing what worked wonderfully for me hoping that it might help you too guys :D If it works, please let me know 
:D

Manare liked
MemberMember
(@lifesuckswacne)

Posted : 06/04/2018 2:02 am

Did Desitin work for you?