Notifications
Clear all

Beginning Vitamin B5

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 03/17/2015 10:14 am

Hi Guys! :)

A bit of background:

I'm a 22 year old female, and have suffered from acne since the age of around 12.

I have tried pretty much every over the counter and prescription topical treatments available, but nothing helped. I've been on numerous antibiotics (tetracycline, limecycline, etc), none of which worked.

I have been on 3 different types of birth control: Microgynon (made acne worse), Dianette (no help after 3 months and couldn't stay on any longer), and currently on Cilest (been on this a year and think it has slightly helped but not enough).

At the age of 18 I went on Accutane. Even this took 5 months of 60-80mg a day for me to begin to clear up, and although I was finally clear after finishing treatment, my acne returned within 3 months. Although, when it did return, it came back as moderate compared to the severe acne I had before Accutane.

I have also tried the Acne.org regimen for over a year, which sliiightly helped but nowhere near the point I needed it to!

So, after all this, I'm still moderate and desperate for something that will actually work. I'll soon be starting my new job teaching 16-18 year olds and can't face standing in front of a class of teens with worse skin than them!

So after hours of research, I came across the Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) treatment that seems to be working wonders for a lot of people. I am certainly not naive when it comes to acne treatments due to the amount of ineffective methods I've tried, and I have looked in depth at the pros and cons of B5, but I'm willing to give anything a shot. So 9 days ago I started my new regime:

Manuka Honey face wash twice a day (morning and night.)

8g Vitamin B5 (powder form; 4g in morning and 4g at night. Increased from 4g a day over the first few days.)

500mg L-Carnitine

600mg N-Acetyl L-Cysteine

15mg Zinc

I will reduce the amount of B5 I take soon as the L-Carnitine and L-Cysteine will supposedly improve it's effectiveness, but I just wanted to give it that initial kick! I have also been taking a B-Complex once a day but many people say this actually worsens their acne and I have broken out a bit more than usual, so I've stopped this for now. I will try and take one less often just to try and keep on top of the B vitamin balance.

So after 9 days my acne has not improved, if anything it is worse than usual, but it can't be expected to work so quickly and there's always the initial breakout. My face feels slightly less oily but not noticeably. Most people seem to see full results after about 3 months, but as even Accutane didn't start to clear my persistant acne until over 5 months I'm expecting mine to take a bit longer!

I will keep updating on my progress; I found these personal logs very useful when researching whether to try the treatment myself! Hoping more than anything that it works for me! :)

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/17/2015 11:45 am

Very interested to hear your future progress posts.

The dose of B5 probably needs to be reduced relatively soon in light of the L-carnetine you are taking. Good luck!

PS its true there can be a delay in onset of action, but its the same for Accutane etc... stick with it.

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 03/20/2015 7:26 am

Thanks! Been on this for just under 2 weeks and currently not seeing much of a different, either positive or negative. Will update again in a week or so!

Also, just to note, when I was 17 (which was when my acne was at it's most severe) my mum was really against me going on Accutane and ended up finding out about Vilantae. This is basically just B5 with a few other ingredients, but is much more expensive than buying the vitamins alone. Anyway, she bought me a ton of it. I took this for a couple of months and it really dried my skin out, to the point of it being flaky, but the acne was still there. I couldn't wait any longer and persuaded my mum to let me go on Accutane.

One of the main reasons i'm trying this method again is that my acne is nowhere near as severe now as it was back then, I was just covered in cysts on my face and back and I don't think anything other than Accutane was enough to combat it. Now that my acne is moderate, and only mild at times, and I know that B5 did reduce the oiliness of my skin, I'm hoping that this time it might be enough to get rid of it. Although as I'm now 22 and buying my own treatments I'm just taking the regular, cheaper Vitamin B5 rather than the expensive companies' own versions!

Still got my fingers crossed! :)

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/22/2015 4:21 am

I wonder if when you took the B5 last time you were also taking the L carnitine?

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 03/23/2015 4:32 am

No, L-Carnitine isn't an ingredient of Vilantae (I don't think!) and so I wasn't taking any. Maybe that will give it the push it needs now!

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/23/2015 7:47 am

Absolutely.

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 03/31/2015 5:25 am

Quick update!

I've been using Vit B5 for just over 3 weeks now, and my skin is actually looking really good. I haven't had any new spots in about 4 days. However my skin does do this from time to time so I'm trying not to get too excited!

I do think my overall skin tone is looking healthier though, and it's not too dry either (I'm making sure I moisturise twice a day).

So far so good!

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/31/2015 1:39 pm

Congratulations, keep us posted.

HAve you cut back on the total B5 dose yet?

MemberMember
(@positivepositivepositive)

Posted : 04/01/2015 5:21 am

Hope you get well soon!

I have a bottle of B complex and Zinc too.

Looking forward to your update.

Btw, do you have non-inflamed acne? was it improved?

P.S. I've read a thread that a guy posted elsewhere saying because of megadosing B5 caused his wife a lot of terrible body failure and issues, yet searching for years, no doctor could have his wife cured or even helped ever since.

Just saying, be aware, and never think of overdosage.

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 04/05/2015 12:52 am

Hope you get well soon!

P.S. I've read a thread that a guy posted elsewhere saying because of megadosing B5 caused his wife a lot of terrible body failure and issues, yet searching for years, no doctor could have his wife cured or even helped ever since.

I have never heard of organ failure from B5 overdosing...

MemberMember
(@positivepositivepositive)

Posted : 04/05/2015 6:28 am

Hope you get well soon!

I have never heard of organ failure from B5 overdosing...

Neither was I.

Until I started looking into it, stumbled across the internet, and found some people suffering hair loss, stomach issues, also some irregular body reaction due to overdosing, though some took regular dosage amount on daily bases could still occur some of the common problems like hair loss, etc. And these effects could take years for them to started to appear.

Here's a link to the thread I mentioned earlier. (don't know if I could post link here.)

http://www.cyclingforums.com/topic/27760-pantothenic-acid-megadose-permanent-side-effects/

I read the original thread in one of the repliers' post though, doesn't matter, it's the information that matters.

I remember at the time I read it, I felt so sorry for them.

It is because B5 improved the skin in some way, but brings serious problem to the body, some permanent issue I might say I concerned.

I honestly hope everyone who try to use B5 against acne take time to read it first.

And if you do want to try it anyway, be sure no megadosing.

and take B complex/ at least with biotin while taking B 5 alone.

Because each of them are related and needed to be at safe proportion.

Medicines are medicines, if you use one to treat an issue, some other things might be influenced, you just don't know yet.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but the opposite, I care for them.

Yet, there should be some successful cases out there with no side effects.

Just saying be caution on what you're doing.

I know how desperate you could get after trying many treatment yet none of them have worked.

If you believe doctor couldn't help with your issue, then you're on your own.

You will got no one to blame with the consequences.

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 04/06/2015 9:24 am

Hello! 1 month since I started B5.

I have had a small breakout this week but nothing crazy and it seems to be clearing quickly. I still think my skin tone looks healthier and again, not a huge lot of dryness. In regards to side effects, I did do a lot of research before starting the treatment and effects that I have read about tend to be gastrointestinal problems and hair loss. So far I have not noticed any difference in my hair, and only slight stomach discomfort (apparently this will completely stop in time).

So, so far not a huge difference but I'm gonna stick at it for a while yet, as I said before some people don't see complete clearing until 3 months.

This week I'm going to reduce the dose to about 6g a day, and if it seems to still help I'll reduce it again soon after.

Thanks for all your comments :)

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 04/16/2015 7:13 am

5 and a half weeks on B5! Still taking 6g B5, 500mg L-Carnitine and 600mg L-Cysteine + a zinc supplement each day.

The breakout from my last update has cleared and my skin is looking pretty good, only two new spots in the past week. Again, no new side effects and the stomach discomfort is definitely subsiding.

So not really much to report but I will definitely be keeping on the treatment for now!

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 05/01/2015 5:34 am

Almost 2 months since starting B5, and I'm really beginning to get my hopes up! I've had only 3 spots since my last update over 2 weeks ago, and my skin has just been generally pretty good for the last 4 weeks! My skin does tend to have periods of being ok but never for this long!

Pretty much no side effects, just a bit of mild stomach discomfort every now and again, which is a small price to pay!

I'm still on 6g B5, 500mg L-Carnitine and 600mg L-Cysteine + a zinc supplement. I will keep updating as I am definitely not going to be giving it up any time soon! :)

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 06/09/2015 10:28 am

I haven't updated in a while, mostly because this treatment means I barely even think about my skin anymore! I am so happy! I've been taking this treatment for a bit over 3 months now and my skin is currently perfect... I have had 1 spot in the past 3 weeks! ONE!

I'm now taking around 6g B5, 600mg L-Cysteine and a zinc and L-Carnitine tablet when I remember, with no side effects.

I still can't bring myself to feel like this is it for me because I have been so disappointed before, but I really can't believe how it is working for me right now.

I don't want to advise anyone that megadosing is a good idea, but if like me you've tried so many things to no avail, maybe you should think about this one.

MemberMember
(@ankitaahuja)

Posted : 03/09/2018 10:03 am

Hi,

I know its been more than 2 years. Are you still taking vitamin B5. Its been about 2 weeks, I am taking vitamin B5 with L-carnitine. I cant take much as I already have dry skin and dandruff problem. SO I am taking 2g of Vitamin B5, 1multivitamin and 500mg of L-carnitine. first week it was ok, but from last 4-5 days I am breaking out with deep cystic acne. Yesterday It was so deep that I was not able to sleep because of pain. Can you please let me know, which kind of acne you were suffering before B5 regiman, I mean was it more cystic or whiteheads and Moderate or severe? Thanks

MemberMember
(@justtreasurer)

Posted : 04/30/2018 4:46 am

update us please