Notifications
Clear all

Depressed

MemberMember
(@flyboyfly)

Posted : 03/14/2015 11:36 am

Hello everyone.

Just a little background about myself, I'm currently a cabin crew with one of the most renowned airlines in the world and it really sucks to have bad skin like I do. I've struggled with mild/moderate acne for nearly 8 years and now that I'm in an environment where everyone has close to flawless skin, I feel more alone than ever.

Large pores, uneven skin tone and oily skin didn't deter me from joining the airlines industry and I'm surprised I made it through since competition was really really stiff. And yes, it made me more conscious during training as all my coursemates had very good skin. I went ahead with Fraxel and Cooltouch - both of which failed to achieve its desired results and the recent cooltouch broke me out really badly on my temples - which sent me to a state of despair.

Funny thing is that I do have really close friends but I can't bear myself to relate such a problem to them as it seems so trivial. As such, I called in sick for close to a month; cooping at home, playing video games - basically just looping in this vicious cycle. So here am I ranting, at 2 am, with several active cysts, PIH and large pores to get myself some respite. Every morning I'd hope for clear skin (who wouldn't), only just to keep hoping for the next. I really wish to head back to work as I love my job (my coursemates, sightseeing, waking up in a new country every now and then) but the state of my skin is such a sore.

Well, I guess I really needed this rant. Please feel free to say hi! I hope we can rally support for one another and pull through. If any of you have any questions about ever joining as a cabin crew or even just a chat, do drop me a message! I'm more than happy to share with you my experience and make a new friend.

Cheers :)

mollygag liked
MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 03/14/2015 11:56 pm

Hey there, first let me tell you that if acne didn't stop you from achieving your goals, why stop now?, I do understand the pain that you are going through believe me.

Let me ask you , have you seen a dermatologist? These days there are a lot of treatments available, and I think the more depressed we get, the more acne we get , because we kind of stop taking care of ourselves , I think your first step should be a consultation with a good caring dermatologist , pay attention if your breakouts are related to your diet , or just have your doctor to run some blood tests ,

Sometimes acne can get complicated with fungal,antiviral or bacterial infections .

Do not give up , there are a lot of treatments that you can try to keep this disease under control.

Try to read the posts here , the forums offer a lot of help , you don't have to try whatever , just read to see if you can relate to them or see what has worked for these members.

But don't stop, keep going.

Take care.

MemberMember
(@flyboyfly)

Posted : 03/15/2015 3:03 am

Thank you for your kind words, Noche.

Fact is I've been to several dermatologists now and the most recent one is a really kind lady whom I can relate my problems too really well. It's just I feel so conscious daily and have almost no one to turn to since they don't really understand my problem (clear skin folks of course).

I am trying to stay positive and understand that it's all a phase that I'll need to go through. Hopefully, things will turn out for the better.

How about you Noche? What's your story and is it going well for you?

MemberMember
(@maggie1989)

Posted : 03/16/2015 1:44 pm

Hello everyone.

Just a little background about myself, I'm currently a cabin crew with one of the most renowned airlines in the world and it really sucks to have bad skin like I do. I've struggled with mild/moderate acne for nearly 8 years and now that I'm in an environment where everyone has close to flawless skin, I feel more alone than ever.

Large pores, uneven skin tone and oily skin didn't deter me from joining the airlines industry and I'm surprised I made it through since competition was really really stiff. And yes, it made me more conscious during training as all my coursemates had very good skin. I went ahead with Fraxel and Cooltouch - both of which failed to achieve its desired results and the recent cooltouch broke me out really badly on my temples - which sent me to a state of despair.

Funny thing is that I do have really close friends but I can't bear myself to relate such a problem to them as it seems so trivial. As such, I called in sick for close to a month; cooping at home, playing video games - basically just looping in this vicious cycle. So here am I ranting, at 2 am, with several active cysts, PIH and large pores to get myself some respite. Every morning I'd hope for clear skin (who wouldn't), only just to keep hoping for the next. I really wish to head back to work as I love my job (my coursemates, sightseeing, waking up in a new country every now and then) but the state of my skin is such a sore.

Well, I guess I really needed this rant. Please feel free to say hi! I hope we can rally support for one another and pull through. If any of you have any questions about ever joining as a cabin crew or even just a chat, do drop me a message! I'm more than happy to share with you my experience and make a new friend.

Hello Dear Fly Boy Fly,

I exactly know how you feel. It™s really hard when you can™t even talk to your friends about how acne makes you feel. It sucks. Also, I know how it feels like to have a very customer service focused role when you need to face people on a daily basis. I actually had a second stage interview today and I was offered a new position in a very well respected recruitment company. I had to attend an interview with a huge cyst on my cheek today. I felt horrible and ugly but still I was successful for the role. I came back home and guess what¦.I started crying like a baby! It™s just too much for me. New job, new people. I really don™t know how to cope within a new environment when I feel so horrible and ugly. Acne sucks and destroys me!!

MemberMember
(@flyboyfly)

Posted : 03/18/2015 5:29 am

Hello everyone.

Hello Dear Fly Boy Fly,

I exactly know how you feel. It™s really hard when you can™t even talk to your friends about how acne makes you feel. It sucks. Also, I know how it feels like to have a very customer service focused role when you need to face people on a daily basis. I actually had a second stage interview today and I was offered a new position in a very well respected recruitment company. I had to attend an interview with a huge cyst on my cheek today. I felt horrible and ugly but still I was successful for the role. I came back home and guess what¦.I started crying like a baby! It™s just too much for me. New job, new people. I really don™t know how to cope within a new environment when I feel so horrible and ugly. Acne sucks and destroys me!!

Hello Maggie!

I am 25 this year as well! Sucks to have acne at this age aye?

I'm really happy for you that you made it through the interview! Go forth for that position that you worked hard for and your worries about the pesky cyst can come later :) In any case, I hope you feel better after crying. If it makes you any better, every day is a new day and a new day for our skin to slowly get better. At least that's what I've been telling myself. My skin has calmed from all the breakouts but I'm left with some scarring which I hope to do away with eventually.

Keep me posted about your new role in the company! In the meanwhile, find courage in dealing with the new environment and people. I'm sure you can manage!

MemberMember
(@kitteechaosyahoo-com)

Posted : 03/18/2015 2:06 pm

Hey, I feel you :( I am 26, dealing with acne on and off since 12 or 13. My skin was great for a while but quickly went downhill these past 3 months and I am so depressed over it. I don't work anymore, not because of my skin, but because I stay at home with my 2 kids. Even though I wouldn't mind a part time job, I don't bother because I don't want to be forced to go out with my bad skin. I can't talk to my husband about it because he has good skin and just doesn't seem to want to hear it. It feels very lonely having this problem, when I hardly ever see anyone out and about that has skin problems. Maybe the ones who do have skin problems are like me and try to stay at home all day :/ I hate it so bad. The weather is starting to get nice and I just want to hide. I'd love to go out and have fun but I feel so self conscious all the time that it ruins my mood. It just sucks that our skin can have such a profound effect on our moods. It's so frustrating.

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 03/19/2015 11:17 pm

Hello everybody ...I'm sorry that you all are going through hard times, I understand.

But let me tell you something,acne can be controled , it's about finding that something that works for you.

There are over the counter products that can help,benzoyl peroxide, and exfoliators like mild glycolic acid and more aggressive salicylic acid . And if they stop working there is always the dermatologist ,retin a can do great if your face is not covered with scars or if you have eczema .

There is actually one that has a clindamycin antibiotic , that you can try if you don't have any colon problems , it's called ziana , this one works on those whiteheads that refuse to come out,

And for the last resort Accutane , again this is not advisable for people with colon problems or high cholesterol , and you will have to be tested during the treatment to make sure the drug is not affecting your health.

I have suffered with acne on and off , I'm 52 , and after my hysterectomy I went postmenopausal and acne cystic prone, kind of hormonal , because the acne is on my chin and above lip area and I think related to seborrheic dermatitis, I have been seeing the dermatologist for awhile and it seems that the treatments I have used in the past have become resistant to this kind of acne, because is hormonal, I still refuse to put more hormones in my body , since I already take synthroid for hypothyroidism.

But I tell you , I'm not giving up , we women at least have make-up to cover up , and if you happen to be a guy , well there are medicated concealers , you shouldn't worry what people think, we are going to be worrying because of the pimple that decided to pop anyways.

I have posted here what I have used and have worked for me, and I know some people who have read my postings probably might be saying, she changes her mind all the time , well I don't , because hormonal changes can only be controlled with hormones and right now doxycycline, at least in my case, but I still refuse to try Spiro, too many side effects.

And the treatments or products that I talk about, have worked and I have tested them, one of them being the acne.org benzoyl peroxide treatment that believe me, it can be used with over the counter products and it works.

My face is getting too fragile for peroxide these days , because it gets kind of dry , I guess it's a , I'm growing old thing. But my sister , and nieces use this treatment and it works really well, and as I said ,exfoliation helps a lot with any benzoyl peroxide treatment.

So , don't despair and get to read as much as you can , the forums offer a lot of help, and you don't have to go and do what others are doing, get ideas and decide what to do, always being careful, and gentle to your skin, while on treatments , never pop cysts or pimples , it's better to let the treatments work , only if necessary, and unavoidable, then popping is ok .

Take care.