Notifications
Clear all

15 Day Picking Challenge

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 03/05/2015 10:36 pm

This is my post where I will be updating on my 15 day picking challenge. Normally, the challenges are around 30 days. I am doing the 15 day challenge with the hopes that after 15 days I won't need to.

I have read a ton about picking and popping pimples and I've come to a conclusion. Popping can be helpful for when you have those NASTY DISGUSTING whiteheads that just need to be popped but other than that, nothing else should be popped! Through personal experience, I've noticed that my forehead breaks out after I pick (about 3 days after). If I don't pick, everything starts to subside and there will be only little blemishes. But then the cycle restarts ): I will pick those little ones and three days after I will have pimples all over! Then they will scab and I can't cover them with makeup so it just looks awful!

I don't have cystic acne but I do get deep acne and some close to the surface skin colored blemishes. I only get it on my forehead, thats it. But, I do get irritation around my nose as well.

My goal: Clear skin and NO URGE TO PICK!

Day 0 (today): I picked I picked and my skin looked awful so I put some isopropyl alcohol on it and left it alone ... and here I am writing.

even though I told myself I wouldnt but oh well tomorrow is the day to start... its friday! My skin is red and irritated and I have a couple scabs close to my hairline. My skin is dry around my hairline as well. Hopefully, its less red and easy to cover up for tomorrow at school.

I picked and my skin looked awful so I put some isopropyl alcohol on it and left it alone ... and here I am writing.

When I feel the urge to pick I will do something to distract me (i.e. go on my phone, drink water, do some squats!)

MemberMember
(@tatortots12)

Posted : 03/06/2015 2:01 am

You have no idea how I want to pick my chin acne dude

But I'm with you,. How long does it usually take for your blemishes from your pimples after they've gone away natural or from picking?

Edit: neosporin has worked very well for me in cases that I actually picked my zit off or scraped it by my accident (like a pimple that fell off after washing my face roughly with a towel after a shower)

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 03/07/2015 1:47 pm

Tatertots: It takes prob around 3-4 days for it to not red any more and just a little bump and then probably another 1-2 days for it to be gone. Probably the same for when I pick it but the scab is just so unsightly.

Update:

So in the past two days I have picked which sucks. But I currently don't have any white heads just a couple of painful zits around my hairline. My plan is to not pick from here on out since there aren't really any white heads that I would've felt the urge to pick at them.

My skin's been getting super dry and flaky by applying so much benzoyl peroxide or whatever else so hopefully that gets better.

Day 1 starts today.

MemberMember
(@cicibabygirl)

Posted : 03/07/2015 10:30 pm

I think I'm going to try this. 15 days, then I'll re-evalute my skin and see if its helped or hindered. Obviously when I get those whiteheads or those deep ones that become really itchy, I will pop. But I will leave everything else alone! Day 1 starts tomorrow since I already picked today lol.

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 03/08/2015 2:05 pm

cicibabygirl: I'm glad you started it! The only thing I would recommend is not touching anything (even the deeper ones) because that spreads bacteria just let them heal on them own.

My forehead is looking pretty good but it is still super hard not to pick :(

MemberMember
(@stopitno)

Posted : 03/11/2015 12:29 am

Haven't kept tracks on the days.... but I have really been lacking on skincare because of school and sports but honestly not putting so much crap or acne meds on my skin has helped so much. I picked today which was so stupid but I don't think it injured my skin that bad. I am pleasantly surprised with the results so far and couldn't imagine the results if I hadn't picked a couple times :)

MemberMember
(@trout1248)

Posted : 04/11/2015 9:51 am

Good luck on your challenge! I'm starting today also and going for two weeks. I like these forums because it lets you be held accountable almost for at least trying! Good luck to all of you!

MemberMember
(@soulcandy)

Posted : 04/15/2015 8:52 pm

Alright, today's day 0 for me as well, I picked earlier and then before I went to work I had to cake on the foundation, which clogged my pores even more (per usual) so now I'm really, really trying to refrain from picking. It's so hard. The last time I went without picking for an extended period of time (3 days to a week is about all I can go) my acne still hadn't subsided. I had really pesky clogged pores and discoloration on the areas where I usually pick, which really concerned me.

Sometimes it's like the chicken and the egg, what came first? the acne, or the picking? and what spawned what? When my acne was gone, I didn't need to pick at my face. So my goal is to clear up these clogged pores and hopefully not further scar myself up.

I wish the rest of you luck as well

MemberMember
(@sracsgoway)

Posted : 04/17/2015 8:36 am

I used to visit an aesthetician from time to time and I somewhat adopted the aestheticians popping method. What I do is take acupucture-grade needles and lance the pimple. The biggest problem when people pop the pimple is they squeeze while it is enclosed so in the best case scenario you rip your skin, and at worst you risk spreading it. Lancing gives an opening and guides the pus out. do you use a needle for popping?