Notifications
Clear all

Help! Is This Normal? (Pic)

MemberMember
(@ineedhelp214)

Posted : 03/10/2015 9:57 am

basically I overpicked a pimple a while ago, and tore the skin right off. Now a weird patch has formed; it feels smooth like regular skin but it kind of flakes off every once in a while so it's like a purple/grey scab. I put Neosporin or Vit E on in multiple times a day. Is this part of the normal healing process or am I just worrying too much? It looks like shit

http://imgur.com/Lzf1Lem

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 03/10/2015 2:06 pm

I'm a picker, so I've been through this so many times. When the skin completely falls off, the weirdest colored scabs/marks come up. Because it's flaking, dead/damaged skin is falling off in chunks, so I think new skin is healing here. I feel like it will continue to heal and leave a mark similar in color to the tiny one above your left eyebrow. You can see around the edges where the skin's less damaged that it's heading for that color. How long ago did you pick at the pimple? That's a huge factor in whether it's healing at a normal rate or it's been a bit too long and you should be worried.

MemberMember
(@ineedhelp214)

Posted : 03/10/2015 3:56 pm

I'm a picker, so I've been through this so many times. When the skin completely falls off, the weirdest colored scabs/marks come up. Because it's flaking, dead/damaged skin is falling off in chunks, so I think new skin is healing here. I feel like it will continue to heal and leave a mark similar in color to the tiny one above your left eyebrow. You can see around the edges where the skin's less damaged that it's heading for that color. How long ago did you pick at the pimple? That's a huge factor in whether it's healing at a normal rate or it's been a bit too long and you should be worried.

I'm ashamed to admit that this has been there since last July :( I haven't been able to stop picking the scab off...everytime it gets better I get so freaked out by the purple color that I just scratch it off. But I'm sure that the reason it's been there so long is because I keep picking it..this time, I'm going to stop for good. It's comforting to know that it's healing though.

In your experience, how long would it take to actually return to normal skin texture? It feels really shiny and too smooth at times, if that makes sense.

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 03/11/2015 8:59 am

I completely understand, I would do the same thing. Take vitamin c orally, it helps for skin repair. If you can go to a dermatologist, I'd definitely advise it because it's been over a year.

Here's some advice from Paula's choice, which is a pretty legit source. Things to add on to the process while you're just letting it be: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/acne/_/red-marks-and-acne-scars

Lastly there are peels for I'd say at least 3-6 months down the road. Peels are the holy grail for acne marks imo. I'm a little hesitant on suggesting strong peels because the darker your skin, the more risk. TCA are strong. You can read up on it though, see if it's for you. Light peels should be okay, like glycolic acid, lactic acid, and salicylic acid peels. Makeup artist's choice offers nice little kits for a low cost. I would not do these now, you've been messing with the collagen for a bit and it's best to give it a few months so it doesn't react badly. I saw a 60-90% improvement on my marks. It's wonderful for when your skin is all heal but discolored.

This will definitely improve though. Your skin is lovely, you have a beautiful tone. These things take time.