Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heather229

Anyone Tried The "clear Skin Forever" Diet?

Hi! Has anyone tried the 'Clear Skin Forever' diet? Mod Edit The authors believe the root cause of acne is diet. I'd be interested to know what other think & if they've tried this approach. Thanks!

Yeah, I didn't buy their book but I read and followed everything that was on their site and my skin has improved drastically, like 80-90% improvement. Their advice on taking a combination of VitaminD3, Zinc, and Omega3 Fish oil was probably the best thing I've ever done for my acne. Also, another advice that helped a lot was avoiding vegetable oil/saturated fat. Even though I was already avoiding dairy, I was wondering why I was still breaking out a lot. But after cutting out vegetable oil, I can confirm that I can finally control my breakouts with my diet now. With acne in control, I'm now in the works of getting my scars fixed. Yeah, honestly their website helped me out so much, I probably should've bought their book as thanks.

Tadamasa, no OLIVE or COCONUT oil either? I get the canola thing, as there are no 'canolas!'...but no olive or coconut oil either on that diet?

Yeah, I didn't buy their book but I read and followed everything that was on their site and my skin has improved drastically, like 80-90% improvement. Their advice on taking a combination of VitaminD3, Zinc, and Omega3 Fish oil was probably the best thing I've ever done for my acne. Also, another advice that helped a lot was avoiding vegetable oil/saturated fat. Even though I was already avoiding dairy, I was wondering why I was still breaking out a lot. But after cutting out vegetable oil, I can confirm that I can finally control my breakouts with my diet now. With acne in control, I'm now in the works of getting my scars fixed. Yeah, honestly their website helped me out so much, I probably should've bought their book as thanks.

Oops I should of been more specific, the website recommends avoiding polyunsaturated fat specifically. Realistically, humans are supposed to have a equal balance of poly and mono unsaturated fats , but since everything is fried nowadays, we are taking wayy more poly fat than mono fat. According to the site, polyunsaturated fat promotes inflammation, sebum production, etc, basically all negative stuff, while monounsaturated fat does the opposite(all positive for skin/health). But yeah olive oil and coconut oil have very small amounts of polyunsaturated fat, and olive oil even has a lot of monounsaturated fat which makes them very healthy. I believe the site recommended using these oils specifically. Yeah sorry for the confusion.

Tadamasa, no OLIVE or COCONUT oil either? I get the canola thing, as there are no 'canolas!'...but no olive or coconut oil either on that diet?

Hey! Devin Mooers here, author of Clear Skin Forever. Just wanted to clarify that we DO recommend olive oil (but not for higher-heat cooking since it's not as stable as more saturated fats), and we DO recommend coconut oil (excellent all-around fat for cooking, etc.).

We've found that vegetable oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, etc.) are some of the most potent acne triggers. Especially when you get them from eating out at restaurants - that oil just gets used and re-used in the same pans (esp. for deep-fried stuff). Very unstable oils, very prone to lipid peroxidation, which is a major trigger in the acne formation process.

Glad you got such great results Tadamasa!! Right on!

EDIT: If anyone has Q's on our methods, feel free to stop by our blog or just reply here!

Edited by Devin Mooers

Suggest you stay away from the Clear Skin Forever book. 
For most people it is what they take in that causes acne.  Food, fluoridated water, etc.
I have numerous food items I can not eat: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/353197-food-that-causes-acne/

However, Devin Moores is not an expert on acne treatments.  In fact if you search "Clear Skin Forever reviews" you will find phony review sites that say it is great, and then end with an attempt to get you to buy the book. 

Devin Moores has a blog, on which he has a long dissertation on peanuts cause acne, and recommends eating almonds butter and cashew butters.  But, there is no scientific support for his position on peanuts causing acne. 
In fact, I can eat all the peanut butter I want, no acne.  However, both almonds and cashews cause acne for me within one day.

Each person with acne has to test every food item they eat to see if it causes acne.  Some people are sensitive to dairy and some are not.  Some people are sensitive to peanuts, and some are not.

The way to look at any quick fix for acne, is to realize very few people have acne.  So most people are not sensitive to to most of the foods that cause others acne. 

The bottom line is Clear Skin Forever is no better than other acne books.  The book could be helpful for a few people, in the same way a broken clock is right twice a day.  This is one of the ways Devin Moores makes money, he is just marketing on this site.. 

Yikes, that's a bit harsh, AJM00001!

We've been doing this for about four years now, and have helped hundreds of people personally. We have an active member community where many people report total clearing of their skin by following our methods.

We talk about chlorine and fluoridated water as potential acne triggers in our book. In our view, acne is caused by three factors - diet, environment (toxins, etc.), and stress. We talk about all these in turn.

We talk about individual food testing, because we understand that not everyone reacts to the same foods. For some folks, dairy is totally fine, but others break out the next day from drinking milk. Some people tolerate raw milk, some people don't. Sounds like almond/cashew butter is a trigger for you, AJM. We've had people who react to pineapple, bananas, citrus, FCLO, all kinds of weird stuff I wouldn't expect - which is why we recommend that people test foods on themselves constantly (as I do as well).

From a personal perspective, I think acne books can be a great deal of help to folks who are struggling with acne and aren't getting any results from the standard dermatologist-recommended approaches. Acne Einstein, The Love Vitamin are another two great sources of information. Our readers have told us many times that we knew way more about the causes of acne than their dermatologists ever did. I'm not saying that's true of all dermatologists, just that it seems to be a trend that our readers have reported.

AJM00001, it sounds like you've got a lot of individual/specific food triggers - I totally respect that! Saying flat-out that acne books are useless, though, is a bit of a generalization. For me personally, the standard "common wisdom" treatments (BP, SA, washing face, etc.) did nothing. I was only able to clear up my acne when I started following Loren Cordain's The Dietary Cure for Acne back when I was in high school, and have refined those methods a lot through personal experimentation and further research. Yes, we do run a business. Is that such a bad thing? Businesses are built on value exchanges. Running it as a business allows us to work on it day in, day out, refining our methods, updating the book, reading the latest research, etc. There's not a chance in heck I would have time for all that if it wasn't my job! And that allows us to help a LOT more people than if were just doing this in our spare time.

EDIT: @AJM00001, I just added a bit to that peanut butter article to reflect your situation (i.e. reacting to almond/cashew butter, but not peanut butter) and further stressed that people experiment on themselves with all foods to really make sure. You're right, we can be a bit cut-and-dried sometimes - I will work on that.

Edited by Devin Mooers

On November 12, 2015 at 10:09:56 PM, Devin Mooers said:

Hey! Devin Mooers here, author of Clear Skin Forever. Just wanted to clarify that we DO recommend olive oil (but not for higher-heat cooking since it's not as stable as more saturated fats), and we DO recommend coconut oil (excellent all-around fat for cooking, etc.).

We've found that vegetable oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, etc.) are some of the most potent acne triggers. Especially when you get them from eating out at restaurants - that oil just gets used and re-used in the same pans (esp. for deep-fried stuff). Very unstable oils, very prone to lipid peroxidation, which is a major trigger in the acne formation process.

Glad you got such great results Tadamasa!! Right on!

EDIT: If anyone has Q's on our methods, feel free to stop by our blog or just reply here!

Regarding salad dressing. I was going to just go with an oil and vinegar mixture, but am now not sure if this is the best thing. What do you recommend? Thanks! 

1. Eat only foods that will eventually rot. 
2. Eat only foods that have been cooked/made by humans. 
3. Avoid foods that are advertised on television.

There's more to healthful eating than this, but in general I think it's a good start. I honestly don't think it's all about what kinds of oil you eat, but more about added chemicals, practices (organic vs non-organic), how processed any food is and also mild allergies and sensitivities or triggers. Vegetable oils are bad but realistically you're not gonna wanna learn all about the "poly-mono-hydro-lipid-saturation-etc" stuff. It's just that they are made of the nastiest, most modified and pesticide-treated soy or artificial hybrid plants using petroleum solvents and acids among other who-knows-what chemicals. Just read that again and think about it: to me it's not rocket science that this would make the human body become ill.

Stress is major when it comes to illness (aka.acne in this case). Stressing so much about what you eat can also be bad. Try to get organic, local, unrefined or untreated as much as you can and eat as much as you need. Learn your sensitivities and avoid them. I eat a lot of salad and make my own dressing depending on what I feel like.. like squeeze a half orange into some oil and add some pepper and basil and oregano and you got yourself a badass mediterranean dressing.

@dittus I agree 100%. Eat real food, avoid chemicals, avoid pesticides, avoid hexane-solvent-treated veg oils, avoid iron-fortified wheat products, avoid dairy from cows fed moldy GM corn and soy and antibiotics... the list goes on. Just get food from local farms/ranches/farmers' markets when possible, and the natural grocery when not possible. Avoid foods in boxes for the most part. Like you said, not rocket science! But there are a lot of moving parts to it, and it can be hard sometimes since our food culture is so saturated with industrially processed/derived ingredients. That's a lot of advertising and brainwashing to undo.

@kcurry90 I usually just drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on my salads, with a squeeze of lemon and some salt/pepper.

Edited by Devin Mooers

Im genuinely quite disappointed with the book, which i bought after reading the really helpful short blog posts on their website.

The book is nothing like the blog... i was expecting to have loads of explanations behind why i shouldn't eat certain foods like e.g 'peanut butter' . Instead it just spends a lot of time explaining the root causes behind acne. And isnt the point of the book being that youre using the book as a last resource after having gone to a dermatologist? And, in my experience anyways, my  dermatologists has explained these 'root' problems to me already... So what exactly was i hoping to come across when buying the book ?! Well i was lead to believe , after reading the blog, is that the book would break down the foods in a detailed way... but instead i came across a list of 'good vs bad' foods in all the different categories. 

Personally im quite upset i have just spent another 40$ on this sort of stuff... and im even more annoyed that on the website once you've bought the book... theres a 'buy our recipe book section for only 10$'... i read reviews of the book from the website and most people said stuff like 'going on the 4 week diet has really helped me'. another reason i though this would be more food orientated. 

Hi all

I am new to the site and while I haven't followed the Clear Skin Forever book, I am a great believer in that we can use nutrition to heal our skin. 

I suffered acne for years and through numerous dermatologists, was recommended using Roaccutane, birth control pills and antibiotics. Roaccutane was incredible harsh and actually caused a number of other awful side effects that I discontinued use. I had great success with the pill but obviously I needed to come off this while I was trying to conceive. Acne returned!!

My skin seemed to settle while I was pregnant- due to a rebalancing of hormones- but then after I gave birth I had such a rough time of it returning again. Out of desperation, I went back on the pill although my GP kept advising me that this was putting me at risk as I am +35 years of age.

About 2 months ago, I made the commitment to come off the pill but I did some research around acne and nutrition. I actually read a great article on the Huffington post by Dr Sara Gottfried http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sara-gottfried-md/acne-prevention_b_1669831.html She recommended reading 'Feed Your Face' by Jessica Wu which I did and got SO much benefit from. I decided to cut all dairy, sugar, coffee and replaced with a pretty whole food diet. Lots of veges, a little fruit, wholegrains, green tea and lots of water. Not only does my skin look good, it looks BETTER than when I was even on the pill. 

Obviously everyone is different but I am always interested in trying to get to the root cause of my acne which is due to somtehing going on internally rather than trying to put something topical on my face.

I wish you all well in your journey to find what works best for you. I am just pleased that I was able to discover what works for me!

Really love the book, finally got the know the causes and fixes of my acne after 10 years, thank you for that!!

First I was doubting to buy it, since the internet is trying the scam people a lot, but it is really worth every penny for me. All scientifically substantiated and I am seeing results already after a few weeks. Better, I feel and look way more healthy and loosing fat automatically. Maybe the diet thing is easier for me than for others since I am into fitness and nutrition for a long time (and also used a lot of dairy because of the proteins in it). Also the fact that the authors reply themselves on my emails and posts on their blog is really awesome to me. Devin is a real expert, not just on acne, but on practically everything regarding health if you would ask me. He references to many books etc. And no, I do not get paid for this review or do not know the authors personally, but I am just enthusiastic about this website/blog/forum/food explorer, that I have made an account on this website just to tell my story, seeing the negative reply on this topic (without any real substantiation in my view). If you read the book, you think of all the hours that these people have put in (knowledge of) the book, crazy.

On 11/17/2015 at 9:48 AM, Devin Mooers said:

We've been doing this for about four years now, and have helped hundreds of people personally. We have an active member community where many people report total clearing of their skin by following our methods.

We talk about chlorine and fluoridated water as potential acne triggers in our book. In our view, acne is caused by three factors - diet, environment (toxins, etc.), and stress. We talk about all these in turn.

We talk about individual food testing, because we understand that not everyone reacts to the same foods. For some folks, dairy is totally fine, but others break out the next day from drinking milk. Some people tolerate raw milk, some people don't. Sounds like almond/cashew butter is a trigger for you, AJM. We've had people who react to pineapple, bananas, citrus, FCLO, all kinds of weird stuff I wouldn't expect - which is why we recommend that people test foods on themselves constantly (as I do as well).

From a personal perspective, I think acne books can be a great deal of help to folks who are struggling with acne and aren't getting any results from the standard dermatologist-recommended approaches. Acne Einstein, The Love Vitamin are another two great sources of information. Our readers have told us many times that we knew way more about the causes of acne than their dermatologists ever did. I'm not saying that's true of all dermatologists, just that it seems to be a trend that our readers have reported.

AJM00001, it sounds like you've got a lot of individual/specific food triggers - I totally respect that! Saying flat-out that acne books are useless, though, is a bit of a generalization. For me personally, the standard "common wisdom" treatments (BP, SA, washing face, etc.) did nothing. I was only able to clear up my acne when I started following Loren Cordain's The Dietary Cure for Acne back when I was in high school, and have refined those methods a lot through personal experimentation and further research. Yes, we do run a business. Is that such a bad thing? Businesses are built on value exchanges. Running it as a business allows us to work on it day in, day out, refining our methods, updating the book, reading the latest research, etc. There's not a chance in heck I would have time for all that if it wasn't my job! And that allows us to help a LOT more people than if were just doing this in our spare time.

EDIT: @AJM00001, I just added a bit to that peanut butter article to reflect your situation (i.e. reacting to almond/cashew butter, but not peanut butter) and further stressed that people experiment on themselves with all foods to really make sure. You're right, we can be a bit cut-and-dried sometimes - I will work on that.

Yeah, I totally agree with Devin's answer, even though I haven't read his book. People are all different in their genetic makeup, their stress levels, their eating and sleeping habits, that it's impossible to generalize ALL people who struggle with acne under one umbrella.

Personally, I know that dairy triggers acne for me, but even if I have some sour cream or a piece of cheese throughout the day, I can kind of combat it with eating other antioxidant rich foods and taking some supplements. Soy milk is terrible for me too, making me break out all over my chin, which means it's hormone-related, according to face maps.

Cutting sugar and reducing carbs is huge too. And all of this combined with the right measures to protect your skin (i.e. exfoliating correctly, applying suncreen everyday, moisturizing adequately) have helped more than ANY prescription medication ever has. (I've taken doxycycline, birth control, prednisone, Accutane, you name it.)

It's all part of experimenting on what works for your skin.

On 11/17/2015 at 0:48 PM, Devin Mooers said:

Hello

Lets talk about the food concepts,
everyone has a different immune and tolerance, food affects everyone differently, its not the food for say that causes the skin issues its the toxins, and body response to such food, so know one can say this works for everyone it is very individual this is why the New England journal of medicine states no known cause of acne its a process of elimination  now for reality your skin is an organ of illumination its a gate to remove toxins, your stomach and your skin is made up of the same tissues,
I have had great results with just removing soy from ones diet, another result from adding more water to anothers intake, the key to all success is tracking and documenting for 2 months then attacking the common cause in that individual person, it is irresponsible to say that one size fits all especially in the skin world .