Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin B3 High Dose Extremely Helpful For Me

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/15/2015 4:57 am

I am 34 years old and from about the age of 17 have had significant acne, only on my face. I have no scarring. My skin has always been both oily and dry. I tried lots of topical creams as a teenager and early 20s, hoping I would grow out of it, then in addition to the acne I would get red and flushed. I could go to bed with clear skin and wake up with a bit welt i the middle of my forehead. I slowly identified triggers over the years.. alcohol was a big one.. champagne in particular actually. Milk. Certainly stress made everything worse. Cold wind was a bad one, but being of fair complexion the sun, although feeling good, didn't help either. In winter one year my skin was so bad I was almost too afraid to go out in public, I was taking days off work (about age 25). I saw a doctor who, because of all the inflamation, gave me a cortisone cream. The effect was almost instant and for the first time in years I knew if I applied the cream I would get uninflamed good skin the next day. Ofcourse.... I knew (and everyone should know) that you can't just keep using the cortisone. Eventually I fell into that trap and I was using it daily just to keep the acne at bay, and if I tried to stop it would flare up terribly. I should add I had tried roaccutane twice and used minocycline and doxycycline as well (strong oral antibiotics). Stopping the cortisone was difficult but I got through it. I couldn;t put anything on my skin without causing a flare up.

Since then, for about 5 years, I have just survived as is. I have flare ups and I know some triggers. It causes me alot of distress, but I guess as you get older you get less vain and more resilient perhaps.... UNTIL!

Reading on the internet I came across some information of Vitamin B3 - which comes in two forms (niacin - which causes flushing) and niacinamide (also known as nicotinamide) which does not cause flushing. Within 3 days of starting the niacinamide at a moderately high (but safe dose) I was convinced. I had virtually no knew lesions popping up and those that did pop up would just be a tiny little dot and then pale away over the next few hours.

Vitamin B3 has, like nothing else, restored by confidence to be able to go out. The triggers still do get me a bit... particularly champagne (bugger!) but not like before. Cold weather and cold wind now do not affect me almost at all. I added a link below for some information on Vitamin B3. Its just an information site, no selling there.

[Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@wannabebeautiful79)

Posted : 03/16/2015 3:27 pm

At what dosage do u take it, and how many times per day?

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/17/2015 11:39 am

400-500mg tablets (depending what I can pick up from the vitamin store). I take it with each meal and if I feel I am a bit red that day or if I am going to drink alcohol or be in cold wind (which were precipitants for me) I take an extra one at night. It stared working within 72 hours and I haven't had any side effects to speak ok. Let us know how it goes if your going to give it a try!

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/18/2015 2:51 am

On 3/17/2015 at 2:27 AM, wannabebeautiful79 said:

At what dosage do u take it, and how many times per day?

Sorry, I forgot to say, make sure you get Niacinamide (also called Nicotinamide) and not the Niacin form. For a description of the difference go to [Edited link out].

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@longtermsufferer10)

Posted : 03/30/2015 9:06 am

I wanted to add that when I drink alot of alcohol I have noticed that my skin does still break out even on the Niacinamide (B3). But it seems to settle the next day.

All in all this has been a remarkable blessing for me!

MemberMember
(@acneruinsme)

Posted : 05/19/2015 5:05 am

After 48 hours on this my skin feels less inflamed and is less red. Fingers crossed. I am taking a capsule 500mg Niacinamide (non flush Niacin the bottle says) 4 times per day. If things go well I will cut back to 3 times daily in 1 week. Will keep you posted.