Notifications
Clear all

Asking For Accutane Tomorrow. Discussion?

MemberMember
(@excellentgame)

Posted : 03/16/2015 9:33 pm

This may or may not be the right section, lol.

---

Anyway, I'm 19M (20 in a month) and I think it's about time I go to my doctor and firmly request accutane. I found a clindamycin/BP prescription from early 2009 that I had used, so it's been about 6 years. Nostalgia. :/

I'm currently using:

- Tactuo (Epiduo for Americans) at night (7pm or so)

- 10% BP Wash on forehead once or twice a day (once thinly in the morning to spot treat problem forehead areas, once at 10pm or so as a wash)

- 5% BP cream to spot treat problem areas on rest of face

- La Roche Poussay moisturizer 2-3x a day ($40 a bottle, only thing that seems to work)

- I exfoliate my crazy peeling skin once a day, sometimes I need to exfoliate twice a day. I peel like crazy.

If I change this routine at all, my face turns beet red and I get chemical burns. And there's certain areas I have to use other products on, or I get chemical burns. I was on a date and the girl asked if I was blushing the entire time, thought it was about time to change this lol.

We have a family history of getting accutane. My doctor hates the medicine, but I'm going to be firm about this. I'm fed up. Plus, I'd like to take care of my back and shoulder acne too. I don't want to feel self conscious if I want to go swimming.

Can anyone relate? My doctor's going to try to talk me out of it.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 03/17/2015 6:34 am

Decided to move this post over to the prescription acne meds forum which is hopefully more helpful for you

I haven't taken accutane but my advice would be to listen to what your doctor has to say (your doctor should listen to you though and I'd imagine be ok with prescribing accutane if other 'less risky' methods aren't helping or aren't suiting you). Of course, seek a second opinion / see a new doctor if you want to also. Make sure you've done your research and listen to what your doctor / derm has to say so you're making an informed decision about it all.

Good luck with it all

MemberMember
(@cshock1)

Posted : 03/17/2015 8:56 am

Tell your doctor that you've tried literally everything and make up a sob story about how acne is screwing up your life. I also have a family history of accutane and doctors like to see that because biologically it shows how you would most likely react, also shows acne runs in your family which is hereditary, meaning nothing else is going to work besides accutane mostly, because your oil glans need to be shrunk asap! It took a month and a half to get a dermatologist appointment here in the states but that's expected. It's easier for you and I to get accutane because we're guys and can't get preggo!

Anyways just stay firm, the side effects are so hyped it's not even funny it's really NOT that bad at all, although my initial breakout is just now slowing down im about to take my day 10 pill. Hope to hear from you, good luck!

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 03/17/2015 3:08 pm

accutane is a serious drug .....u need to read all you can about it and weight the positive and negative ....also if ur worried about side effect ....discuss the possiblity of going on a low dose with ur doctor

good luck

MemberMember
(@excellentgame)

Posted : 03/17/2015 4:25 pm

She gave me my blood work form, she said once they have the lab results back she can start me on it. 1 month, blood work, 1 month, blood work etc.

This should be interesting. I'm hopeful but I'm not expecting much.

MemberMember
(@cshock1)

Posted : 03/17/2015 4:45 pm

She gave me my blood work form, she said once they have the lab results back she can start me on it. 1 month, blood work, 1 month, blood work etc.

My derm gave me my first course the day they took my blood. But I have an app on my phone that my hospital uses so I can see all my blood test results. It'll be interesting to see how much different from the norm my levels are

MemberMember
(@excellentgame)

Posted : 03/19/2015 1:12 pm

My derm gave me my first course the day they took my blood. But I have an app on my phone that my hospital uses so I can see all my blood test results. It'll be interesting to see how much different from the norm my levels are

Was this recent? You just started your course?

I'm a little nervous, because I have clinical depression (possibly bipolar) and I've heard of some potentially bad side effects of accutane for people like me. But otherwise I think it should work well for me. My dad only took it for 2 months when he had taken it.

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 03/19/2015 2:01 pm

I'm a little nervous, because I have clinical depression (possibly bipolar) and I've heard of some potentially bad side effects of accutane for people like me. But otherwise I think it should work well for me. My dad only took it for 2 months when he had taken it.

yes depression is a side effetc ...especially since you have a history ...u should find someone you trust so he keep an eye on you ...you may say that you'll be able to know on ur own but you'll be wrong

in my last course on accutane ...just 20 mg a day ...i noticed that i was depressed all the time ....like i didnt care about a thing ....and i was on a low dose and no history of depression but i did have it in my family history....so be carefull while on accutane

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/19/2015 2:57 pm

Hi - I am also diagnosed with MDD. I was on accutane for 6 months. I did experience some fatigue and brain fog but no aggravation of my depression symptoms. In fact, my emotional state improved as my skin improved. That being said, fatigue and brain fog can trigger a major depressive episode in some people, so it might be good to let friends and family know to keep an eye on you and let you know if they think your mood or personality is changing dramatically. Social support is always very helpful for things like this!

Good luck!