Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fejao

Removal of Cysts

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here has had their cysts removed? I have two rather large cysts that are very noticeable to me, one located near the crease of my cheek and one in the middle of my forehead and each is about 1.5cm sq. They have not changed or got smaller in about 5 years and I went to the dermatologist who said he would not be happy to remove them because it would cause more scarring. However they really annoy me and personally I think he just said that to me, cause he did not want to fill up his waiting list. What is your experience of having cysts removed?

Fejao x

Yeh I could persure H-cortisone. I was thinking of getting the cyst on my cheek removed buccaly, meaning the scar would be in my mouth. The cyst on my forehead, could possible be removed by an incision in my hairline, well its a thought.

Fejao x

I had a sebaceous cyst under my arm once. My M.D. told me not to worry about it, so I didn't. It eventually went away in a year or 2.

Sebaceous cysts are not dangerous and can usually be ignored. At times, they may become inflamed and tender. Others may grow large and interfere with day-to-day life. In these cases, you can have them surgically removed in a physician's office. Alternatively, small inflamed cysts can be treated by injection of steroid medications.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/ar...2.htm#Treatment

cortisone shots are the usual treatment. There is a small risk of new scrarring if the derm injects too much solution or injects a solution which is too strong. Tho there may be some reason about the cysts themselves which accounts for why why your original doctor didn't mention cortisone.

No there is no reason for my cysts to be removed, they have been there for years. I was wondering what your experiences with having cysts removed, I will probally get it done private as they are more prone to doing what the patient/client wants.

Fejao x

I had a cyst removed from my forhead several years ago. Was somewhat big, I don't recall exactly but I would say about the size of a US nickel. The bump although colorless, was quite embarassing, I was even called a unicorn once heh.

I'm not sure what the procedure was called, but the doc shot some anesthetic in various places around it, cut the skin open, and then kept cutting until it popped out. Total incision length was probably 3/4" or less, and only requried 3 stiches. Now, there is no line at all where the cut was. The area is oh so slightly raised, because there is some scar tissue underneath it and my skull right in back of it. If it were on my cheek, there would be zero signs of it. I really have to try and look for it to see it. No way anyone else could see it.

The procedure is called a cystectomy )ectomy) meaning removal. Yeh I dont think my cyst is that noticable, except to me but then I am getting them removed for me. Thanks for the information.

Fejao x

I had a cyst removed from my forhead several years ago. Was somewhat big, I don't recall exactly but I would say about the size of a US nickel. The bump although colorless, was quite embarassing, I was even called a unicorn once heh.

I'm not sure what the procedure was called, but the doc shot some anesthetic in various places around it, cut the skin open, and then kept cutting until it popped out. Total incision length was probably 3/4" or less, and only requried 3 stiches. Now, there is no line at all where the cut was. The area is oh so slightly raised, because there is some scar tissue underneath it and my skull right in back of it. If it were on my cheek, there would be zero signs of it. I really have to try and look for it to see it. No way anyone else could see it.