Clear all

Starting Accutane At 32

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 03/10/2015 11:56 am

THIS is why I started Accutane today.

downloadfile.jpeg?w=169&h=300 downloadfile-2.jpeg?w=169&h=300

Cystic acne. Hate it.

Been suffering since I was about 14/15. I™m currently 32 . That™s 18 plus years battling acne.

l™m always covered in makeup and lots of it. Not fun. I™ve been on many different antibiotics over the years. Had to stop when I was pregnant, on bcp and couldn™t take meds, or for other reasons. Not many people (adults I™ve known for less than 15 years) know my struggles with acne. I do a pretty good job masking the pimples most of the time.

Finally in October of 2013, at the age of 31, I decided to head back to the dermatologist particularly after my then-six year old daughter started drawing pictures of me with red spots on my face. I went on both topical and oral meds. (Pictures above were taken before seeing the dermatologist in October 2013) The acne did clear up a whole lot but I™m still breaking out over a year and a half later. Even still getting the occasional cyst.

So I™m done with acne. Isn™t over half my life a long enough struggle?

Going the Accutane route which is quite annoying with all the blood tests to make sure you™re not pregnant and signing a million things so you acknowledge the dangers of getting pregnant to the fetus. (BTW..I can™t get pregnant¦hubby is snipped and I™m on birth control pills) Had to wait two months to start since they test you once a month but you have to have two negative tests months to start the meds.

Day 1 of Accutane (3/9/15)

img_20150309_203537_657.jpg?w=169&h=300 img_20150309_203544_717.jpg?w=169&h=300

The pictures here are taken on my phone on the 9th. I have a few cystic pimples on my cheeks and jawline. There is great improvement from the pictures at the top but I'm SICK of being on an antibiotic and still breaking out. Right?

Just took the first pill tonight. Was reading user reviews of it. Some were quite terrifying while others gave me hope. I know people who went on it and were fine. Some had valid complaints/issues. I™m not a moody teen anymore with a history of depression. I™m 32, well-educated,and quite aware of the risks.

I DO worry about the side effects I might endure¦..mood swings, extreme dry skin/lips/eyes, nosebleeds, and muscle/joint aches. Biggest worry is permanently messing up my body. Hoping these next five months aren™t too terrible but I™m willing to try this.

Follow me on my journey with Accutane at the age of 32.

Day 2 (3/10/15)

I feel a bit foggy. But it could possibly be the recent time change. But I do feel kind of in a fog. I'm pounding the water...hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 03/10/2015 2:04 pm

Good luck! Hopefully this will be the end of acne for you!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 03/10/2015 2:35 pm

Hey

Good luck!
I feel your pain except im 42!!!

so hopefully by the time u hit my age, your acne will be loooooong gone!

Sorry if I missed it but did u indicate your weight and dose (think u said 5 mnth course?)

Im hitting my 4th mnth mark soon

Cant wait for this ride to be OVER!!

Kim

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 03/10/2015 8:39 pm

Hey

Good luck!

I feel your pain except im 42!!!

so hopefully by the time u hit my age, your acne will be loooooong gone!

Sorry if I missed it but did u indicate your weight and dose (think u said 5 mnth course?)

Im hitting my 4th mnth mark soon

Cant wait for this ride to be OVER!!

Kim

I'm 5'6 and 150 lbs. 40mg to start with and then double for a couple months.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 03/11/2015 10:33 am

I take the pill after dinner. So I just took the 2nd pill last night. So is the next day Day 2 or is today Day 3? If it were Day 3, I haven't yet taken my 3rd dose. See my confusion?

Anyways....being the day after my 2nd dose taken last night, I am still feeling a bit foggy in the head. If I move my head too fast or sharply, I feel strange. My skin is drying out a bit already around the nose and so are my eyes.

What I'm using to help combat all this:

taking 1000mg Vitamin E

drinking a TON of water (I'm talking about 100 oz or more a day)

CeraVa hydrating wash and PM lotion at night

I never go without lip gloss but will soon start using moisturing lip stuff

I need to go get eye drops. I'm worried that my mascara will get in the way and burn. Any drops women wearing makeup suggest?

I'm definitely up for more suggestions. What products/vitamins have worked for you?

The head fog hopefully will not affect me working out. I like to work out at least 4 days a week (cardio, Beachbody fast moving type stuff). Anyone experience any issues working out?

And is 40mg to start out with a lot? I'm 150 lbs..

Thanks!!!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 03/11/2015 12:05 pm

Hey

Im 130 and my Dr wanted me to start on 40mg than doible to 80mg

I was chicken and started 20mg for 2 weeks and bumped to 40mg (NO difference)

Didnt have real side effects until 60mg

My eyes have been affected the most and my lips

I use OTC drops every 2 hrs (had to see eye Dr to get ointment to use at night to keep eyes moist)

For lips, def start lip balm every 1-2 hrs and Dr Dans cortibalm 2x a day...I would start before they start peeling off :)

Other than that I have dealt with joint pain (mild) and exhaustion

Maybe its us older gals but my derm said that was not related to tane

BUT I tried 75mg and couldnt tolerate it...felt like a mindless lazy slug

anything else i can help you with, just ask

I dont work out so I cant help there

but i know others that have continued running etc and have been doing well

MemberMember
(@nomoreplease13)

Posted : 03/11/2015 9:45 pm

Hi Sherri1225,

I take Vitamin C and D3 every day - I read somewhere (can't find the link now) that Vitamin D is good for Isotretinoin users re bone health ....

I also experienced dry eyes early on and tried eye drops, but I was hopeless at remembering to use them and eventually my eyes calmed down. They still get a bit dry and sore, but if I remember to wear my glasses I am usually ok.

Re the head fuzz - I definitely had that to begin with, and then when my does went from 20mg/day to 40mg, but now it is fine. I play sports and haven't noticed any ill affects, except I sweat way more than before

I have to admit I giggled when you wrote about your daughters drawings, only because my daughter was the catalyst for me getting serious about fixing my skin too. They are so honest ..... but they love us anyway

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 03/12/2015 7:29 pm

Yes, kids are definitely honest.

Day 3

Eyes are showing signs of dryness. Not bad yet.

My skin is breaking out a bit on my cheeks but could also be because I've been off Doxy for a week and a half (maybe 2).

Head is less fuzzy but still feels a bit off. But I'm too busy at work (I am a special ed teacher) to really pay attention much.

I was able to do an intense cardio combat workout yesterday and felt fine.

I feel a bit sluggish today. Maybe it's the dry eyes making me feel sleepy. Not sure.

That's about it for side effects so far. So far...but I just took the 4the pill after dinner.

I've been pounding the water. 100+ oz of water. Using eye drops.

That's about it. Thanks for the support so far!

Emmygirl liked
MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 03/13/2015 11:11 am

Good Luck lady! I'm excited for you, it will work beautifully

I finished my first course last July and unfortunately starting my second course next week, however mine came back because I was not eating in the am while I took my pill and my derm thinks I only got half the dosage needed, so if you aren't taking absorbica make sure you are eating each time you take the pill (I'm sure you are, it seems everyone is/was aware of this but me haha!)

I would highly recommend aquaphor or healing ointment and q-tips because the inside of your nose will start to hurt and get REALLY dry and applying some of that up in your nose not only feels amazing, but also keeps the dryness and bloody noses at bay

I loved using simple visine for my eyes, you will definitely need some eye drops, they helped to alleviate the headaches from dry eye. Otherwise it seems like you have everything you need, and are doing everything right! CeraVa is definitely the way to go!

Also, I trained for a half marathon during my entire last course and can honestly say I never experienced any pain or abnormal aches so working out should be just fine :)

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 03/14/2015 5:42 pm

Day 5: nothing out ofordinary. Corners of mouth are a tiny bit dry but I'm constantly applying something to my lips. I'm drinking 100+ ounces of water. Eyes are a little dry, that's it so far.

One question: I drink Herbalife Formula 1 meal replacement shake with added Protein Powder 5-6 days a week (just one shake a day). It says about 23% Vitamin A plus a bit more when I add the protein. I know we are to limit our Vitamin A intake. When I spoke to the nurse, she said I should be fine. But I'm worried. Should I just do it every other day or just see if my blood work is elevated in a month? Has anyone else drank a protein shake during treatment?

Thanks and hope everyone is doing well!

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 03/23/2015 1:20 pm

Day 13

Nothing new. Lips aren't dry. (I have always moisturized anyways) Eyes just require a few drops. Skin is a bit drier around the mouth but I use the PM lotion even in the AM. I have to remember to avoid the sun, though. I was outside a bit yesterday and got a tiny bit red.

The cyst on my chin has gotten bigger and then developed a gross white head (which I gently squeeze a bit out...sorry if tmi). I would say about 3 small pimples have developed elsewhere but not noticable. But not sure if this is the IB or just normal "after Doxy" breakout.

Mind fogginess has lifted or I just got used to it. Mental state seems normal. (or normal for me)

No other side effects. Is that normal being almost 2 weeks in? Not that I want side effects but...

Oh, I'm on 40 mg once a day.

MemberMember
(@3wishes14)

Posted : 03/23/2015 3:46 pm

Day 13

Nothing new. Lips aren't dry. (I have always moisturized anyways) Eyes just require a few drops. Skin is a bit drier around the mouth but I use the PM lotion even in the AM. I have to remember to avoid the sun, though. I was outside a bit yesterday and got a tiny bit red.

The cyst on my chin has gotten bigger and then developed a gross white head (which I gently squeeze a bit out...sorry if tmi). I would say about 3 small pimples have developed elsewhere but not noticable. But not sure if this is the IB or just normal "after Doxy" breakout.

Mind fogginess has lifted or I just got used to it. Mental state seems normal. (or normal for me)

No other side effects. Is that normal being almost 2 weeks in? Not that I want side effects but...

Oh, I'm on 40 mg once a day.

Sounds like all is going well, your side effects seem manageable which is always a bonus!

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 04/14/2015 12:08 pm

I am on month 2 (day 36) where I take 80mg. And what a difference the double dose does to me. DRY eyes, thirsty, and very dry skin. See pics below. post-455793-0-41945700-1429031195.jpgpost-455793-0-51804400-1429031198.jpg I tried every kind of lotion out there so far. What has worked for you guys? My face looks a hot mess...peeling away.

But other than the eyes, thirst, and dry-peeling skin-I'm doing ok.

(sorry the pics are so big...)

MemberMember
(@jessa48)

Posted : 04/14/2015 7:33 pm

It felt weird shopping for moisturizer -- I'm so not used to looking for stuff for dry skin! WHat are you using now?

Your skin looks GREAT in those pictures!!!

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 04/15/2015 6:24 am

It felt weird shopping for moisturizer -- I'm so not used to looking for stuff for dry skin! WHat are you using now?

Your skin looks GREAT in those pictures!!!

I know what you mean. I'm used to buying stuff for "acne prone skin", not dry. LOL ;)

Well, I am using everything in gobs. I bought Ponds Dry skin cream. I slathered it on in a THICK layer and let it dry overnight. And in the morning I used some more of it, along with some Cereve AM lotion. I also stopped using my cream foundation (eeeekkk...which I hardly EVER do) and put more lotion on. I even used MaryKay Replenish lotion this morning. I'm just layering the lotions.

It actually feels kind of "freeing" to not wear foundation. I do have a bit of concealor and powder on, but foundation can be heavy. My skin doesn't look perfect but it doesn't look bad at all...but I will still be self-conscience about it all day, I'm sure.

And the breakouts aren't bad at all. So my skin looks clearer than it's been in awhile, but I was on doxyc for over a year prior to Accutane.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 05/01/2015 12:43 pm

Day 53 (on 80mg since month 2...150 pounds)

post-455793-0-01562500-1430501983.jpg

Sorry the picture is sooo big!

Skins looks pretty clear. No real active breakouts. I have one under my skin low on my cheek. And I can really see all my pits/scars since there's no pimples covering them up. I guess 17/18 years of this can really leave a "mark". <_<

My skin is dry. It's normally oily. It still flakes off by my chin area/jawline if I'm not diligent with the facial creams/lotions. I also use MaryKay micro-dermabrasion like twice a week (VERY GENTLY) to help remove the dead, flaky skin.

Eyes are still dry. Drops a few times a day help.

My lips only cracked in the corners. I am very diligent with putting gloss, Vaseline, lip balms, etc. on them constantly. But the dermatologist recommended this Dr. Dan's CortiBalm lip balm. Has Hydrocortisone in it. Feels great.

post-455793-0-17348500-1430502007.jpg

No other side effects. I guess I'm lucky so far.

I just got my blood drawn so I will know in a day or two if anything is elevated. It wasn't last time so I'm hoping that's still the case.

Hope all is going well with everyone.

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 05/02/2015 3:09 am

Awesome progress wishing you all the best

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 05/02/2015 6:21 pm

Great progress for 2 mnths!!!!

Looking good!

kim

MemberMember
(@jessa48)

Posted : 05/02/2015 7:13 pm

omg you look AMAZING. Can't wait until I get to 2 months!!

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 06/08/2015 10:31 am

post-455793-0-65503600-1433777302.jpg

Day 89 (80 mg for 150 lb)

Skin has only one breakout on my chin that has pretty much dried out already.

Love the Accutane!!!

Side effects:

dry eyes (manageable with drops), dry skin (lotion helps), dry lips that feel like they're being pulled tight 24-7 (but fine), and annoying doctor/prescription visits. lol :) I'm sick of getting my blood drawn and then it seems like my pharmacy always messes up the timing of things. I also notice more aging issues (like the dark spots under my eyes, but I'll gladly take those over pimples!)

But other than that, I'm happy!

I will be taking it until July or August.

Thanks for the compliments! This was the best thing I've ever done for my skin. No regrets...

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 08/02/2015 10:40 pm

Spoke too soon, although it's not the meds fault at all. I was doing well and very pleased with the treatment. But between the insurance and time constraints on this med, Im fed up.

Last month was a mess. The back up nurse never checked my blood test which then made me get blood drawn again but the 7 day prescription by the Dr had expired. I was then forced to forget the meds for a month because I went away for a week and my insurance might not have paid for a 3rd blood test on a month.

My last pill was on July 10th. Almost a month later without meds. I have one cystic pimple and two normal ones on one cheek. Fear it will get worse. Dr's appointment is on the 10th. :(

I don't even know how they calculate how much I've taken so far since March with all the delays I've experienced. And I bet I go back to 40mg for a month instead of 80.

Anyone else have issues like this? I love the meds but despise the routine dr/prescription time restraint.

MemberMember
(@notmyskin)

Posted : 10/25/2015 7:06 pm

It's nice to know I'm not completly alone out here. I'm almost 37. I have 4 kids. I never had a pimple u till around 30 one every once in a while. Then slowly a few more n so on..then about a year ago ERUPTION ON MY FACE like no other.i quit my job I didn't do anything this summer. I didn't even go grocery shopping g which is like my fav thing because I have to pick my own produce.. My kids dad did new school year orientation . I am a makeup artist who never even wore foundation or concealer because my skin wS amazing I got complements all the time on it. And the past year it's been so bad that when I try to cover with makeup it loos so bad! Acne shouldn't disturb your vision that's how bad. I would get so swollen in places that I could see it in my vision. It has left scars that look like open pores but a bit bigger. Probably about 15 of them.really ugly..it's really hard to not obsess about it when it goes from 0-100 in a matter of months. So my dermatologist finally put me on accutane (isotretinoin) and I started it 10-07-2015 . 40mg once a day and then alternate with two. I'm about 146. I hope that's enough to knock this out. I really want to obsesse about other things thN my eruptions lol I can upload a pic if anyone wants to see something scary. My profile pic here is just 11 months ago and no makeup.

Sorry for my messy grammar..iPad typing is very annoying.

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 10/28/2015 8:55 pm

Finished my 6 months at mostly 80mg a few weeks ago. All was well until a few days ago when a cystic pimple is developing on my right cheek. I had always broke out on my cheeks but haven't while taking Accutane.  Not even a month and I'm already breaking out with a cystic one???? 
20151028_214632.thumb.jpg.85a60760c96595

My left side is beautiful but my right is erupting.
20151028_214637.thumb.jpg.679097608785e8

Please tell me this is just an initial breakout and it should be clear after this.

I'm heartbroken... 

MemberMember
(@sherri1225)

Posted : 12/13/2015 10:55 pm

Two months post Accutane. Lovin' my skin. Did have that one big pimple but after that went away, my skin is clearer than it has been in probably almost 20 years!!!!!! No regrets!!!!20151213_224617.thumb.jpg.2cd7b382f790dcPhotoGrid_1450065266283.thumb.jpg.5198cf