Notifications
Clear all

Diet? For How Long?

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 03/17/2015 11:49 pm

Hello, I'm 24yo and I've had acne for about 6 years now. In the last 3 months I've started taking Azitrox and using Brevoxyl and Skinoren again. Also, I've been cutting out on a lot of stuff in the first 3 months (Dairy, pasta, sweets, soda etc.), but I've realised that even though my results were pretty good, it still wasn't enough and in the last 2 weeks I've decided to cut it all out completely, not even some other stuff I've found out I was breaking out from, such as: chips, french fries, white rice, bananas, nuts, almonds, sweet corn and the absolute worst for me, eggs. I don't eat food with a high GI anymore, I take Zinkit and eat a lot of fruits with vitamin C. The results so far are clearly visible, my skin is improving day by day, except the fact that I ate white rice a few days ago (I forgot it had a high GI) and I got 2 new cysts. My question is, do I have to keep this diet for all my life, or just a few months until I finish the antibiotic, get laser treatment and my hormones balance? Thanks a lot.

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/18/2015 2:49 am

Every person's case will be different. But I would encourage you to be very strict if you find certain dietary triggers to your acne. Remember that if you are eating something, say wheat, and you are getting a reaction in the skin, you are also likely getting reactions elsewhere in the body. Turning off these reactions by avoiding the substance is liekly to provide you with a whole lot more health benefits than just improving the skin.

The duration of an 'exclusion diet' can vary, because if it is a true reaction (be it allergy, sensitivty, intolerance etc) several things may be occurring. Most of the time it's probably associated with one of these mechanisms - 1) high sugar/carb load increasing insulin secretion in the pancreas 2) leaky gut (breakdown of the microscopic gut lining with passage of inflamatory undigested dietary proteins into the circulation) 3) true allergy, whats called 'IgE mediated' 4) dysbiosis (that means an abnormal flora - normally in the case of acne it would be bugs growing right up high in the gut where it is supposed to be almost sterile) ...... I think thats all of them .

My point here is that depending on the reaction the duration of a strict exclusion diet will vary. If you really do get reactiosn from eating the foods keep them all out for about 6 weeks initially.. then trial each of them one at a time for 2 weeks. By trialing them I mean eat a little bit of that particular food youare trialling every day for the 2 weeks and watch the results (in addition to the rest of your diet of course.)

Also, ensure you are still getting a balanced diet, plenty of fibre, water, protein and good fats.

Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 03/18/2015 3:10 am

thanks longtermsufferer10, very good post.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 03/21/2015 5:49 pm

I have another question, can I eat candy, biscuits etc., without sugar?

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/22/2015 4:18 am

Maybe it would be more helpful if you indicate exactly what you have found that triggers your acne? It if is the sugar content, high GI content then you can still obtain sweet things made without 'sugars' - in particular avoid manufactures fructoses.

For example if it is gluten, moving to gluten free products certainly helps you avoid gluten but not necessarily improve the nutrient content or the insulin issues.

I think for most people the goal should be to make your diet as natural as possible. By natural I mean what the human body is adapted to. We adapted to a hunter gatherer diet but this is very hard to do nowadays... so we try to approximate to that as much as possible. Paleo is one such approach.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 03/22/2015 5:18 am

So far I'm sure these things trigger my acne: chips, french fries, white rice, bananas, nuts, almonds, sweet corn and eggs. I cut it all out completely, no soda, no sweets, nothing for the past two weeks. I only got two new cysts when I ate rice and 3-4 cysts flared up in the same usual spots as always, where I have red/deep scars. They're going away in a week or so after I apply topicals, but always come back in the same spots, I think those areas are too affected and topicals can't reach that deep. Other than that, is going pretty good.

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/22/2015 10:08 am

Ok some high carb load foods, also possibly some hydrogenated fats, difficult to digest protein in the nuts and egg. I wonder if you should consider a leaky gut protocol.

Does milk sit well with you?

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 03/22/2015 9:02 pm

Haven't drank milk or had any dairy since December, didn't have a problem with it before that (stomach upset or anything), but I don't know if it triggers my acne.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 03/23/2015 1:19 am

Also, about the leaky gut, I think I read something about having to do with white zits around the mouth, nose and on the chin. I'm getting 2-3 of those, which go away in a few days, then I get other new ones in different places. Initially I thought it was from shaving, but it might have something to do with the leaky gut? Forgot to mention it.

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/24/2015 3:05 pm

It can be hard to link a specific symptom with certainty to a particular reaction etc.

I think you should continue the diet and finish the other treatments before assessing for Leaky Gut.

If acne returns post treatment (becuase it seems that things are improving, right?) I would suggest 40 or 90 food IgG testing and some gut healing measures if it confirms a Leaky Gut Picture.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 03/24/2015 7:55 pm

Thanks. Yeah, the things are improving day by day, I've got one more week of antibiotic (Azitrox, 4 months total and a little bit over 2 weeks since I cut all the stuff I've wrote about completely) and then I'll use the Skinoren and Brevoxyl for 2 more weeks, then I'll see my derm in order to decide if I'm ready for laser (Genesis). Hopefully the acne won't come back again this time, or at least not like before, I'm kinda done with it after 6 years :)

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/30/2015 8:42 am

Let us know how it goes with the Laser.

Andrei11 liked
MemberMember
(@cross17)

Posted : 04/03/2015 11:12 am

Get clear !!

I've struggled with persistent cystic acne for 13 years. I am finally crystal clear (I get a small breakout if I stray away from my regimen or eat the wrong things but whatever sometimes you need junk food!) now I'm no expert, but I do know what it's like to cry when you see your face without makeup If this is you, read on!

Now, after visiting the dermatologist many many times, I've had some short-lived success. The only thing that has given me consistent success is changing what I put into my body. Ever feel like you are taking amazing care of your skin and still breaking out? That's because our skin is a direct reflection of our health-acne is a symptom of a bigger problem: lack of nutrition!

Many people have food intolerances and don't know it. So we eat the same things day in and day out and our body tries to eliminate them (via our skin for some people like me and you). Some common triggers: dairy, gluten, processed sugar (me), corn (me). By eliminating corn and corn products-read labels!! And lowering sugar intake while adding whole food nutrition via my diet and juice plus capsules (life saver! Also helped with weight loss for me)...I am totally clear and confident. Check my profile for before/after pictures.

Regimen:

Eliminate corn products in diet

Reduce sugar in diet

Take juice plus capsules

Eat mostly non processed foods

Topical:

Am: wash with cera ve sensitive skin wash

Moisturize with Jergens for face spf 15

Almay clear complexion makeup

Mac bronzing powder

Pm: wash with cera be sensitive skin wash

Moisturize with neutrogena oil free

Treat with acne.org treatment (3 times a week)

I've done the regimen without the diet change. Helped but did not keep the giant, under the skin cysts from forming! Hit me up for any questions you have

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 04/05/2015 12:38 am

Get clear !!

I've struggled with persistent cystic acne for 13 years. I am finally crystal clear (I get a small breakout if I stray away from my regimen or eat the wrong things but whatever sometimes you need junk food!) now I'm no expert, but I do know what it's like to cry when you see your face without makeup If this is you, read on!

Now, after visiting the dermatologist many many times, I've had some short-lived success. The only thing that has given me consistent success is changing what I put into my body. Ever feel like you are taking amazing care of your skin and still breaking out? That's because our skin is a direct reflection of our health-acne is a symptom of a bigger problem: lack of nutrition!

Many people have food intolerances and don't know it. So we eat the same things day in and day out and our body tries to eliminate them (via our skin for some people like me and you). Some common triggers: dairy, gluten, processed sugar (me), corn (me). By eliminating corn and corn products-read labels!! And lowering sugar intake while adding whole food nutrition via my diet and juice plus capsules (life saver! Also helped with weight loss for me)...I am totally clear and confident. Check my profile for before/after pictures.

Regimen:

Eliminate corn products in diet

Reduce sugar in diet

Take juice plus capsules

Eat mostly non processed foods

Topical:

Am: wash with cera ve sensitive skin wash

Moisturize with Jergens for face spf 15

Almay clear complexion makeup

Mac bronzing powder

Pm: wash with cera be sensitive skin wash

Moisturize with neutrogena oil free

Treat with acne.org treatment (3 times a week)

I've done the regimen without the diet change. Helped but did not keep the giant, under the skin cysts from forming! Hit me up for any questions you have

Congratulations, it is great to hear that (in spite of the persistant criticism from mainstream medicine) people are understanding the link between what you eat and health.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 04/15/2015 7:01 pm

thanks cross17!

Update:

I have another question, can I eat candy, biscuits etc., without sugar?

my doctor said to avoid these as well.

I finished the antibiotics 2 weeks ago and I need to follow the same routine:

-Zinkit daily and I have to eat fruits containing vitamin C, 3 times a day (morning, noon, night)

-Brevoxyl in the morning and Skinoren in the night, on active pimples only, got less than 10 at the moment

-I wash my face 2 times a day with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel.

-My derm said to use when I'm out La Roche Posay thermal water and Anthelios AC.

-Same diet.

I have to use this routine for 3 more months and afterwards I need to use a substance made in the pharmacy in case I get active acne. After these 3 months, no more Brevoxyl, Skinoren, Zinkit.

Unfortunately, I have to wait 6 months to see how I react to this routine and then I'll be able to start the laser treatment (Genesis), after I get a VISIA evaluation.

This makes me really sad because I have a lot of different scars, but I hope once I'm done, the acne is gone for good.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 05/03/2015 9:43 am

Another question if anyone is reading this topic, am I allowed to put sugar in my green tea or not? thanks ;D