Notifications
Clear all

Accutane And Nose Bleeds

MemberMember
(@surrender)

Posted : 03/17/2015 5:27 pm

Hey guys. I'm on day 21 of Accutane 60mg/day.

Last night when I was done work, I was going to my car and I felt some liquid in my nose and I went to wipe it, I thought it was just runny. I looked at my hand and my nose was bleeding! My nose has been REALLY dry the past week, it was just my left nostril. It stopped after about 4-5 minutes.

This is fairly common right? It alarmed me because I've actually never had a nosebleed in my entire life. It was scary! Lol.

I put some vaseline around the inside of my nose, is there any kind of gel or something I can buy to try to prevent this from happening, do you have any recommendations I can buy over the counter?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/17/2015 5:37 pm

Last night when I was done work, I was going to my car and I felt some liquid in my nose and I went to wipe it, I thought it was just runny. I looked at my hand and my nose was bleeding! My nose has been REALLY dry the past week, it was just my left nostril. It stopped after about 4-5 minutes.

This is fairly common right? It alarmed me because I've actually never had a nosebleed in my entire life. It was scary! Lol.

I put some vaseline around the inside of my nose, is there any kind of gel or something I can buy to try to prevent this from happening, do you have any recommendations I can buy over the counter?

Hi - yes, this is common! Keeping your nose from getting too dry is key, but sometimes it's unavoidable (especially when you get colds or allergies). Applying vaseline or aquaphore around your nostrils was helpful to me in keeping my nose from getting too dry. Some posters have also suggested using a humidifier at night in other posts, but honestly I didn't find this to be helpful (and cleaning a humidifier everyday is just a chore I did not enjoy). It might be for you though, especially if you live in a very dry climate.

MemberMember
(@surrender)

Posted : 03/17/2015 5:40 pm

Hi - yes, this is common! Keeping your nose from getting too dry is key, but sometimes it's unavoidable (especially when you get colds or allergies). Applying vaseline or aquaphore around your nostrils was helpful to me in keeping my nose from getting too dry. Some posters have also suggested using a humidifier at night in other posts, but honestly I didn't find this to be helpful (and cleaning a humidifier everyday is just a chore I did not enjoy). It might be for you though, especially if you live in a very dry climate.

Thank you for the quick reply :) It scared the heck out of me LOL i won't lie. It's relieving to know it's common.

I've been using the vaseline, I've also been reading about this "Rhinaris" gel that people put in their nose for it, have you heard of this one?

Or should I just get some Aquaphor?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/17/2015 5:51 pm

Hi - I've never heard of Rhinaris but it looks like it would be helpful based on what I am reading, I don't see why it wouldn't hurt. I would certainly recommend aquaphor as well - it's the only thing that kept my lips from cracking and it's very affordable.

MemberMember
(@cshock1)

Posted : 03/17/2015 6:31 pm

Get the big bottle of simply saline nasal relief. It's a nose spray but it's non addictive and you can literally use it every second if you want. It's not harmful and it won't cause nose blockages like nose spray does if you use too much. It's just saline solution and it's AMAZING at hydrating your nose. It's a strong mist but it feels amazing. I also spray it on any open acne I have because the salt cleans it right out! Sometimes I just mist my face with it when I feel dry or hot. It's awesome!