Notifications
Clear all

Stubborn Closed Comedones

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 03/11/2015 4:34 am

I've had closed comedones form along my jawline and sides of chin ever since I started breaking out from messed up hormones. It has improved a lot but it's still very hard to get rid of. New ones pop up every month. They often turn into inflamed breakouts when my hormones spike so that's the main issue. Has anyone had any success with topicals? Meds? I attached a picture to show what it looks like (it is not of my face).

post-156068-0-83371200-1426066528.jpg

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 03/11/2015 10:59 am

Ahhhh I am right there with you! It's absolutely infuriating! I have has some of them for months and they are on both sides of my chin like this gal in the photo. Some of them have turned into normal sized pimples that grow a head in a few days and then disappear, some of them have gone away (a miracle) but most of them have grown into these large pustules that take 3-5 days to go away and are making me crazy because they keep COMING BACK! I currently have two small ones on the left side of my chin (with about 4 or 5 more closed comedones) and a HUGE one right along the right side of my chin basically on my lip. It looks like a disgusting cold sore (but it's not....I know the difference). I still have about 2 more closed comedones on the right side. Overall I've had about 30 of them in the last few months. I'm not entirely convinced mine wasn't caused by my toothpaste. I switched and haven't gotten NEW ones, but still trying to get rid of the old ones.

On to products that have helped. Epiduo has helped significantly to purge these suckers. It totally and completely sucks but they are all being flushed out and it has helped prevent them from continually returning. We have to get them out one way or another, my thought is get them all out ASAP and if I have to struggle with an annoying outbreak, bring it on! :) Also retin-A I'm sure would help them purge. I've also been using a dab of hydrogen peroxide when the breakouts occur and the pimple is opened either from a massive whitehead falling off or me popping them (gently and ONLY when ready) this helps to dry them out quickly as well as prevent further breakouts in the same area.

On with things that haven't! *These didn't work for ME, but might work for others. Cephalexin....I've been on it for 7 weeks today and it has done nothing. I'm done with it next week and pretty sure it didn't help even a little. Sulfur, I've used 4 and 10% for over 6 weeks and it helps to shrink them once they've grown, but it didn't help eliminate any of them. BP hasn't helped get rid of them either, been using that for 7 weeks.

Ugh I know exactly how you feel OP, I'm right there with you trying to get rid of these. I'm convinced that you just have to use a retinoid to get them out and let them just do their thing. It sucks. but will get better :) I hope this helps a little!

MemberMember
(@acnesucks543)

Posted : 03/12/2015 10:14 pm

Im having the exact same problem!! I recently bought some glycolic acid pads to help get rid of the dead skin cells causing these closed comedones. Except mine are appearing in all the areas where i usually break out, then turning into inflamed painful pimples (sometimes)

i will comment back how they work for me!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/16/2015 3:34 pm

I use an AHA toner and it works very well for those clogged pores like that. I used to use it everyday but I felt it was making my skin too red so now I try to use it every other day or so. You could try using a product with AHA or BHA daily or look into some sort of retinoid such as retin-a, differin or tazorac to speed up the cell turnover which will keep your pores from clogging up like that. I can feel your pain I used to get lots of breakouts in my chin area before using AHA and being on Spiro. Unfortunately I have lots of scarring on my chin to prove it.

Try not to let it get you down too much though because you have pretty good skin.

MemberMember
(@jess)

Posted : 03/23/2015 5:24 am

I've struggled with these buggers for years. I'm currently using BHA at night and its been helping. Their not completely gone, but theres been an improvement.

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 03/23/2015 5:26 am

I had the same thing, birth control and differin topical got rid of them, took a good few months and some of them came to the surface and got inflamed, I guess just part of the purging process but I'd say after about 4-6 months my chin was looking a lot clearer, just hyperpigmentation left by that point.

MemberMember
(@ashiqat-aljana)

Posted : 02/09/2017 2:02 am

Search for acne cosmatica, the closed comedones usually appear because of makeup. What type of foundation are you using?

MemberMember
(@sarahskinsuffered)

Posted : 03/06/2020 9:10 am

Monocyte, topical by amazeeq. Spironolactone 100 mg a day in a pill. Skin scripts raspberry refining cleanser, cucumber hydrating toner, and some light aloe Vera moisturizer. Also, I get facials every two weeks for lactic acid peels. I have hormonal cystic acne, closed comedones just like yours all over my chin and cheeks and some black heads. But doing all of those things has changed my skin. My skin looks better now than it did a week ago when I started amazeeq minocylate topical foam. Also do you vape? Bc I personally think the vape causes my closed comedones and maybe even the little ones like you and I have. I hope this helps. Ps I am an esthetician so I do have an understanding of skin beyond just a normal level.

MemberMember
(@crystalviolet)

Posted : 03/26/2020 9:58 am

It is not a 100 percent cute but green tea also help. Like all of you I try to eat healthy. I stay away from greasy foods. However, tired to try so many things to clear that milia I think it is called green tea helped me quite a lot. If it is hormonal lie mine, it is embedded in our DNA, this is how we are. I gave up, it been about 20 yrs. If You don't want to be forever in contraceptive, that at some point I think is not way too healthy. Accutane contraceptive, antibiotics they all have secondary effects acne creams as well will peroxide benzoyl let you skin sensitivity and adapalene is the same thing. Whenever you stop using them it is back to you. Just keep on going with a healthy diet low process sugar and green tea to control it at least, keep yourself hydrated. Good look guy. Looks for a cleanser that works for you too. People will sell us ton of crap due to we are desperate. You will learn that with time. Google green tea helps hormonal imbalance.