Notifications
Clear all

Nothing Works

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 03/16/2015 8:59 pm

I am on my own regimen based on things I have read. However, my acne gets worse everyday. Ive been using my regimen for about 6 months now. I have a lot of spots on my forehead which im not sure if is acne or something else. I have a lot of acne on my cheeks and some on my upper lip. I also excercise regularly. Im a 15 year old male. My skin regimen:

Morning:

In shower, Clean and Clear Advantage Soothing Facial Scrub with Salycilic acid

Neutrogena Oil free moisturizer combination skin

Night:

Clean and Clear Continuous Control with Benzoyl peroxide

Clean and Clear max Persa gel for spot treatment but I end up putting it all over my face and forehead.

I just dont know what to do anymore. My siblings make fun of me because of my acne and I can never talk to a girl because they all run away from me :(

Should I change my moisturizer? What about my cleanser? I was thinking of trying Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@cicibabygirl)

Posted : 03/16/2015 10:00 pm

Go see a dermatologist and see what they recommend you do. Better to go now and save the time you would spend guessing what to use. And don't listen to your siblings. My siblings made fun of me too. Now some of them struggle with acne too. Don't worry about girls either. You're only 15. The good ones don't run away :)

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 03/16/2015 10:25 pm

Thanks, but my parents refuse to take me to a derm. They said that I have to deal with it but they dont understand what I feel.

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 03/17/2015 3:39 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/17/2015 4:34 pm

I am on my own regimen based on things I have read. However, my acne gets worse everyday. Ive been using my regimen for about 6 months now. I have a lot of spots on my forehead which im not sure if is acne or something else. I have a lot of acne on my cheeks and some on my upper lip. I also excercise regularly. Im a 15 year old male. My skin regimen:

Morning:

In shower, Clean and Clear Advantage Soothing Facial Scrub with Salycilic acid

Neutrogena Oil free moisturizer combination skin

Night:

Clean and Clear Continuous Control with Benzoyl peroxide

Clean and Clear max Persa gel for spot treatment but I end up putting it all over my face and forehead.

I just dont know what to do anymore. My siblings make fun of me because of my acne and I can never talk to a girl because they all run away from me :(

Should I change my moisturizer? What about my cleanser? I was thinking of trying Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser.

Thanks

Hi - your regimen is pretty strong on active ingredients and may actually cause irritation that can make acne appear worse. Using an SA containing cleanser in place of the scrub in the morning might be helpful, SA is exfoliating by itself. Also - you might want to incorporate a moisturizer that contains SPF for the morning. It's important to use SPF when treating acne.

In the evening, you are using two products that contain pretty high levels of BP. I would suggest using either one or the other. Alternatively, you could use one BP product in the morning and one at night, and just ditch the SA and replace it with a gentle cleanser (cetaphil is a good one).

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 03/17/2015 4:38 pm

Is Aveeno ultra-calming cleanser or aveeno clear complexion good enough as a SA cleanser? What if I use the C&C but dont rub the beads in?

Also, I read some post here saying that you should use SA in the morning and SA with BP at night, would that help or is that too much in your opinion?

Again, thanks for the help

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/17/2015 4:55 pm

Hi -

I'm not sure about your first question, to be honest SA hasn't been very effective for me in the past. I guess my main suggestion is just avoid using anything that is considered a "scrub" as they can be very irritating to acne-prone skin. Yes, SA and BP can be used in combination - so that might be an option for you. If you use SA in the morning, just make sure to use SPF as SA can make your skin more sensitive to the sun.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 03/17/2015 6:38 pm

Hi

I agree with megtree about avoiding products with scrubs as they can just irritate your skin further. You can use SA and BP in combination if you want. If you do not have sensitive skin you can apply BP in the morning and the evening (ie. twice a day). Just make sure you use a noncomedenic moisturizer (I personally like Cerave) because if your skin becomes too dry your acne can get worse.

Another thing you might want to look at is your diet - changes in diet can make a difference for some people. The biggest culprits seem to be dairy, high sugar foods, processed foods and wheat. Different foods can be triggers for different people but your diet might be something you want to consider.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/18/2015 11:30 am

Hi

I agree with megtree about avoiding products with scrubs as they can just irritate your skin further. You can use SA and BP in combination if you want. If you do not have sensitive skin you can apply BP in the morning and the evening (ie. twice a day). Just make sure you use a noncomedenic moisturizer (I personally like Cerave) because if your skin becomes too dry your acne can get worse.

Another thing you might want to look at is your diet - changes in diet can make a difference for some people. The biggest culprits seem to be dairy, high sugar foods, processed foods and wheat. Different foods can be triggers for different people but your diet might be something you want to consider.

Good luck!

Yes! Also, you might try incorporating a moisturizer like cerave at night. CeravePM lotion is really light but moisturizing. Keeping your skin moisturized can really help minimize some of the harsh side effects of BP and SA and reduce irritation and inflammation.

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 03/18/2015 10:05 pm

Well when I use my moisturizer at night, it feels weird when I wash it off 7 hours later in the morning.

Also, is the moisturizer Im using good or should I try a different one?

MemberMember
(@sallyy75)

Posted : 03/19/2015 9:48 am

Hello below is the set up I have been using for 3 months now. So happy to finally be on top of my spots. It is so worth the effort.

No dairy products

Drink plenty of water

Drink matcha green tea or regular green tea instead of coffee/energy drinks/black tea

Use PureChimp Super Cleanser

Use brown instead of white. For example brown rice instead of white rice.

Cut down on sugary foods

Exercise at least 3 times a week

I hope this helps you. After 3 months I found its easy to follow & its just all a good habit now.