Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been taken oral antibiotics (lymecycline) for nearly 3 months now and I am not seeing an improvement whatsover and on the patient leaflet it states it should take around 8 weeks to see an improvement and it is already over that time. I have also been applying duac gel which contains 5% benzoyl peroxide and a topical antibiotic called clindamycin for 5 weeks now and on the patient leaflet is says an improvement should be seen between 2-5 weeks and it has also been over that amount of time and I am still seeing no improvement at all. I was wondering if anyone else had used these two treatments together and how long it took for them to work with you? I was wondering if I should keep going with these current treatments or go back to my doctor to try something else, what would you recommend?

Should I keep going and persevere? Did it take longer than the time mentioned to work for you? Or should I try something else?

I have had moderate acne for 2 and half years, I would say in the past year it has gone down to mild acne but I still breakout every other day so I would appreciate your recommendations

Sounds like you aren't using Salicylic Acid, which is a stable anti-acne treatment. It works by going into your pores and cleaning them out and encouraging cell turnover (to make new skin cells).

I would strongly suggest adding salicylic acid to your regimen. I recommend you check out Paula's Choice Clear line of products *mod edit- URL removed* They are the only products that have worked for me.

I would add that, and stop the antibiotics. I am not a fan of using oral antibiotics for acne due to risk of antibiotic resistant bacteria developing. Several pharmacists I've worked with *Mod edit- please see board rules* have also not been fans of using oral antibiotics for acne for the same reason. You could also ask to try a topical retinoid such as tretinoin (generic for retin-a).

Sounds like you aren't using Salicylic Acid, which is a stable anti-acne treatment. It works by going into your pores and cleaning them out and encouraging cell turnover (to make new skin cells).

I would strongly suggest adding salicylic acid to your regimen. I recommend you check out Paula's Choice Clear line of products *mod edit- URL removed* They are the only products that have worked for me.

I would add that, and stop the antibiotics. I am not a fan of using oral antibiotics for acne due to risk of antibiotic resistant bacteria developing. Several pharmacists I've worked with *Mod edit- please see board rules* have also not been fans of using oral antibiotics for acne for the same reason. You could also ask to try a topical retinoid such as tretinoin (generic for retin-a).

I have tried Salicylic Acid many times, in the form of cleansers, serums and moisturisers and it has never really worked for me or made any difference whatsoever, I am really stuck about what to do?

I don't know what specific products you've used but do know that the quality of the product matters. The pH needs to be right in a product containing salicylic acid or it won't be effective. Additionally anything in a cleanser won't do much because it gets rinsed off. I would suggest trying a BHA in a toner.